Italian football!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pirlo, Jorginho ? Maybe this is just a very Italian thing?

I would say DeJong was a bit of a 4/6 hybrid at Ajax?

Those old guys were actual defenders (sweepers/liberos) with license to carry the ball forward. They would be the defender sitting deepest when out of possession. Pirlo, de Jong etc. will take a position in front of the defence. I can’t think of any club/player actually doing the old school libero

Those old guys were actual defenders (sweepers/liberos) with license to carry the ball forward. They would be the defender sitting deepest when out of possession. Pirlo, de Jong etc. will take a position in front of the defence. I can’t think of any club/player actually doing the old school libero

Yes, I know the 4 was a libero in old times, but more recently - as in that screen shot I posted, 4 has also been used for deep lying midfielders or playmakers. I have a strange feeling Hoddle wore a 4 on his back sometimes, but I may be wrong.

I like Artur, I think he’s a really good 8 who will fit Sarri’s system, what I don’t get is that Pjanic was also perfect for Sarri’s system as the 4.
Pjanic is an excellent player, however, he has not managed to become indispensable in the Juventus midfield. His place has recently been taken by Bentancur who is a young but experienced man. At 18 he was already a starter in Boca Juniors and is a staple of Uruguay

Pjanic is an excellent player, however, he has not managed to become indispensable in the Juventus midfield. His place has recently been taken by Bentancur who is a young but experienced man. At 18 he was already a starter in Boca Juniors and is a staple of Uruguay
Really?
I don't see anything special in Bentacur.

Arthur is 24. If he didn't show anything so far.. It's not like he's 20 ffs.

Yeah, cheers, I've seen that before. I get it from a financial "deal" perspective. I'm just a bit baffled from a footballing standpoint. Pjanic being absolutely perfect for that Jorginho/Napoli/Cheslea remit Sarri loves.
Sarri had predicted a great Pjanic as a team metronome. It did not really convince. Much talent but little personality. The exchange with Arthur is his technician who in fact "financial" was in fact closed before 06/30/2020, to be budgeted.

I think of 6’s as having a more defensive remit or style but who can still play a bit of football generally. 4’s I think of as more deep lying playmakers- Pirlo (at the later stage), Guardiola? (Maybe), Jorginho (who at Napoli had Allen as a more lateral 6 and Chelsea had Kante) Pjanic at Juve.
Yes.
In the old tradition the 6th was the "Beckembauer". 4 a "low" midfielder of rupture and setting: the median.

Really?
I don't see anything special in Bentacur.

Arthur is 24. If he didn't show anything so far.. It's not like he's 20 ffs.

I assure you that Bentancur is a great player. Maybe less flashy than Pjanic but stronger physically, very concrete. He is 23 years old (1997) but has been playing at high levels since 2015. It is after Pjanic. We hoped to find a new Pirlo in Pjanic but Pirlo is the Master, it isn’t replicable.
I don't know Arthur's characteristics well, but according to the newspapers his departure has turned against the players-coach (at Barcelona)

I assure you that Bentancur is a great player. Maybe less flashy than Pjanic but stronger physically, very concrete. He is 23 years old (1997) but has been playing at high levels since 2015. It is after Pjanic. We hoped to find a new Pirlo in Pjanic but Pirlo is the Master, it isn’t replicable.
I don't know Arthur's characteristics well, but according to the newspapers his departure has turned against the players-coach (at Barcelona)
Yeah, Arthur is bit lazy. Not really the talent they thought he would be.

Lazio Milan 0-3
Juventus Torino 4-1

Escape Juventus
Acceleration Milan
gazza5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom