Ivan Perišić

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ivan Perisic has insisted that he wants to continue playing professional football until he turns 40.

The Croat has been ageing like a fine wine and is coming off two fantastic seasons at left-wing-back. One of those was under Antonio Conte, where he played a key role in helping Inter end Juventus’ dominance in Serie A, bringing the 2020/21 Scudetto to the San Siro.

Despite being 33 years of age, Perisic remains extremely fit and insists that he is ready to test himself in the most physically demanding league in the world.

He told Sky Sports: “It’s important how you feel inside. I like to work every day, I like to work hard and when we do the sprint test I’m still on the level. My wish is to play until I am 40 and I think I’m now in the best stage, and I can still give a lot.

“I’m ready. I know it’s going to be tough. I’ve followed the Premier League for many years. I know the tempo is amazing, but like I said, I’m ready and I was working hard during the last season and I was preparing myself to come here and to be competitive here.”

Perisic scored 10 goals and provided nine assists across all competitions from left wing-back last season (Transfermarkt), and Tottenham fans will be hoping that the experienced wide-man is able to add more attacking edge down the left-hand side.

Conte helped to convert the new Spurs signing into a successful wing-back at Inter Milan, and Perisic admitted the position is perfectly suited to his attributes.

He added: “With him [Conte], I changed my position and he likes to play with three at the back. At Inter we used to play with 3-5-2 and I was on the left as a wing-back.

“In the beginning, I needed a few games to adapt. It’s really something new after so many years as a winger, but I think later I did well.

“Especially also last season with [Inter boss Simone] Inzaghi, because we kept playing the same tactic and now also here we’re going to try to play a similar system.

“I like to play in this position because I have more contact with the ball than as a winger and most of the time I’m facing the goal – and I also like to help the defence. I think it’s the perfect position for me.”

Please no more pound shop Bale. Perisic in all big games, and then Udogie next season.

In hindsight , he really should have started today , his presence would have calmed everything down in that first half . He seen it all before at the very top level . Surely starts next week?
Agree 100% with so many nervy players, a calming influence at the back would have been great.

TBH, I hope to see all three of our big signings start next game. Son can come on later, let Richalison run them ragged first.

He’s obviously going to start when Conte thinks he’s fit enough. Conte didn’t bring him in to ride the bench.

It just might be more of a game management thing imo. Fit as hell at 33 is really different to 22. I think we will see these 2 rotating a lot with more of the minutes going to Sess and Persic coming on and just completely changing games.

He messed up a bit on 1 corner, then sent a bunch of beautiful crosses in. What a player he is going to be this season.

Unbelievable whip on that corner for the equaliser.

Would be shocked if he doesn't start games going forward.
Him instead of Son also makes sense cos you want Son in the box since he's got a good shot on him.

He’s Got to start next game you can see his qualities plus going forward gives us so much more. Sessenghon still has so much to work on to become a starter at wing back .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom