Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Part of a future coaching set up at Spurs.
Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Toby also posted congrats - what a great partnership we had there, miss them so much

Feelings Tearing Up GIF by Channel 7

Just seeing this thread makes me wish he was still here, I know his legs seemed to be going in his final days but think he had enough technical and tactical nous to adapt and work around that, would he currently be inferior to Davies on the left of a 3 atb?

I doubt it.

Or would he be offering less as a squad member than Rodon?

Caveat this with the fact that I haven't seen anything of him on the pitch lately!

Because of the original war in 2014, they had to move out of their stadium which is in the Donbas region which the Russian claimed. I've just had to check and, my bad they didn't move to Russia it was out to the West in Lviv (which is like 5k miles away, Donbas is on the east), they moved again but to Kharkiv, which is a new 40k stadium so not the one pictured, although I guess there a strong chance that isn't standing too given whats happened there now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ayer-celebrates-victory-against-Woolwich.html

'Super Jan knows what a NLD is about': Tottenham fans revel in club legend Vertonghen's celebratory tweet after huge win over Woolwich gave them a shot at Champions League football... and claim he is their 'future manager'​

• Tottenham faced Woolwich in a crucial north London derby on Thursday
  • Jan Vertonghen sent out a celebratory tweet in the first half as Spurs went ahead
  • Tottenham supporters loved the confidence of their former defender
  • Spurs went on to dominate the game to close the gap to the top-four
By SAM BROOKES FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 10:35 BST, 13 May 2022 | UPDATED: 10:35 BST, 13 May 2022

Jan Vertonghen rubbed salt into Woolwich's wounds by posting a celebratory tweet during the first half of the north London derby as Tottenham eased to a 3-0 victory on Thursday.
The Belgian defender represented Spurs between 2012 and 2020, and clearly had a close eye on the game as his former side took the lead through a Harry Kane penalty, before Rob Holding was sent off just after the half hour mark for a second bookable offence.
At this point, Vertonghen took to Twitter to post a smiling face emoji with a bead of sweat, much to the delight of a number of Tottenham fans.

Vertonghen was delighted with Tottenham's start, posting this tweet in the first half

Vertonghen was delighted with Tottenham's start, posting this tweet in the first half
One fan claimed Vertonghen knows how important the north London derby is to the fans

One fan claimed Vertonghen knows how important the north London derby is to the fans
Another supporter stated that Vertonghen will always be remembered fondly by Spurs fans

Another supporter stated that Vertonghen will always be remembered fondly by Spurs fans
One fan wrote that Vertonghen is still remembered as a 'legend' at the club

One fan wrote that Vertonghen is still remembered as a 'legend' at the club

Another added: 'Once a Spur, always a Spur.'
There was a similar message from a fellow supporter, who wrote: 'Jan you legend, you are forever Spurs!!'

Vertonghen's tweet came when Tottenham were only 1-0 up, albeit against 10 men, suggesting there was still time for Woolwich to get back into the game.

However, the 35-year-old was evidently convinced that a comeback was not on the cards, and he was proved right. One follower admired Vertonghen's confidence as he revelled in Woolwich's misery.

One supporter felt Vertonghen's reaction to Tottenham's dominance was 'savage'

One supporter felt Vertonghen's reaction to Tottenham's dominance was 'savage'
One fan is looking forward to Vertonghen potentially becoming Tottenham manager one day

One fan is looking forward to Vertonghen potentially becoming Tottenham manager one day

'Savage,' they replied, on what would turn out to be a dismal evening for the Gunners.

Vertonghen is still playing at the highest level for Benfica, and he helped the Portuguese outfit make the quarter-finals of the Champions League earlier this season.

However, one supporter was already getting excited about the prospect of Vertonghen returning to Tottenham, this time in the dugout.

'Can't wait for Jan to be our manager!!!! Legend!' they posted.

Spurs are now firmly in the hunt for Champions League football, having closed the gap to Woolwich to just a single point with two games of the campaign remaining for both sides.

Su-per Jan Vertonghen!

Definitely club legend status. I wonder which of the current crop will match his importance to us. Romero is looking likely. Deki too.

Back
Top Bottom