Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From Sky...

Although the club are yet to confirm the player's recovery time, MCL injuries carry different rehabilitation periods depending on the severity of the tear.

Typically, a minor or grade one tear can take up to 10 days to heal sufficiently to return to sport, while a grade two tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.

A grade three tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the anterior cruciate ligament, in which case the recovery time may be longer.

Fuck!
Doesn't give details to the extent of damage, if it is a tear then that's an op and him done for the season. So hopping that he has stretched the ligament, if that's the case then it could still be a month or more???
I wouldn't think it was that nasty, he'd have been in a bit more pain and wouldn't be walking off. I would wager it's a first degree MCL sprain.
To me it looked as though when that thief who's nicking a living as a PL footballer, Wickham, maliciously elbowed him he went over & landed on his knee. He also looked concussed.
Kind of like the Mason knee injury - impact. Don't think he's twisted it.
Probably won't see him for about 4 weeks if it is, meaning he will miss Norwich, Watford & Man City and could be back for Swansea.
That's taking into account the FA cup tie and Fiorentina legs, games he'd maybe be rested for anyway.
Less if there's no damage.
Hopefully it's nothing.
It does sound to me a 1st degree MCL sprain. It could be 3-4 weeks before he even starts training so I would suspect he may not even be back for Swansea or Spam away.
It will all rest on how quick he recovers from the treatment and into training. 3 weeks and I'd say he will be in contention for Swansea and Spam. 4 weeks before resume training, then it's touch and go. However, everyone responds and recovers differently and each injury is different.
It's a blow to lose him at such a crucial time as he and Toby have been massive at the back and are equally comfortable playing on the right and left basically as full backs - as Poch CB's have to be.
It has worked extremely well for us.
I would suspect that Wimmer has been groomed to do the same - I don't know if he is equally as comfortable playing at LB.
He looks capable and from what I have seen he looks comfortable with Toby. I just hope the understanding is there.

Last edited:
Isn't the two months just speculation? To make a more clickable headline. It seems to be the worst case scenario, based on the different levels of damage posted by others. I haven't seen a time frame mentioned by the club.

Having said that the silence on the matter is worrying me the most. You would think, the club would put the message out with a month out at worst, if that was the case.

Honestly would prefer verts fit but needs to be looked on as an opportunity.
Shift Dier to CB, drop Alli deeper, Son on the left, and Eriksen in the middle. Perhaps away from home put Wimmer in and Dier in the midfield. Just my two cents.

Wimmer hasn't put a foot wrong when called on, I have no worries with him pairing with Alderweireld. The real impact that we face is on possible future rotation whilst we compete in three competions. That said the biggest impact on our defence this season has been on how we have defended up to pitch rather than the CB pairing, if we continue to press high and protect the back four then no worries.

There are pictures in the Barcelona thread of him on crutches. It always seems to me that return from injury is frequently longer than predicted.
But he's up and walking, albeit with crutches. So fingers crossed he is out for a minimum time possible.
Wimmer in at centre back for me. Don't put Dier there, whilst he is capable,he is doing a fine job where he is at the moment

Agreed re Wimmer but after playing only a few matches, can he play twice a week? I doubt it and Toby and Dier have had very little rest this season. looks to me however much we do not want it, Fazio will have to play some part starting Saturday.

Usually you walk off ligament tears, but if it was very severe he wouldnt be out walking around with the team in Barca. Usually, they'll restrict travel and movement in general of it is a severe tear. Its probably a good sign he is in Barca with the team. Either that or he is being grossly mismanaged.

Back
Top Bottom