Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just hope vertonghen is not too bad.
Good sign was that he was standing.
I have done that many times without rupturing ligaments.
yet I feel he'll be missing until at least March. Swelling down, motion back, impact etc before training. Rush him back and he's at risk of same injury again or developing others.
Maybe for Southampton at home, or if we're lucky the 2nd leg of the EL 16.

By the sounds of things, it was just a good sign he was breathing!

Rimmer was fantastic when he deputised for Verts previously so I have no worries there. Out of our main starting XI, I think Verts is the most replaceable, which is weird. He's still class though and I want him back asap. It's just that we have good cover there

He's had an outstanding season so far. He's gone up a level this year and we will miss him. Big Kev can do a job for us, as can Ben, so we're covered, but it's a shame Verts will miss so much time in what has been , for me, his best season with us.

So let me get this straight.
Minimal mention for Spurs with regards to being in the top 4 in the last couple of weeks, all others mentioned, Utd are the ones on fire and challenging for the title.

But now Vertonghen is out for a few weeks, Sky Sports spoken headline is "Spurs Title Hopes dashed".

You gotta laugh.

Minimal mention for Spurs with regards to being in the top 4 in the last couple of weeks, all others mentioned, Utd are the ones on fire and challenging for the title.

But now Vertonghen is out for a few weeks, Sky Sports spoken headline is "Spurs Title Hopes dashed".

You gotta laugh.

It's a waste of time listening to them though. Ignore them and enjoy Spurs. All that matters!

Rimmer was fantastic when he deputised for Verts previously so I have no worries there.

:adeohshit:

rimmer.jpg

You gotta laugh.
If we beat Man City then they'll act like we're a title challenger that has come out of nowhere.

Perhaps they're hedging their bets by holding off any Spurs hype if/when that happens.

You mean hyped for Wimmer? :allitongue:
Not thrilled in any way about Verts' injury, but not concerned in any way with Wimmer (hopefully) getting around those 10 - 12 PL games a season again, just like last year. Hopefully, because I don't want to see Davies in that position. I know he played in that role with Wales in the EUROs, but playing him would mean we only play with one proper CB in Alderweireld. And with Kompany back for City, a bit of height defending corners and crosses will do us good.

So, this weekend, Wimmer.

I've seen some posts and tweets that we should 'upgrade' Wimmer. But there is no one in the market which fits our profile so well as him (left footed, not the slowest, international player, good passing range, minimum one season in a top league) for the 5 million we paid for him. The scouts did a good job here.

Not thrilled in any way about Verts' injury, but not concerned in any way with Wimmer (hopefully) getting around those 10 - 12 PL games a season again, just like last year. Hopefully, because I don't want to see Davies in that position. I know he played in that role with Wales in the EUROs, but playing him would mean we only play with one proper CB in Alderweireld. And with Kompany back for City, a bit of height defending corners and crosses will do us good.

So, this weekend, Wimmer.

I've seen some posts and tweets that we should 'upgrade' Wimmer. But there is no one in the market which fits our profile so well as him (left footed, not the slowest, international player, good passing range, minimum one season in a top league) for the 5 million we paid for him. The scouts did a good job here.
I don't agree at all that people say we should upgrade Wimmer. He's young and has a fantastic reading of the game already. Is strong and can put the ball about. Excited to see how he steps up in the next few years as i think he can just get better and better

Back
Top Bottom