Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great guy. Great defender

Not better than ledly

Ledders imo was different gravy

Yeah, Ledley in this current team would be godly. What King probably lacked was the ability to lead a defence - all too often his individual ability would be let down by others around him. Jan's defending improved greatly with the addition of Toby to our back line - someone who would read the threats and cover for his more attacking style. It's to his credit that even without Toby at the back, he's maintained that level.

Yeah, Ledley in this current team would be godly. What King probably lacked was the ability to lead a defence - all too often his individual ability would be let down by others around him. Jan's defending improved greatly with the addition of Toby to our back line - someone who would read the threats and cover for his more attacking style. It's to his credit that even without Toby at the back, he's maintained that level.
Every partner next to ledley looked the bollox

Then awful the moment they played without him and were expected to lead the defence

Nothing wrong with Ledleys ability to organise the defence

:ledley:
>---I---<
___/;___

What I like here, is that you took time to edit it so the correct knee is fucked.

That's dedication.

55534e59d649c_roy_castle.jpg

To think a couple of years back people were questioning his attitude because of this photo.

article-2593232-1CB6026D00000578-871_634x528.jpg

:windy:
It's fair to say his attitude/body language in that tunnel wasn't what you expect from a Snr player about to walk out onto the pitch. He's admitted to such only recently (but not attributed this specific event, he was more general about his attitude/body language). A thousand things can be read into the attitude of a player, I'm sure had we won 8-0 that day people would attribute Jan as cool, calm influence on the dressing room and his attitude played a big part to the win, blah, blah, blah.....

But it's safe to say, he's never done that again. Which might suggest that he's upped his game somewhat. For me, Vertonghen has been one of the Clubs most important signings in a decade, I'm not just refereeing to his ability and talent but he really was a big signing at the time. He chose us over Woolwich, now I don't usually pay any attention to this kind of shit as most of the stuff in the press is clickbait and there is no better way to get clicks than link every potential signing with your biggest rival, job done. But he was linked with them for a good year before he came to us, some reports had it as a done deal. I also like how Levy flew out to meet with him. Bit more than anything look at who we bought in behind him, Lloris, Eriksen, Toby etc., etc..... for me Jan was a keystone to this current team, a player of immense quality that underpinned our aspirations.

As we know there was a lot going on that year, it's been the only disappointment I have had with him, I put him up on a pedestal prior to this and expected him to drag us through a difficult spell, be a leader, be Roy of the Rovers type of character. It's often said you find out more about a person when the chips are down, well that year he burst my bubble. He didn't step up, or I should say he didn't appear to step up as god knows what really happens behind the scenes.

The turning point for me that put him back in my good books was following his performance at QPR there was something that clicked with me during this game, it was also when Poch came over to us fans after the game (taking photo's of his sons who were also with us). His interview after this game: 'WE DESERVED TO WIN' - JAN 7 March 2015 - Video - tottenhamhotspur.com It's hard to quantify feelings, but just felt he and the team were starting to click (especially in the 2nd half where we showed some of our high pressing game). (Mind you we followed this us by shitting our pants against Utd in the next game, hey ho).

Like Hugo and Eriksen, another player whom, upon reflection, its a miracle they stuck with us through the AVB/Timmy debacle.

Blatantly stepped up and reinvested himself during the Poch revolution.

Better than ever this last 2 years.

At one point, I'd concluded that Toby was his proverbial shot in the arm. Far from sure of that now...

Back
Top Bottom