Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Massive mistake if we're indeed selling him

If not - Poch, please swallow your pride and play him - Sanchez was Chiriches levels again Toon

A different photo from the Villa game showed him without glasses and no black eye....

Ergo it happened after that.

Didn't notice him sporting a shiner when on the bench during the City broadcast either.

Last edited:
Just partner him with Sanchez and let them become that promising partnership that was blossoming in 2017

- Is he considered fit enough yet?
- Will any beef between him & Poch be squashed for the greater good?

...I don't think Jan was eyeing up a trf this past summer, so this won't simply be resolved by the trf window closing next week.

2017/2018: At the time I was a big advocate of Dav retaining his place in the interests of his development last year. Pandering to Toby hasn't done Dav any favours nor ensured Toby would commit his future to us... Lose/Lose. :(

(Also see Rose/Davies and Rose still professing to want out which for some reason is evidently about Spurs, not depression, homesickness or a quest for glory - See Watford.)

The wildcard in this CB situation is Jan tho... Rightfully or wrongly he's in exile which makes it all the more likely that he'll leave next summer too; in which case there is a certain logic to persisting with Toby/Dav so long as Toby is deemed more likely to remain here as our most senior CB.

In scenario's such as the numerous highlighted above, playing the currently so-called 'better' player is proving to not pan out in our favour.... Unfortunately, I'm not sure we have the balls to not repeat the same mistake in the case of Eriksen.

Regardless of their peaks and history with us, Jan (33 by next summer), Toby (30) and wantaway Rose & Eriksen aren't our future and our future is nigh. I can list many reasons why it didn't happen (in terms of both the broader club agenda and an individual player basis), but our #PainfulRe-build in terms of outgoings would have been far less painful and arguably more lucrative in terms of incoming fees last summer.

FightingIllini FightingIllini - I believe we bickered about this a lot over the summer. Althought we don't live in a ideal world, your position is becoming increasingly vindicated as the early season unfolds.

Last edited:
I don't understand why he'd beef with Poch though. Didn't he say that he wanted to continue playing for us? He also was an important first team player, so it's not like he didn't get minutes. Wtf?

I don't understand why he'd beef with Poch though. Didn't he say that he wanted to continue playing for us? He also was an important first team player, so it's not like he didn't get minutes. Wtf?
That's the really baffling thing. And with how stubborn Poch can be if he feels slighted it could mean that he keeps Jan on the bench indefinitely on principle alone.

That's the really baffling thing. And with how stubborn Poch can be if he feels slighted it could mean that he keeps Jan on the bench indefinitely on principle alone.

Doubt it - he didn't leave Alderweireld on the bench forever when he was "making a point"

Even then though, Sanchez and Vertonghen were performing brilliantly together whereas Sanchez and Alderweireld aren't really. So it makes sense to bring him back in.

I don't understand why he'd beef with Poch though.

"IF" there's any beef......

- Maybe they've locked horns over whether Jan is fit to play or not...?

Didn't he say that he wanted to continue playing for us? He also was an important first team player, so it's not like he didn't get minutes. Wtf?

We'll know if/when he extends his deal.

Doubt it - he didn't leave Alderweireld on the bench forever when he was "making a point"

Even then though, Sanchez and Vertonghen were performing brilliantly together whereas Sanchez and Alderweireld aren't really. So it makes sense to bring him back in.

think the issue is neither Alderweireld or Sanchez are left sided CBs. whereas Vertonghen is. So the Sanchez, Vertonghen partnership works better than the Alderweireld, Sanchez pairing.

“We have four centre-backs and all four are right-footed,” Leverkusen manager Peter Bosz told German football magazine Kicker and fuelled speculation that his club will sign another defender before the transfer window closes on September 2.

Last week, Sportbild reported about a Bayer interest in Liverpool’s Dejan Lovren (30), but Kicker now report that Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen is on the German club’s radar.

The 32-year-old lost his starting spot at Spurs this season and has not played a single minute so far. Leverkusen could offer the Belgium international a long-term deal to make up for paying him lower wages, with his current deal running out in 2020. Tottenham are thin at the back, however, having only four natural centre-backs under contract, with Juan Foyth (21) currently recovering from an ankle injury.

"IF" there's any beef......

- Maybe they've locked horns over whether Jan is fit to play or not...?

We'll know if/when he extends his deal.

The fitness theory just makes no sense considering how many times especially Dele and Kane were rushed back and played without match fitness because they said they were fine. Jan is way less injury prone and stable so there's no reason he'd be left out over it imo.

I guess Poch is just doing his disciplinarian routine on him and trying to teach him a lesson ala Toby, yet considering Toby ran down his contract and was left out for months because of it, I'm not very hopeful....

Really doubt there's been any physical altercation though, he'd never have made the squad in that case.

Back
Top Bottom