Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

😭 this breaks my heart.
I hate the idea that his time with us is coming to an end, but hope we can use him to the end of the season. I would love to see his goal celebration once more.
Don't think it helps when he's played at left back, exposes his loss of pace.
Said it many times, him and Alderweireld can't play together. They are too slow and can't cover each other.

The fact is, it was a ridiculous starting line up and it should have been changed far earlier than it was. But Jan is done, plain and simple. The commentary in that clip is typical, McBananaman (whoever came up with that, take a boo son...) it could have been anyone of three. No it couldn't, it had to be Jan because it was him Southampton were getting all their success through.

Sat next to him on a flight from Stansted to Amsterdam, a few years back.

With it being mine and the wife's first trip to Amsterdam, and not being too sure where to go, he showed us through Schipol airport and directed us to the correct platform and train. It's only after this revelation with Eriksen that I realised he was probably eyeing up my missus!

All jokes aside, he was a true gent and was happy to sign a birthday card for my old man and have photos taken etc with me and my missus.

The guy has been a great servant to our club and has been instrumental in our relative success over the last 8 years or so.

The legend badge is banded around too much but for me, this guy will go down as one and will forever be Spurs.

My username says all you need to know really.

He was the start of the better teams we’ve had. Look at some of the dross he’s had to play with at times, but he has remained and has served us well. No question he us a legend. I hope he can pull it together for a mini revival the rest of the season and - although a long shot for the club - earn a medal which he deserves.

Not creating an argument, but can I ask you what criteria you believe makes up a legend?
I know it's different, but I like the NRL way of doing things. In all the years of the sport they have 13 "Immortals", the best players to play the game. Up to 2011 they only had 7. Yes it will expand rapidly with players such as Lockyer, Thurston and Smith all being added soon. But in all the years of the sport they have 13 players as legends. That's how football should be. Instead someone who had 100 games and never stood out is considered a legend at some clubs.

Jan deserves to be considered unquestionably, but could you put him in the top 15 or 20 players of all time. That to me is what a legend is.

With the emergence of Tanganga and the decent displays put in by Sanchez, and also Davies getting back I think his playing time will be very limited. If it wasn’t for his passing range, I’d actually put Alderweireld on the bench aswell, quite a few times he looked a bit past it.

Felt very uncomfortable seeing Jan sad though. Hope he’s ok.

There’s a lot of talk on here about him being finished. I think we are being premature here. He had a bad game last night, but he looks tired and could well be carrying an injury.

He wasn’t finished a fortnight ago. Seems to be a bit sudden that a fit 32 year old is finished. Usually there’s a longer descent towards being finished than 50 minutes.

Granted, he’s not as good as he was, but I’d suggests he’s far from finished.

I think rotating Jan & Toby is key. I honestly don’t think he’s past it. He is vastly experienced and a great servant to the club. If we can use them alternately with our younger defenders (but not in the same defence) then it can only be good for the younger lads to play alongside such good, experienced defenders who know the dark arts inside out. Last night was a tough watch but let’s not throw him out with the bath water just yet. I have a feeling that he will come good again as long as we don’t expect him to be chasing down rapid wingers as a LB for 90 minutes every week.

With the emergence of Tanganga and the decent displays put in by Sanchez, and also Davies getting back I think his playing time will be very limited. If it wasn’t for his passing range, I’d actually put Alderweireld on the bench aswell, quite a few times he looked a bit past it.

Felt very uncomfortable seeing Jan sad though. Hope he’s ok.

Maybe he was thinking about Eriksen and his wife now being in Italy.

Sooo far away.

:pochsmirk:

He looked really poor last night BUT has been great for us, a proper footballer and one whom clearly has a fondness for the club and the fans.

If this is to be his end then so be it but he'll always be loved and respected by every single Spurs fan.

Isn't the "fake" sticky vicky her daughter.
i.e. the one that got the ball rolling...
I dunno. All I know is, when in the less than salubrious resort ( family stag do) I saw a bar with a sign advertising sticky vicky, and another one advertising the real sticky vicky.

Frankly, I detested the place. I dont understand why we, the british, turn into mannerless cunts when we go overseas and have a beer, but its fucking embarrassing

Time waits for no man.

Great servant, sorry to see him looking past it, and I think realisation hit him last night.

But you never know, he could have an Indian Summer yet. I don't think that will be his last game in a Spurs shirt.

I know it's different, but I like the NRL way of doing things. In all the years of the sport they have 13 "Immortals", the best players to play the game. Up to 2011 they only had 7. Yes it will expand rapidly with players such as Lockyer, Thurston and Smith all being added soon. But in all the years of the sport they have 13 players as legends. That's how football should be. Instead someone who had 100 games and never stood out is considered a legend at some clubs.

Jan deserves to be considered unquestionably, but could you put him in the top 15 or 20 players of all time. That to me is what a legend is.

That's more like a hall of fame tho. (Does the above mean that each year someone is relegated? ...How is the demotee decided?)

Have both if necessary, but clubs and fans should be able to revere their heroes as they see fit; not on a regimented basis.

Not creating an argument, but can I ask you what criteria you believe makes up a legend?
Is he one of the top 20 / 30 players to play for Spurs coupled with a trophy?

For example Dawson won a trophy but is he top 30? No, so not a legend. Hoddle won trophies at Tottenham and is a top 30 all time player. So, definitely a legend.

Great player for us but talk of him being a legend is silly.
A lot of disagrees for this, legend is clearly subjective I suppose.

There’s a lot of talk on here about him being finished. I think we are being premature here. He had a bad game last night, but he looks tired and could well be carrying an injury.

If he was injured why not just play Dav?

(Who should have retained his spot anyway imo)

He wasn’t finished a fortnight ago. Seems to be a bit sudden that a fit 32 year old is finished. Usually there’s a longer descent towards being finished than 50 minutes.

I can understand why; but you're being somewhat charitable here......

He's struggled all season.....

I think rotating Jan & Toby is key. I honestly don’t think he’s past it. He is vastly experienced and a great servant to the club. If we can use them alternately with our younger defenders (but not in the same defence) then it can only be good for the younger lads to play alongside such good, experienced defenders who know the dark arts inside out. Last night was a tough watch but let’s not throw him out with the bath water just yet. I have a feeling that he will come good again as long as we don’t expect him to be chasing down rapid wingers as a LB for 90 minutes every week.

Gotta stop dropping Sanchez for old(er) guys.

Back
Top Bottom