Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was before the game that he was leaning against the wall. Not fired up and didn't give a f&#k that day. Unforgivable
havent watched his total career... but could it be we're letting one moment (we're all allowed one off day at work - not everyone can be up 100%) affect our perception?

havent watched his total career... but could it be we're letting one moment (we're all allowed one off day at work - not everyone can be up 100%) affect our perception?
It’s always interesting with older players. They have a poor season and they’re “shot”. 22 year old has a poor season and “we need to find a way to get them back to their best”.

I’m not saying Jan isn’t done at the top level, but equally I wouldn’t be shocked if he went to Inter and won the league starting at CB for them next season.

He could just be in poor form. It happens.

I have no recollection of that, but I heard it being discussed on a football podcast in the last week or two. 'Tis said that Poch later took him aside to speak about his poor body language.
Maybe his was trying to stop the wall from falling down in that dump

It’s always interesting with older players. They have a poor season and they’re “shot”. 22 year old has a poor season and “we need to find a way to get them back to their best”.

I’m not saying Jan isn’t done at the top level, but equally I wouldn’t be shocked if he went to Inter and won the league starting at CB for them next season.

Most of the time the 22 year old is in his way up and headed towards his prime. The 32 year old is past his prime and declining.

He could but I’ve seen him several times this season and he looks to have lost a couple of yards of pace

Sadly as he’s been great for us

It was as if he was trying to make himself as small as possible.

Agreed

I hate seeing that from our players

Haven’t forgotten Paulinho and Adebayor turning their backs in the defensive wall for a free kick a while back
Disgraceful really

This is different. His mobility has gone to the dogs. We knew he was slowing down, but the decline in recent times has been alarming.
Teams are now targeting the space in behind him and Alderweireld and I said a good while ago you can't play them together anywhere along the back line.

This is different. His mobility has gone to the dogs. We knew he was slowing down, but the decline in recent times has been alarming.
I wasn’t saying it was the case about Jan. Just a general statement about how quick people are to write older footballers off when they have a bad patch.

Back
Top Bottom