January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The knock-on impact of Barcelona buying Coutinho and Dembele before is that Real Madrid will now be forced into making marquee signings.

So all of us need to hope Hazard does not sign a new contract at Chelsea or that Ronaldo finds the form that usually escapes men of his age.

Put this way I think we are maybe a half decent world cup showing away from having to fend off a 175/200 million pound summer bid if Madrid want to plunder 300 million in the summer.

I can't even bother replying to such deluded bullshit - you've totally lost the plot. Deary me. Sissoko and Dembele not a priority - FML what trolling
Wanyama and Dier are our first choice CMs with Winks Sissoko and Dembele behind.

You have read that twitter says Milan want Dembele so you have decided he's now a priority to get rid of.

I think anyone who actually follows Spurs knows that a creative AM/Winger is a priority right now, possibly even a striker

I could go through the whole team and almost say we could improve everywhere. We could improve on Vorm or even Lloris.
Doesn't make them priority.

You know what the difference is but you're just going to keep on and on as if you don't know what I'm talking about. Such a massive, massive tool.

Not saying i agree with those 5 people completely. But Sissoko is as good as finished for us and Dembele is certainly aging and is so injury prone. That leaves, Wanyama, Winks and Dier to cover 2 vacant CDM positions. I wouldn't say that's much depth at all to be honest and I do think we need to add to it.
I've heard that Sissoko is done for a year and I'm not sure why people have discarded Dembele in the bin.

We've been playing games with too many CMs if anything

Wanyama and Dier are our first choice CMs with Winks Sissoko and Dembele behind.

You have read that twitter says Milan want Dembele so you have decided he's now a priority to get rid of.

I think anyone who actually follows Spurs knows that a creative AM/Winger is a priority right now, possibly even a striker

I could go through the whole team and almost say we could improve everywhere. We could improve on Vorm or even Lloris.

You know what the difference is but you're just going to keep on and on as if you don't know what I'm talking about. Such a massive, massive tool.
So dier and wanyama are our first choice centre mids....how many games have those 2 started as a pairing this season. The answer should tell you central midfield is a priority.

Last edited:
I've heard that Sissoko is done for a year and I'm not sure why people have discarded Dembele in the bin.

Fair enough. I agree with you. But within the next couple of seasons it will become a priority to bring in new players to replace these 2. Think we need to bring in replacements early so they have time to integrate with the squad before becoming a first choice starter. Instead of being thrown in at the deep end and playing with players they've never played with before in bigger games because they're a new signing. Admittedly that worked with Davinson Sanchez but it's not going to be the same for everybody!

The games where we have too many centres mids are the matches against West Ham and Wes Brom where they come with a back 6 and 4 in front.

Against teams that are around us we need depth in centre mid. Sissoko isn’t good enough. Dembele is great but ageing. Winks is suffering with an injury. That leaves us 2 defensive mids unless you drop Dele or Eriksen back.

Gomes would be the perfect fit.

We don't play 2 CDMs in most games - do you even watch us play?
No I have not, I don't read Twitter nor have a ever said that. Again you've created a false scenario in your head - you're completely delusional

Creative AM? Like Dele, Lamela or Son you mean? Or even Eriksen?

Dembele is 30 and permanently injured and Sissoko is average at best - neither are good enough for a ream challenging the PL Top 3. Only a troll fool would argue otherwise

So dier and wanyama are our first choice centre mids....how many games have those 2 started as a pairing this season. The answer should tell you central midfield is a priority.
Wanyama missed 3 months and Toby is back in a few weeks (meaning Dier´s role is way more defensive)

Do you think a priority signing comes in an area that we have two first choice players we are happy with? You think we should upgrade on Dier or Wanyama to cover Toby's injury?

A priority for me is a creative AM or winger.

Funny how you were all crying for Barkley, Zaha, Mahrez, Sessengon, Malcom etc and now it's a CM you want. Today.

Today everyone wants a CM

Proper odd place this is becoming

Last edited:
We don't play 2 CDMs in most games - do you even watch us play?

If we had no injuries all season, could you please tell me what our first choice CM paring would be

Creative AM? Like Dele, Lamela or Son you mean? Or even Eriksen?
Yes, who else? Like Gazzaniga or have I missed something?

Id like to be able to rotate Eriksen and Dele and give them real competition for places. Lamela and Son do not rotate with Eriksen and Dele.
Maybe you have missed that somehow.

Dembele is 30 and permanently injured and Sissoko is average at best - neither are good enough for a ream challenging the PL Top 3. Only a troll fool would argue otherwise

Both helped us finish 2nd and both are good enough back up.

Im sitting here laughing....all the people who demanded we support the players now have the knives out! LOL, DEMBELE GET RID!!

Wanyama missed 3 months and Toby is back in a few weeks (meaning Dier´s role is way more defensive)

Do you think a priority signing comes in an area that we have two first choice players we are happy with? You think we should upgrade on Dier or Wanyama to cover Toby's injury?

Funny how you were all crying for Barkley, Zaha, Mahrez, Sessengon, Malcom etc and now it's a CM you want. Today.

Tend to be in agreement.

In order thougb.....

I think we need a pacy striking option whether that be attacking midfielder or an out and out striker. It's about options.

Then I would like a midfield option if not the above and thirdly a left back as I think Rose is a traitor irrespective of how good he is and I have to support him when he plays and I don't want to.

Of the above a striking option is necessary this month in my opinion. The other two are in anticipation of one or two summer departures.

The Andre Gomes transfer makes sense and also probably explains why we didn’t get Barkley.

We were linked in the summer, but Barca wouldn’t allow him to leave due to failing to get Coutinho. Now he’s been signed they will need to offload. Looking at highlights it seems he’s a very strong and direct centre mid, almost Dembele like. Gomes and Wanyama could be a great partnership.

Gomes, Sessengon and Moussa Dembele would be a lovely window.
Gomes was really good at Valencia he's since dropped off while at Barca. Both Real and Barca seem to have this amazing ability at destroying player confidence.

Sometimes a club is just too big for a player.
A lot of younger players also rush off to the big clubs at the first possible opportunity and end up paying for it. Rather than staying put and plying their trade and proving that they are not just a flash in the pan. For every Asencio or Dele who end up working out quickly there are at least 20 young prospects that end up suffering from making the big move too soon.

Yup, probably not at the same level of quality but Sigursson always struck me as the same, would of been better staying a big fish in a little pond and all that.

I think Gylfi was a little unfortunate with the timing. He’s the type of player you need to build your team around. Wasn’t going to get that at Spurs. Clint Dempsey was the same. Although 12 goals was a pretty good return.

Have you still not learnt there is no such thing as a first 11, you have injuries/suspensions or 3 games a week in some cases where rotation is needed especially in a position like cm. Dembele unfortunately is getting to a stage where injuries are becoming frequent and at the age of 31 we can't rely on him, Winks is a potential long term replacement but he is still young and also fairly susceptible to injuries, Dier & Wanyama are both quality and should fight it out for the holding spot in the 2 but someone is needed in the other spot who's not so defensive. I think Poch identified this as a target in the summer when we were chasing barkley and at the end Gomes. And for the record I agreed that AM/winger was our main priority in the summer, but seeing this season unfold with the amount we've been forced to play Sissoko in the middle I feel CM has become the priority.

Have you still not learnt there is no such thing as a first 11, you have injuries/suspensions or 3 games a week in some cases where rotation is needed especially in a position like cm. Dembele unfortunately is getting to a stage where injuries are becoming frequent and at the age of 31 we can't rely on him, Winks is a potential long term replacement but he is still young and also fairly susceptible to injuries, Dier & Wanyama are both quality and should fight it out for the holding spot in the 2 but someone is needed in the other spot who's not so defensive. I think Poch identified this as a target in the summer when we were chasing barkley and at the end Gomes. And for the record I agreed that AM/winger was our main priority in the summer, but seeing this season unfold with the amount we've been forced to play Sissoko in the middle I feel CM has become the priority.

We very much have a first 11 other than the rotating full backs.
Injuries are not what determines major signings, so why would a first team CM be a priority for us?
A priority signing is one which will improve us in an area we are lacking.

That is up top against teams who park the bus, i.e. a creative AM like Zaha/Mahrez or a striker that's better and quicker than Llorente.

If someone offered me Modric or Ronaldo today, I know who I'd take

Back
Top Bottom