January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have already said I am willing to rotate Dele and Eriksen. Do you disagree they are first choice 99.99999% of the season?

Are you saying you would rather another CM than say Zaha or Mahrez? Be honest, if we could take one of Modric or Ronaldo, which one do you think would help us beat teams that park the bus better?

For me thats our biggest problem.....11 men defending deep.

Consider which type of player is the best choice in those games. The West Ham last Thursday, we have Modric and Ronaldo on the bench. We've made two subs already, 30 minutes left. Who do you bring on?
By the way, thats theoretical before everyone starts saying I would Bench Modric for Sissoko.

That for me is Ronaldo all day long, every day of the week. That is why I think a priority signing should reflect our biggest problem as a team, as opposed to "Dembele is injured", and he's not even first choice.

You are in denial that some players are first choice, well its a fact. When Toby is fit, who do you think goes to the bench. I'll bet you 100 quid its Son, and I think you know that too. Our first choice AMs, and their back up still come up short in these park the bus games.

Everyone knows we need someone with invention in the team, despite having some excellent players up top.
My issue is that I dont think the players I want rotated will be rotated. For me Son should be able to challenge Dele for his spot, but thats just not the case, so I worry that any new AM will be allowed to start ahead of him anyway.
Yes I would rather a better option in central midfield than Sissoko than a zaha or mahrez, In an ideal world yes I would love a mahrez aswell as a CM but considering we have son,dele,eriksen and lamela I think a centre midfielder is a more urgent target.

Your hypothetical isn't the best as of course you would say bringing on a Forward player with 30 minutes left makes more sense than bringing on a center mid, but even so our issue that day wasn't not having players who can put the ball in the back of the net, it was slow sideways passing and a lack of creativity. So to answer your question yes I think Modric would be a better fit for our side right now than Ronaldo.

I don't think that's necessarily true that once tobys fit Son goes straight out because we have no idea what circumstances we are going to be in once he comes back. Maybe we have an injury/suspension to sanchez/jan, maybe son is coming off the back of a hatrick, maybe we are on a winning run playing the 4-2-3-1 that poch doesn't want to change. That's my point in having a squad rather than a first 11, Poch's first 11 could change from week to week or from month to month.

sammyspurs sammyspurs the only players that have truly earned the undroppable status are Lloris, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld, Eriksen and Kane.

Aurier and Rose are good enough to get into that category if they can play close to their best on regular basis.

The rest of the team is expendable imo.

sammyspurs sammyspurs the only players that have truly earned the undroppable status are Lloris, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld, Eriksen and Kane.

Aurier and Rose are good enough to get into that category if they can play close to their best on regular basis.

He seems to think CM and DM is the same position. It’s like a Tony Pulis essay on modern tactics

No player is undroppable is and should be the starting gun.

I get that some players are less likely not to feature but I really dislike the idea that a club who have won nothing can place players on a pedestal.

And to add that although I would have benched Alli on occasions his mere presence on the pitch cannot be underestimated.

Got to say I find this whole debate on us not needing to improve the squad a tad nonsensical.

We need additions if we want to win things. We can remain competitive and be content with that or moving forward seek to add quality or develop those we currently have or both.

I stand maybe on an island on my own in believing we still lack the last piece of the jigsaw.

If I had it my way, even Vorm would get PL games.

Dele has seen the bench twice in a season and a half, and the first time he was injured. How is he not on your list?

Ive already said the full backs and CM is interchangable so what exactly are you pointing out?

He seems to think CM and DM is the same position. It’s like a Tony Pulis essay on modern tactics

Have you worked out what our first choice CM pairing is yet with a fit squad?
You seem to think that by using both Wanyama and Dier at the same time means we are playing two DMs.

While you claim Im the one who doesnt know the difference.

Have you worked out what our first choice CM pairing is yet with a fit squad?
You seem to think that by using both Wanyama and Dier at the same time means we are playing two DMs.

While you claim Im the one who doesnt know the difference.
You’re done mate - I’ve answered all your questions. Remember - Lloris is a higher priority than Sissoko

Yes I would rather a better option in central midfield than Sissoko than a zaha or mahrez, In an ideal world yes I would love a mahrez aswell as a CM but considering we have son,dele,eriksen and lamela I think a centre midfielder is a more urgent target.

Your hypothetical isn't the best as of course you would say bringing on a Forward player with 30 minutes left makes more sense than bringing on a center mid, but even so our issue that day wasn't not having players who can put the ball in the back of the net, it was slow sideways passing and a lack of creativity. So to answer your question yes I think Modric would be a better fit for our side right now than Ronaldo.

I don't think that's necessarily true that once tobys fit Son goes straight out because we have no idea what circumstances we are going to be in once he comes back. Maybe we have an injury/suspension to sanchez/jan, maybe son is coming off the back of a hatrick, maybe we are on a winning run playing the 4-2-3-1 that poch doesn't want to change. That's my point in having a squad rather than a first 11, Poch's first 11 could change from week to week or from month to month.

If you think Modric would have more chance of getting us through those games we have struggled then fair enough.
Its weird that you think a forward would be the better option but would still have Modric.

Forget the 30 minutes, I knew the scenario would just be ignored for what it was anyway, and as you say even if it was a whole game, you think Ronaldo wouldnt be of much use to us.

:llorishuh:

Regarding Son, your views are "maybe this, maybe that, maybe this, maybe that...."
Im simply judging on the history of what Poch has done, which to me is a bit more logical....yes I could be wrong, but I stand by my prediction and fully expect Son to see the bench and the same goes for if we sign Mahrez, it will be Son dropped, and if we see any rotation with Dele and Eriksen it will be for the new signing.
But regardless, when Toby's fit we will go three at the back, which means full backs, which means 3 up top.

Last edited:
You’re done mate - I’ve answered all your questions. Remember - Lloris is a higher priority than Sissoko

Whatever I think about Sissoko, or Dele or Lloris, or Son, it really doesnt matter.

You joined an Woolwich chat forum.
You joined them, and chatted and were friendly and polite amongst them.
You are a member of ars.nil mania.

You are a joke, an absolute, shameless joke

Whatever I think about Sissoko, or Dele or Lloris, or Son, it really doesnt matter.

You joined an Woolwich chat forum.
You joined them, and chatted and were friendly and polite amongst them.
You are a member of ars.nil mania.

You are a joke, an absolute, shameless joke
None of that has anything to do with how badly you’ve been owned on some basic tactical understanding of our formation and current players. You can deflect all you want with irrelevant bullshit but the facts remain - Lloris before Sissoko.

None of that has anything to do with how badly you’ve been owned on some basic tactical understanding of our formation and current players. You can deflect all you want with irrelevant bullshit but the facts remain - Lloris before Sissoko.

Here is a nice post from you in the "Introduce Yourself" thread on arsnalmania:

Spurs fan here.
Looking for some decent discussions and intelligent football related debates. I come in peace.

Cheers, mate.
I'll see how it goes. Most of my friends are Gooners :| so to say I'm uninformed would not be entirely true.
BTW - how do I setup my avatar?

tenor.gif

Why not just answer. Because answering Ronaldo would mean that CM isnt your priority?
I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I have never stated CM or any other position is priority this window. Poch said we should recruit now for next season which I agree but do not expect much as we never buy much in January.
Just trying to add some humeur.

Back
Top Bottom