January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said earlier, I was using the language of the original poster who was trotting out the "no strikers are available and if they are they're too old" line.

Still, anyone who thinks that going into the second half of the season with no strikers is the way forward is welcome to try and defend that position.

giphy.gif

Well there aren't that many available, and even just in the PL - Spurs, Utd, Chelsea and Villa need a striker.

No, not all.

You asked for one team at any level who don't have two senior strikers.

I didn't even have to think about it.......there are probably others, even in the PL.

Edit: Villa have only Wesley. There will be others.
Man Utd only have Rashford as a senior striker- unless you count wide forward Martial (he's more like Son/Lucas imo) l. Hence why they use the likes of Greenwood from the youth ranks.

Not a good model, but pretty common.

As I said earlier, I was using the language of the original poster who was trotting out the "no strikers are available and if they are they're too old" line.

Still, anyone who thinks that going into the second half of the season with no strikers is the way forward is welcome to try and defend that position.

giphy.gif

Son plays as a striker for S Korea and is better than anyone we have been linked to in that position. If Jose is able to get plan that doesn't involve lumping it forwards he is our best option.

Get a decent striker and its a different story, but I don't see us getting a decent striker if we do bring one in January.

No, and it’s simple why.

Hes 33, on £300k a week and PSG want £12m for him.

Now, let me introduce you to Daniel Levy.
I know it's easy to speculate but couldn't we get him on loan or something? We'd pay his wages yes, but that would be like what, 8m per year? Much cheaper than paying 30m for Piatek + his wage. Even if we paid let's say 10m loan fee that'd still be less than what we'd pay for any striker we're linked with.

One of the world's richest clubs and the club that has spent over £1,000,000,000 on players are both looking for forwards. That is only including two clubs fighting for top four in England. How many other clubs are in this pool is anyone's guess.

I know it's easy to speculate but couldn't we get him on loan or something? We'd pay his wages yes, but that would be like what, 8m per year? Much cheaper than paying 30m for Piatek + his wage. Even if we paid let's say 10m loan fee that'd still be less than what we'd pay for any striker we're linked with.
Then what in the summer? When Cavani is 34 and we need to replace him? We've paid £10m+ on a player we need to replace again.

He's a good player but financially it doesn't make sense. I agree it'd cost more if we missed out on UCL football, but we need a striker that is good for now and the future.

Then what in the summer? When Cavani is 34 and we need to replace him? We've paid £10m+ on a player we need to replace again.

He's a good player but financially it doesn't make sense. I agree it'd cost more if we missed out on UCL football, but we need a striker that is good for now and the future.

I still think it's likelier we'll go for a short term fix now and then try to find a better option in the summer. This also means we're not likely to spend too much on a striker now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom