January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not necessarily the best, but top quality.

Skriniar would qualify, maybe upamecano. Can't think of any from PL.

Could likely cost 50m+ but doubt any CB will go for 100m in the current market
To be charitable to Mou, I think he's more of a big picture coach, he needs his players to be intelligent and able to read the game for themselves as well.

He doesn't have the aptitude or the inclination to teach football basics, preferring to give instructions like "If you see Kane on the ball make your run", "when you see Kane drop deep, it opens up space, go into that space".

He talked a bit about how Luke Shaw has no brain and needs to be walked through the game for 90 mins. I feel our CBs are a bit like that. Technically OK but tactically utterly clueless.

Upamecano may have pace. But he is based on what I have seen not positionally aware enough to make these recoveries consistently either.

When Leipzig went to Old Trafford this fall he was more or less at fault for all of United's goals. And against Dortmund recently he was legitimately lost for all of Dortmund's goals. One two of them he was lost up field to add to that. Leaving his partner to try and defend the box on his own.

I get that Upamecano is the new hot shit and on his day he is phenomenal. But whenever I have watched Leipzig this season (and I try to watch a fair bit since they have a guy from my neck of the woods in their attack) he looks way too inconsistent for me to be comfortable throwing the money they request at him.

He is still young and developing but he is not the guy I would bring in and expect to lead my defence. I would have him next to a defensive leader, but not as one.
He's pony.

Every now and then a new name comes along as the hipster's fave but it will soon fade. Seems like Upamecano replaced Koulibaly on that front recently.

Upamecano may have pace. But he is based on what I have seen not positionally aware enough to make these recoveries consistently either.

When Leipzig went to Old Trafford this fall he was more or less at fault for all of United's goals. And against Dortmund recently he was legitimately lost for all of Dortmund's goals. One two of them he was lost up field to add to that. Leaving his partner to try and defend the box on his own.

I get that Upamecano is the new hot shit and on his day he is phenomenal. But whenever I have watched Leipzig this season (and I try to watch a fair bit since they have a guy from my neck of the woods in their attack) he looks way too inconsistent for me to be comfortable throwing the money they request at him.

He is still young and developing but he is not the guy I would bring in and expect to lead my defence. I would have him next to a defensive leader, but not as one.
Ramos was also like that before Capello and Mourinho. Some things can be coached while others are more inherent.

With the question of affordability, we have to make some concessions. Players like Skriniar will likely cost much more than Upamecano.

Mourinho can still coach and improve defensive players, but won't bet on him on the offensive end.

"Eder Militao, the centre-back at Real Madrid is out of favour there,” Castles said.

“Madrid are trying to offload the player, they want ideally to sell. I’m told their asking price is €50 million (£44.5m), but there is the option there of getting Militao on a six-month loan deal with an option to buy at the end of the season.”
It’s been made clear that Spurs want a centre-back this month, but it’s also been discussed that Jose Mourinho would like a left-footer to slot into his backline, and Militao doesn’t fit the bill there.
Any chance part of the deal could be nullifying Reggie's buyback clause?
:levyeyes:

I’m not criticising him.

He’s apparently said he needs someone who can come in, lead the line and improve the entire defence. That would mean someone experienced, in their mid twenties that has the ability to immediately improve us.

That’s extremely hard to come by. And expensive.
Didn’t think you were mate. Was just wondering if he had said that recently. Either way, our scouting needs to step up to be counted really. I bet there is some lad out there who’s experienced and can do the job that doesn’t cost 100 million.

We just can't afford to have a squad full of 60-70m+ players. Imagine he took another year to settle just like Ndombele.

We have to play smarter than City in the transfer market. Leicester is a good example, they've completely outdone us in the last few years. Maddison, Fofana, Tielemans, Castagne, Ricardo Pereria, all would have been excellent, cheap options for us but we either failed to get them or even look at them.
They didn't out do anyone the sainted Poch did not want three of the players you name. Castagne WAS Jose pick Levy wanted cheaper. Fofana is a work in progress and our current coach doesn't do them. He also gave Alderweireld a 3 year deal. Its not a simple scouting issue. We have no coherent strategy what so ever. We simply fall between the current coaches fancy and Levy's shaving margins. As was the three year settling in period all Poch that.

They didn't out do anyone the sainted Poch did not want three of the players you name. Castagne WAS Jose pick Levy wanted cheaper. Fofana is a work in progress and our current coach doesn't do them. He also gave Alderweireld a 3 year deal. Its not a simple scouting issue. We have no coherent strategy what so ever. We simply fall between the current coaches fancy and Levy's shaving margins. As was the three year settling in period all Poch that.
Whatever the specific reasons are, WE as a club have been outdone. We includes Jose and Poch.

More reason scouting team needs to improve to breach the gap by finding Mourinho the quality he wants at a price Levy will pay.

Of course they should also invent a perpetual motion machine in their sparetime

Last edited:
Have we even had a front 3 of Kane , Son and Vinnie? Just can’t see Jose doing that ever

Last 10 minutes of the Fulham game, last couple of minutes of Sheff U game.

We did against West Brom. They had parked the bus all game and Vinnie came on for Sissoko. Doc lumped it up to the box and with Vinnie there, Kane had one less defender on him and was able to head the ball in for the winner.

It worked.

He could just be there to check up on Skipp. But do you really send your chief scout/sporting director to do that?

Lots of talent in the Norwich team.
Obvious targets are Aarons and Buendia as we need a Eriksen replacement and a RB. Replacing Lamela with Buendia and Doherty with Aarons would seem like good business.

Is Fofana any more of a work in progress than Rodon?

Obviously the price is quite different for each guy but Fofana can clearly play in the league now, where Rodon still has a lot of questions of whether he can.

For a club of our supposed ambition I think spending 32 million for a younger, better player that can come in and start is worth it over paying 11 million for questions.

Obvious targets are Aarons and Buendia as we need a Eriksen replacement and a RB. Replacing Lamela with Buendia and Doherty with Aarons would seem like good business.
Cantwell was the hot shit last season in the Prem and he is playing tonight as well.

As I said. Lots of talent in that Norwich side.

Back
Top Bottom