January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On the downside. Another homegrown sold by the club.
@ 11.37am

@11.34am

Dog Reaction GIF

Mourinho on the club's foreign player limit problems​

I'm not even thinking of repercussions in relation to the transfer window, but the reality is that it was not easy to leave Gazzaniga out, but no other option.

Would be great for Joe Rodon's development to play in the Europa League. We've played already nine matches in the Europa League and if Joe was available to play these nine matches he would have for sure have played in three, four, five or six of them and would help of course in his development and adaptation.

So it's not an easy situation. Then how can you have more English players? English players from the academy. Then you have to basically try to help the academy, but at the same time you depend on their work, you depend on generation, you depend on talent.

And, honestly, I don't know if I should say it or not, the players that I feel are more talented in the academy are not the eldest ones. They are very young. We are speaking about kids of 16-year-old, we are not speaking about 18 or 19, let's say men that just need the last push. I feel that the biggest talents are very, very young.

Of course we have to help in their development in collaboration with the academy but we have to wait a little bit more.

English players from other clubs, they want to keep them, because normally all of them they have the same kind of problems or potentially they have the same kind of problems. So it's not easy, it's not an easy situation and clearly it's not a situation that you can resolve in one season. It's not possible.
Its certainly true that the squad has been badly managed over the last few years such that these is an HG (and Club Trained') problem, as to bring players through the academy takes years to achieve.

And ignoring the academy youngsters has made the problem even worse as some of the best prospects (eg 18 year old Noni Mandueke, former Spurs u16 captain, declined a professional contract to go to PSV where he's got something like 6 goals and 6 assists from about 5 starts and 10 sub appearances so far this season) will leave if there is no visible route to the first team.

But we are where we are, and have at least sent some of our best older talent out on loan so that we might see them in the Spurs first team in the next season or two - whether that is Skipp, White, Sessegnon, Parrott, Eyoma or whoever. Of course going out on loan and doing doesn't make it automatic that the player can make the leap into the first team squad, but it does ensure they have better experience which may help them take the leap.

In the short term, other than Scarlett and Devine the two 16 year olds Mourhino is probably referring to when he says most of the best academy talents are young, its worth pointing out there are still a handful of older lads that just might be able to make that leap over the next couple of years not yet out on loan (largely due to injuries earlier this season), but it will be interesting to see if JM helps their development with involvement in first team training, being on bench or playing a few minutes in selected games. My suggestions might be :

Dennis Cirkin (LB/CB aged 18) - played in pre- season 2020
Malachi Walcott (CB) aged 18) - cameo/debut v Leipzig last season, just returned for 6 months injury.
Jamie Bowden (CM, aged 19) - played few minutes in both preseason 2019 and 2020, just returned from injury
Dilan Markanday (AM, just 19) - doing well at u23
J'Neill Bennett (Winger/striker, just 19), first goalscorer in new stadium for Spurs u18's, may be injured atm.

Of course the coaches may select others (and 5 foot 4 inch striker Kion Etete could be an option).

If any or all of them get first team exposure (even just first team training) in the 2nd half of the season, it might be enough to get them a decent loan next season and into first team consideration in 2 years time. That's the long term planning necessary to overcome the Club trained/HG problem that we now have from ignoring the issue for 5 years.

In the mean time finding the right players to get a balance of HG and overseas trained players in the squad will not be easy

I think Dele is going, or at least the clubs are in some pretty serious discussions. This little knock he's picked up is a little too convenient.

The problem is that Dele leaving gives us a shortage of midfield players - and he is not easily replaceable as it requires us to find an HG replacement.

If PSG were offering £50m - £80m fee, I think he is replaceable. But on loan he is not replaceable, so on that basis he will not be allowed to leave

How the hell is Lo Celso included in that group when that is the exact opposite of how he plays?
Well a player often played close to the 9 position and providing so few points can either be "not that good", "technically apt, but s can't read the game". Looking at how much we paid for him and what he has delivered I'd say he's a flop. Why? (Stupid?), What's your answer?

Well a player often played close to the 9 position and providing so few points can either be "not that good", "technically apt, but s can't read the game". Looking at how much we paid for him and what he has delivered I'd say he's a flop. Why? (Stupid?), What's your answer?

He hasn't really been played close to the 9 position. For the most part last season he had to play deep to transition the ball from the back 4 to the front 3. When he did get up close to the 9 position we saw him, Kane and Son worked well to create goals. Just because he wasn't the last guy to make the pass and get a stat doesn't change the fact he often was involved in the creation of goals for us.

He delivered a ton for us and was arguably our best player, and no doubt our best MFer, last season. This year when he has played he has been nothing but a positive showing us what we are lacking in our MF every time he gets the chance to play.

If you want to complain about his injury issues go right ahead that is a concern and a legitimate complaint but his play on the field has been nothing short of very good, if not great. There is zero reason to complain about what he has provided for us when he is healthy and on the field, not close to being a flop and certainly worth what we paid for him.

But for those that look at the stat sheet instead of what actually happens I guess they could be fooled into thinking otherwise.

Last edited:

Mourinho on the club's foreign player limit problems​

I'm not even thinking of repercussions in relation to the transfer window, but the reality is that it was not easy to leave Gazzaniga out, but no other option.

Would be great for Joe Rodon's development to play in the Europa League. We've played already nine matches in the Europa League and if Joe was available to play these nine matches he would have for sure have played in three, four, five or six of them and would help of course in his development and adaptation.

So it's not an easy situation. Then how can you have more English players? English players from the academy. Then you have to basically try to help the academy, but at the same time you depend on their work, you depend on generation, you depend on talent.

And, honestly, I don't know if I should say it or not, the players that I feel are more talented in the academy are not the eldest ones. They are very young. We are speaking about kids of 16-year-old, we are not speaking about 18 or 19, let's say men that just need the last push. I feel that the biggest talents are very, very young.

Of course we have to help in their development in collaboration with the academy but we have to wait a little bit more.

English players from other clubs, they want to keep them, because normally all of them they have the same kind of problems or potentially they have the same kind of problems. So it's not easy, it's not an easy situation and clearly it's not a situation that you can resolve in one season. It's not possible.
He’s obviously not a member on here then as he just needs to read this thread to find out transfers are a piece of piss.

21 year old gk (E u21) out on loan

ORLANDO, Fla. (Jan. 20, 2021) - Orlando City SC has acquired 22-year-old goalkeeper Brandon Austin on loan from English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur. Austin joins the Lions, pending the receipt of his ITC, on a six-month loan with an option for an additional six months.

He hasn't really been played close to the 9 position. For the most part last season he had to play deep to transition the ball from the back 4 to the front 3. When he did get up close to the 9 position we saw him, Kane and Son worked well to create goals. Just because he wasn't the last guy to make the pass and get a stat doesn't change the fact he often was involved in the creation of goals for us.

He delivered a ton for us and was arguably our best player, and no doubt our best MFer, last season. This year when he has played he has been nothing but a positive showing us what we are lacking in our MF every time he gets the chance to play.

If you want to complain about his injury issues go right ahead that is a concern and a legitimate complaint but his play on the field has been nothing short of very good, if not great. There is zero reason to complain about what he has provided for us when he is healthy and on the field, not close to being a flop and certainly worth what we paid for him.

But for those that look at the stat sheet instead of what actually happens I guess they could be fooled into thinking otherwise.
Dele has not been good since the World Cup. Poch stuck with him as he appears to be in love with him, but eventually even he had to leave him out.
Watching Ross Barkley for Villa vs City this week reminded me of Dele.
Trying silly little flicks in dangerous areas and losing the ball. He isn’t really a midfield player, more of a forward but he doesn’t fit Mourinho’s system.
Silly photos on Instagram make me think he needs to grow up. He might do ok at PSG . A decent offer from them and he could be away and we can buy Sabitzer and really improve the team.

Dele has not been good since the World Cup. Poch stuck with him as he appears to be in love with him, but eventually even he had to leave him out.
Watching Ross Barkley for Villa vs City this week reminded me of Dele.
Trying silly little flicks in dangerous areas and losing the ball. He isn’t really a midfield player, more of a forward but he doesn’t fit Mourinho’s system.
Silly photos on Instagram make me think he needs to grow up. He might do ok at PSG . A decent offer from them and he could be away and we can buy Sabitzer and really improve the team.

I am missing something or did you quote the wrong post?

with city's injury to De Bruyne & Vardy out for Leicester, Liverpool dropping points, there is a small gap where we could grab an advantage, but it needs Levy to see it and get some players in
He blow it in the Leicester season when he should have got in Charlie Austin for £12/15M that would have given us extra fire power and rest Kane some minutes (we could have sold Austin in the summer had it not worked)
He missed that chance with Harry Redknapp when he got us Saha & other guy instead of getting what Harry wanted
2 big opportunities that would have pushed us forward had it come off
Levy is a not a guy to take that kind of risk, so it was nice to dream for a minute or two

Back
Top Bottom