January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

with city's injury to De Bruyne & Vardy out for Leicester, Liverpool dropping points, there is a small gap where we could grab an advantage, but it needs Levy to see it and get some players in
He blow it in the Leicester season when he should have got in Charlie Austin for £12/15M that would have given us extra fire power and rest Kane some minutes (we could have sold Austin in the summer had it not worked)
He missed that chance with Harry Redknapp when he got us Saha & other guy instead of getting what Harry wanted
2 big opportunities that would have pushed us forward had it come off
Levy is a not a guy to take that kind of risk, so it was nice to dream for a minute or two
I'm afraid it will be much the same again no-one is coming in we just all need to accept it.

This is an incredibly difficult market and with our squad list already full there is not really any opportunity to do anything without selling players.

Liverpool are having to play central midfielders in defense every match but even they can't afford to buy a new defender. Real Madrid and Barca cannot even afford to pay the players they currently have. Mourinho already spoke about how we cannot hand out new contracts to Kane and Son right now because we don't have the financial security.

Until stadiums are full of fans again you are going to see very few expensive transfers. It will all be loans and players with either a year left or contracts expiring.

Tbh no other teams around us are strengthening so I'm not too worried that we'll get left behind or anything like that
Usually someone who craves signings and gets fustrated at silence around it but right now I don't even feel upset or angry. Wasn't expecting much and not too bothered.

He hasn't really been played close to the 9 position. For the most part last season he had to play deep to transition the ball from the back 4 to the front 3. When he did get up close to the 9 position we saw him, Kane and Son worked well to create goals. Just because he wasn't the last guy to make the pass and get a stat doesn't change the fact he often was involved in the creation of goals for us.

He delivered a ton for us and was arguably our best player, and no doubt our best MFer, last season. This year when he has played he has been nothing but a positive showing us what we are lacking in our MF every time he gets the chance to play.

If you want to complain about his injury issues go right ahead that is a concern and a legitimate complaint but his play on the field has been nothing short of very good, if not great. There is zero reason to complain about what he has provided for us when he is healthy and on the field, not close to being a flop and certainly worth what we paid for him.

But for those that look at the stat sheet instead of what actually happens I guess they could be fooled into thinking otherwise.
I've watched the games. And he's not been as good as you say. You did see the questionmark after his name in my original post, didn't you? I just provoked you because I know you would bite.

By the way, I think Canadians should stick to hockey 😉

Tbh no other teams around us are strengthening so I'm not too worried that we'll get left behind or anything like that
Usually someone who craves signings and gets fustrated at silence around it but right now I don't even feel upset or angry. Wasn't expecting much and not too bothered.
That's a fair point.

Of course the flip side to that argument could be that if we did do something bold we'd perhaps get an advantage over our rivals.

We are a central midfielder short this season. No doubt in my mind. That's just personnel-wise.

A centre back and maybe a better right-back option and striker are areas to improve more than essential I think, which gives Dier a huge dollop of respect.

It's the performances and fitness of our players that we need to see improvements in.

Alli, Bale, Lamelaa, Moura and I would say Winks more so than Sissoko.

In my opinion all could and should be so much better. If they were we would not be on page 149 and talk of need for this month would be pretty much redundant.

That's a fair point.

Of course the flip side to that argument could be that if we did do something bold we'd perhaps get an advantage over our rivals.
Not sure its possible to do something bold
As much as I'd love it, I don't expect it and tbh to improve us it'd require some big investment like say we bring in the CB we need it might cost like £50m this window.

We are a central midfielder short this season. No doubt in my mind. That's just personnel-wise.

A centre back and maybe a better right-back option and striker are areas to improve more than essential I think, which gives Dier a huge dollop of respect.

It's the performances and fitness of our players that we need to see improvements in.

Alli, Bale, Lamelaa, Moura and I would say Winks more so than Sissoko.

In my opinion all could and should be so much better. If they were we would not be on page 149 and talk of need for this month would be pretty much redundant.

I think everyone would agree we could improve on some of the players we have.

Problem is going to be offloading the players we can improve on, given we have a full squad there are no spare spaces and we already have Gazzaniga and Gedson on the payroll with minimum game time.

I see Ajax say they are happy to loam or buy back Sanchez - but Ajax all time highest fee paid is 20m (and they may value Sanchez lower) euros, so problem is that if we sold Sanchez could we buy an improvement with the money we received ? Same problem with the likes of Lamela and Moura will be no buyers at any fee allowing us to re-invest in a better player.

The market is tight but also might be a good opportunity to get some great value.

Once the big clubs like Madrid recover their revenues, we will be back to astronomical transfer fees and wages, with us being priced out of the market for top quality players.

I see the coming summer window as the last opportunity to make those needed top quality signings

If ajax buy sanchez wonder if we can nab gravenberch in deal

If Lo Celso and Winks stay fit we are probably ok in central midfield and wait for Skipp to come back in summer.

Ideally we need to offload one overseas trained player just to get Rodon into the EL squad.

So if we get rid of Sanchez we are arguably then short at CB if we buy another overseas trained player such as Gravenberch, who at 18 may not be ready to play in PL either.

But I'm sure all these possibilities are being weighed up

If Lo Celso and Winks stay fit we are probably ok in central midfield and wait for Skipp to come back in summer.

Ideally we need to offload one overseas trained player just to get Rodon into the EL squad.

So if we get rid of Sanchez we are arguably then short at CB if we buy another overseas trained player such as Gravenberch, who at 18 may not be ready to play in PL either.

Ndombele, PEH, GLC, Sissoko, Winks, and Skipp are not enough to truly challenge for PL or CL next season. One major absence and the midfield drops significantlyin quality.

Same applies to CB, as we dont have the quality to play are higher line and thus give the other team too much space and opportunity to press.

Even positions like RB and RM should be looked at, if you want to contend with other top teams.

I might be wrong but not seen enough in Lo Celso to think he will get anywhere close to being as effective as Eriksen was at his best for us.

Winks will continue to blow lukewarm and cold because Mourinho's demands and confidence in him are not at the same level as Pochettino. One a bit higher and the other lower..

Last edited:
Ndombele, PEH, GLC, Sissoko, Winks, and Skipp are not enough to truly challenge for PL or CL next season. One major absence and the midfield drops significantlyin quality.

Same applies to CB, as we dont have the quality to play are higher line and thus give the other team too much space and opportunity to press.
I.might be wrong but not seen enough in Lo Celso to think he will get anywhere close to being as effective as Eriksen was at his best for us.

Winks will continue to blow lukewarm and cold because Mourinho's demands and confidence in him are not at the same level as Pochettino. One a bit higher and the other lower..

Even positions like RB and RM should be looked at, if you want to contend with other top teams.

We probably have a squad which is about 2nd best (shared with about 4 teams) :
- ManCity has the deepest squad with quality in all positions,
- Liverpool have a great first 14 but after that quality and even numbers tail off (so after 3 years of almost no injuries, 3 injuries now give a big problem to Liverpool and hence results in last 6 games),
- Chelsea squad is fine but Lampard not getting best out of it possibly,
- ManU squad position is only where it is due to them being awarded about twice number of penalties every other club gets
- Leicester have good first 11 through good buying (often lower leagues/unfancied players - players Spurs stopped buying under Poch), with few injuries and manager gets them to over achieve. Be interesting to see how they cope without Vardy for 6 weeks.

Last summer we bought to enlarge the squad (seeing a season with more frequent matches due to a shorter season and the need for more rotation and rest), summer before we spent large on Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon, and imo did not great value.

We now have a large squad, but as you say not as much quality in some positions as we'd all like.

However to create spaces in squad we need to sell, so its going to take some effort and willingness of some players to move on, let alone ensuring we keep and enlarge the number of HG players.

No other club is making much if any change so far in this TW, so I expect everyone will try to shift some players and rebuild in the summer. Meanwhile I'm pleased to see the likes of Skipp, White, Sessegnon, Clarke and others loaned out with a view that some of them come back good enough to play for Spurs and help resolve the HG issue over the next summer or two.

Players on loan

First Team High
"one of the first names on the team sheet"

First Team High
"Player of the Month award for September - played every single minute"

First Team High
"Player of the Month award in November"

First Team Average
"made five La Liga appearances this season"

First Team Average
Groin injury - called back to Tottenham

First Team Average

First Team Low
The winger has started just two league games so far this season but has four goals in three including a first professional hat-trick

First Team Low

First Team Low
"hardly made the match day squad - called back to Tottenham"

First Team Low
"hardly made the match day squad - called back to Tottenham"

January 2021

Jack Clarke [20] - Stoke (Championship)
Right Wing

Harvey White [19] - Portsmouth (League One)
Centre Midfield

Jubril Okedina [19] - Cambridge (League Two)
Right Back

Brandon Austin [22] - Orlando (Major League Soccer)
Keeper

anyone missing?

Back
Top Bottom