January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby is by far our best CB how is it going to be close to an Ozil like weight when he makes our team better every time he plays?

How are we going to get rid of Toby when our other options are either unproven (Rodon/Tanganga) or crap (Dier/Sanchez)?
Yeah tobys done you’ll realise it later rather than sooner knowing you ..... isn’t commanding in the air, all pace gone. No one in world football wanted him at 25mil and 65k a week 2 years ago

who’s going to want him at 32 on 165k

it was a rash and poorly considered offer

don’t get me wrong ... for 2 years he was up there

Yeah tobys done you’ll realise it later rather than sooner knowing you ..... isn’t commanding in the air, all pace gone. No one in world football wanted him at 25mil and 65k a week 2 years ago

who’s going to want him at 32 on 165k

it was a rash and poorly considered offer

don’t get me wrong ... for 2 years he was up there

I am fine with replacing Toby, I think he would be a great fit as the 3rd CB, but none of the nonsense you post address the fact we have nobody to replace him with.

He is better than every option we currently have, a lot better, so unless you are suggesting we bring in 3 new CB's getting rid of Toby makes zero sense.

I am fine with replacing Toby, I think he would be a great fit as the 3rd CB, but none of the nonsense you post address the fact we have nobody to replace him with.

He is better than every option we currently have, a lot better, so unless you are suggesting we bring in 3 new CB's getting rid of Toby makes zero sense.
Well my ‘nonsense’ is more pointing out weve tucked ourselves up by outlaying so much money on a player Jose is realising isn’t offering the commensurate financial valuation we’ve committed to

this is going to be a drag regarding upgrading Toby .... maybe that’s not January ... but it will be the next window

we need new centre backs. Having an old overpaid declining one on our books isn’t going to help us

edit .... I’m not a scout ... I didn’t realise I had to offer an alternative for my opinion to not be categorised as nonsense .... I’ll offer this .... i want an alternative who is really really good ..... better ?

Well my ‘nonsense’ is more pointing out weve tucked ourselves up by outlaying so much money on a player Jose is realising isn’t offering the commensurate financial valuation we’ve committed to

this is going to be a drag regarding upgrading Toby .... maybe that’s not January ... but it will be the next window

we need new centre backs. Having an old overpaid declining one on our books isn’t going to help us

edit .... I’m not a scout ... I didn’t realise I had to offer an alternative for my opinion to not be categorised as nonsense .... I’ll offer this .... i want an alternative who is really really good ..... better ?

You said that it was going to become an Ozil-like weight on the books. Considering it isn't remotely close to the amount that Ozil is making and Toby is still our best CB versus Ozil who isn't even good enough to make a weak Woolwich midfield it isn't even close to that situation.

Toby makes our team better right now, even if he is overpaid, which he isn't, he is helping the team because he is better than anything we have at CB so no not close to a Ozil like weight at all.

You don't have to be a scout for your opinion not to be considered nonsense you just have to not post garbage like comparing our best CB by a large margin to Ozil who hasn't played for Woolwich all season and likely won't play for them again all while making double the wages that Toby is.

The problem isn't having Toby on our team the problem is not having anyone that can or even looks likely to over take him and have him go to the bench.

You said that it was going to become an Ozil-like weight on the books. Considering it isn't remotely close to the amount that Ozil is making and Toby is still our best CB versus Ozil who isn't even good enough to make a weak Woolwich midfield it isn't even close to that situation.

Toby makes our team better right now, even if he is overpaid, which he isn't, he is helping the team because he is better than anything we have at CB so no not close to a Ozil like weight at all.

You don't have to be a scout for your opinion not to be considered nonsense you just have to not post garbage like comparing our best CB by a large margin to Ozil who hasn't played for Woolwich all season and likely won't play for them again all while making double the wages that Toby is.

The problem isn't having Toby on our team the problem is not having anyone that can or even looks likely to over take him and have him go to the bench.
Honestly .... when you read my post did you actually take it as I meant a like for like for like Ozil situation !!?? You’re intellect couldn’t possibly allow you to discern similarities without my intent being the exact same scenario?!!! Really ..., is this how you converse on a debating forum

i mean ... why didn’t you just go the whole hog and state ‘no it’s not the same he plays for Woolwich’

would have been an equally puerile debate

Last edited:
Honestly .... when you read my post did you actually take it as I meant a like for like for like Ozil situation !!?? You’re intellect couldn’t possibly allow you to discern similarities without my intent being the exact same scenario?!!! Really ..., is this how you converse on a debating forum

i mean ... why didn’t you just go the whole hog and state ‘no it’s not the same he plays for Woolwich’

would have been a equally puerile debate

BUt there is zero similarities at all between the situation so the comparison is garbage. There is not a similar aspect to the players at all so it was ridiculous.

You might as well have compared Ozil to Kane as it is as applicable as an Ozil and Toby comparison.

Is this how you converse on a debating forum, crying when someone points out how ridiculous your comparison was?

BUt there is zero similarities at all between the situation so the comparison is garbage. There is not a similar aspect to the players at all so it was ridiculous.

You might as well have compared Ozil to Kane as it is as applicable as an Ozil and Toby comparison.

Is this how you converse on a debating forum, crying when someone points out how ridiculous your comparison was?
I’m not going to be reduced to doing some cat-sat-on-the-mat explanation just for the purposes of you only

the point I was making was obvious it can’t be helped you didn’t grasp it

I’m not going to be reduced to doing some cat-sat-on-the-mat explanation just for the purposes of you only

the point I was making was obvious it can’t be helped you didn’t grasp it

The point you were making was stupid. Ozil and Toby are not comparable at all.

So try to weasel your way out of it all you want it doesn't change the fact that Toby and Ozil aren't comparable in any way.

The point you were making was stupid. Ozil and Toby are not comparable at all.

So try to weasel your way out of it all you want it doesn't change the fact that Toby and Ozil aren't comparable in any way.
Trust me. Everyone except you will understand the point im making ... they might not agree and I’m fine with that

if you can’t follow my point through to it’s obvious conclusion then thats your problem unfortunately

Trust me. Everyone except you will understand the point im making ... they might not agree and I’m fine with that

if you can’t follow my point through to it’s obvious conclusion then thats your problem unfortunately

I understand the point you are trying to make just pointing out that it is complete garbage.

I have no problem following your moronic opinion, just pointing out how wrong and pointless it is.

Toby is on his last legs and this will be his last season with us.

He's useful in games when we are dominating possession and will be on the front foot because of his passing range, but against the top teams with their pacey attacks he will be exposed.

Jose clearly agrees as he is playing someone he clearly doesn't rate (Sanchez) and Dier ahead of Toby at present.

He will be a good rotation option this season and we will have no problem getting a team in the US or China to pay his wages - they are not astronomical.

Saying he is by far our best centre back is plain wrong. It is equivalent to those that still think Dele is a world-beater. Toby was great but he has declined and will continue to do so much like Vertonghen.

Toby is by far our best CB how is it going to be close to an Ozil like weight when he makes our team better every time he plays?

How are we going to get rid of Toby when our other options are either unproven (Rodon/Tanganga) or crap (Dier/Sanchez)?
I agree on what you say here though.

Toby is on his last legs and this will be his last season with us.

He's useful in games when we are dominating possession and will be on the front foot because of his passing range, but against the top teams with their pacey attacks he will be exposed.

Jose clearly agrees as he is playing someone he clearly doesn't rate (Sanchez) and Dier ahead of Toby at present.

He will be a good rotation option this season and we will have no problem getting a team in the US or China to pay his wages - they are not astronomical.

Saying he is by far our best centre back is plain wrong. It is equivalent to those that still think Dele is a world-beater. Toby was great but he has declined and will continue to do so much like Vertonghen.
Hoping a chinese or American club stump up does demonstrate to a certain degree that his high wage rules out most of Europe

time will tell but I think we were a bit hasty

Hoping a chinese or American club stump up does demonstrate to a certain degree that his high wage rules out most of Europe

time will tell but I think we were a bit hasty
It seemed a strange one at the time but I think it was mainly due to panic over losing Eriksen, Jan and Toby on frees in the same season.

We managed to preserve some value and I think he will play his part this season and then move on for a modest fee in the summer.

Don't think it was a bad call but ultimately we probably need two high quality centre back signings in the next 2 years.

It seemed a strange one at the time but I think it was mainly due to panic over losing Eriksen, Jan and Toby on frees in the same season.

We managed to preserve some value and I think he will play his part this season and then move on for a modest fee in the summer.

Don't think it was a bad call but ultimately we probably need two high quality centre back signings in the next 2 years.

There is nothing strange about signing your best CB when he can leave on free and the only other options you have are Dier and Sanchez two guys clearly not good enough.

There is nothing strange about signing your best CB when he can leave on free and the only other options you have are Dier and Sanchez two guys clearly not good enough.

All three are not technically "good enough" for a team that wants to win a title but here we are. I don't think there is anywhere near as much between them as you seem to suggest. This is not 2017 and Toby is now just a decent defender like Sanchez and Dier,

As I said above don't think it was a bad call but we let it drag on for a long time as we were clearly reluctant to pay the money. Then no one came in for this great defender for a measly £25m so we were stuck with a player in the last year of his contract.

It then made financial sense to try to preserve some value, hence he is still here.

One of our big group of only decent defenders.

Back
Top Bottom