January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need another creative midfielder because Lo Celso and Ndombele should be starting each game, plus both have injury/fitness concerns.

Eriksen at his best would be a perfect fit for this team, however Eriksen since January 2019 is a sulky baby that is not useful to anyone.

I think if you talk to him and he seems to realize that he had it pretty good here and was willing to work hard, be happy and fit in with the team it could be an amazing signing, but for me it would all rest on the attitude because he looks like a guy that does not like playing football anymore and sulky Eriksen is useless.

If Erikson is unhappy because he's not starting enough games at Inter, how is he going to feel better here? Would he actually start ahead of Ndombele or Gio? Both are better pressers and we don't need attacking threat as much as defensive steel atm (ie I think Gio fits in better alongside PEH/Ndombele than Erikson). I grant there are fitness concerns with them, but I'd rather use that bench place to develop a youngster than a 28yo, or save the money for a topshelf CB. And this is coming from a huge Eriksen fan, at his peak he was one of the most productive AMs in the league, I'm just struggling to see where he'd fit in the first XI atm.

I think someone said he'd lost some motivation after becoming a father, which wouldn't surprise me. Though I think he also always thought he'd be playing for Madrid or Barca, and when neither came calling he'd already talked so much about leaving that he had to settle for Inter to save face. Which would hit anyone psychologically.

If Erikson is unhappy because he's not starting enough games at Inter, how is he going to feel better here? Would he actually start ahead of Ndombele or Gio? Both are better pressers and we don't need attacking threat as much as defensive steel atm (ie I think Gio fits in better alongside PEH/Ndombele than Erikson). I grant there are fitness concerns with them, but I'd rather use that bench place to develop a youngster than a 28yo, or save the money for a topshelf CB. And this is coming from a huge Eriksen fan, at his peak he was one of the most productive AMs in the league, I'm just struggling to see where he'd fit in the first XI atm.

I think someone said he'd lost some motivation after becoming a father, which wouldn't surprise me. Though I think he also always thought he'd be playing for Madrid or Barca, and when neither came calling he'd already talked so much about leaving that he had to settle for Inter to save face. Which would hit anyone psychologically.

He's also on 260pkw... Bollocks to that!!!

He's also on 260pkw... Bollocks to that!!!

Almost certainly includes a large signing on fee being paid over the life of the contract.

I can't see the rest of his signing on fee at Inter would be paid by any club he moved to and I imagine Inter would not want to pay it either - so a lot of talking to be done round it !

With the amount of games we have this season, and especially next season if we expect to be competing in the CL, there is more than enough games.

If you look at the top teams like Liverpool and City they have quality subs on the bench, especially in MF. I know Winks is a fan favorite and people always want to make excuses for Sissoko but they are not close to good enough as either replacements or especially starters.

Lo Celso seems to be constantly picking up knocks, Ndombele has a history of fitness issues. If we had GLC, Ndomebele and Erkisen in our MF that would allow us to start two of them in PL games with the 3rd fresh to play in CL and Cup games as needed. If one is struggling in a game it also gives us the ability to bring in a replacement without losing the attacking/creative ability.

I agree bringing in a young guy to develop would be great but we have shown little to no interest in doing that. We seem to be more about winning now and Eriksen allows us to do that.

Almost certainly includes a large signing on fee being paid over the life of the contract.

I can't see the rest of his signing on fee at Inter would be paid by any club he moved to and I imagine Inter would not want to pay it either - so a lot of talking to be done round it !

It's a "no" from me regardless....

Even though we don't even play a #10 anymore, we still have GLC, TN, Lamela, Dele, Kane & Bale that can play there if need be.

We've moved on.

Last edited:
It's a "no" from me regardless....

Even thought we don't even play a #10 anymore, we still have GLC, TN, Lamela, Dele, Kane & Bale that can play there if need be.

We've moved on.
I too think we will pass and get in a younger player rather than 28 year old Eriksen, bearing in mind that Moura, Lamela and Son are also 28 so doesn't make sense to have so many AM's we need to plan to replace at the same time.

Torn on potentially bringing Christian back. At his best he was a top notch creative midfielder. And we do need someone to rotate with Gio and Tanguy for both of them's general health. But at the same time Christian looked really unintererested in the project when he left and I question if he is up to committing to it the way that Jose would expect of him. Just like under Conte. both of them are ride or die style managers that expect you to more or less go to war for him.

Christian tended to clock the most distance covered for us, but a lot of that was just open movement in the middle of the pitch if memory serves me right. Tanguy has upped his defensive work and I'd expect Eriksen to have to do the same were he to return.

What could Eriksen add now? It's rubbish and obviously this is a player, like Ozil who is in decline. Once in that top group of second echelon players but now it seems the direction is one way.

Our next purchase, assuming Rodon is not at that standard has to be to try and find a top centre back. It could be what prevents us this season.

What could Eriksen add now? It's rubbish and obviously this is a player, like Ozil who is in decline. Once in that top group of second echelon players but now it seems the direction is one way.

Our next purchase, assuming Rodon is not at that standard has to be to try and find a top centre back. It could be what prevents us this season.

Rodon has every quality to be a leading premiership CB but he's not there yet. Needs game time but I'd be looking for a quality replacement for Sanchez...so we do still need a top CB

Eriksen is a complete no go, get real guys.

He was desperate to leave and we are building something great in his absence.

GLC and Ndombele won't start together so they are each other's rotation policy.

If one goes down we have many options to tweak the system.

Lamela or Dele as a straight swap.

Bale or Kane played deeper with Kane or Vinicius ahead.

You don't shell out for another non-priority midfielder on big wages just in case we lose our two main options. We have great attacking options and now have to focus on centre back and defensive midfield to complete the puzzle.

You don't shell out for another non-priority midfielder on big wages just in case we lose our two main options. We have great attacking options and now have to focus on centre back and defensive midfield to complete the puzzle.

I hope the bolded is not true. Not only are they by far our two best MF's but we need their passing ability in the midfield on we get way too reliant on the one of them that is playing.

Plus, I can't imagine either are going to be happy spending so much time on the bench when they could start for bigger clubs.

We have Dele to back them up at CAM. He may not be better than them right now but he has been good in the past and needs minutes.

We should throw our hat in the ring for Dayot Upamecano in January and get try and get a deal done for next Summer. He looks like he's going to be ridiculously good player and only has a £38m release clause.

Sissoko, Lloris, Ndombele might be a big draw for him.

Looks a quality CB.

We should throw our hat in the ring for Dayot Upamecano in January and get try and get a deal done for next Summer. He looks like he's going to be ridiculously good player and only has a £38m release clause.

Sissoko, Lloris, Ndombele might be a big draw for him.

Looks a quality CB.
He's one of the best CBs that are likely to change teams, he's probably gonna get similiar money to Kane in his new team. I doubt we are able to fight for him.

He's one of the best CBs that are likely to change teams, he's probably gonna get similiar money to Kane in his new team. I doubt we are able to fight for him.
He's definitely in-demand but we should still try. We are a big club with arguably the best stadium and training facilities in Europe, we have one of the most famous managers in history in Mourinho and the French captain + french players at the club so we're an attractive proposition.

Toby is supposedly on £150k a week and I can't imagine he'll be at the club after next Summer due to his age. He'll probably be expecting £200k a week-ish. It's only £50k more than what a 31 year old, in decline Alderweireld is on. Pay £38m release clause and offer £200k a week on a six year contract and see what happens (if Jose likes him obviously).

Worth a shot.

Konaté looks very solid as well. Maybe try and do a double deal with Leipzig for them both. At least we'll know they understand each other's game well 😂... If only life was as simple as Fifa.

Back
Top Bottom