January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn't matter by then tbh. Should've got him in the summer. Then I read inter would be agreed it if it was done earlier. That alone pisses me off. Save it late and try and barter with inter last min on a world class cb. Stupid
I don't think it was anything to do with timing - they just didn't budge on the asking price at all. Leaving it later can help (see Rodon) but clearly didn't with Inter.

We need to hope Conte doesn't get sacked anytime soon...

I don't think it was anything to do with timing - they just didn't budge on the asking price at all. Leaving it later can help (see Rodon) but clearly didn't with Inter.

We need to hope Conte doesn't get sacked anytime soon...
They would be accepted the 40 mill add on offer we offered if we had done it earlier. They didn't have time for a replacement and we fucked it up

Getting Skriniar or anyone else is going to change fuck all if the overall mentality at the club doesn't change.

I mean.... this really.

Said it before. Skriniar coming in isn't going to change HOW we defend. We've actually defended relatively well this season in relation to the rest of the league.

It's set pieces where we've struggled and Skriniars aerial duels are up there with some of the worst, aren't they?

If we can fucking learn how to defend set pieces, we'd be a lot better off.

I mean.... this really.

Said it before. Skriniar coming in isn't going to change HOW we defend. We've actually defended relatively well this season in relation to the rest of the league.

It's set pieces where we've struggled and Skriniars aerial duels are up there with some of the worst, aren't they?

If we can fucking learn how to defend set pieces, we'd be a lot better off.

Sanchez and Dier are supposed to be good in the air but they have a low football IQ so get beat from set pieces because of it.

Having a player like Skriniar, whether he is good in the air or not, that has a high football IQ will help because the defense won't be in bad situations like it often is with Dier and Sanchez who have zero football IQ.

He won't be the magic bullet, especially if paired with one of Dier or Sanchez which is likely, but having guys that don't let their men go free, don't get out of position because they don't know where to be and are smart enough to be proactive in dealing with threats rather than reactive which often leads to Pens or rash tackles will be a big improvement.

Gedson seems to be returning to Benfica in Jan. Seems the right thing to do.

Pleased for the lad. Was always a strange move for him/Benfica.... Must be tough being startved of game-time like this.... He's not a bad little player; he'll soon find his level if he plays regularly.

Brought in when Spurs had a large number of injuries, in effect as a utility player.

Has only shown flashes of the standard of player we need, and having brought in 7 players of a far higher standard (probably more than JM could have hoped for before TW) this summer, really no role for him left at Spurs, so definitely better to go back to Benfica (different coach in place at Benfica than the one who pushed him out on loan) or other club where he will get more playing time.

Sanchez and Dier are supposed to be good in the air but they have a low football IQ so get beat from set pieces because of it.

Having a player like Skriniar, whether he is good in the air or not, that has a high football IQ will help because the defense won't be in bad situations like it often is with Dier and Sanchez who have zero football IQ.

He won't be the magic bullet, especially if paired with one of Dier or Sanchez which is likely, but having guys that don't let their men go free, don't get out of position because they don't know where to be and are smart enough to be proactive in dealing with threats rather than reactive which often leads to Pens or rash tackles will be a big improvement.
Sanchez isn't supposed to be good in the air, he's never been good in the air. Skriniar is both poor in the air and gives a lot of fouls, literally as bad a combination as possible for us right now:

Getting Skriniar or anyone else is going to change fuck all if the overall mentality at the club doesn't change.
Maybe. Think we have a lot of players with the wrong mentality here and offload them should be our priority in january. I can't see how cloggers like Dele, Winks, Sissoko, Moura, Sanchez can contribute to us winning something.

Could we get anything for Sanchez? If we could, I think January or next summer we should sell.

Hopefully we just need one in next summer, for Alderwiereld, if Tanganga and Rodon progresses as we hope.

If we cannot give him playing time it is the right thing to do. Would still trust him more coming off the bench than Winks. Far more creative and comfortable with the ball than him. And with Gio and Tanguy still seemingly fighting for fitness I could definitely see a place for him off the bench to help keep them healthy.

And let's be honest. With our luck we are going to have 2-3 injured midfielders around January time so sending him home could be something we end up regretting.

Back
Top Bottom