January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

half baked boo GIF

Ally's a good guy. Would never bullshit if he's not heard any kind of confirmation on a story.

The flip side of that, however, is that something like the Militao rumours (which seems to be picking up pace) might well be true and he's simply hasn't been told anything about it yet.
I trust his words a lot more than the other Internet gobshites. Also the HG quota issue he always raises is valid all our dealings are factored around those rules.

But it's easy enough to go with Spurs linked with Messi loan deal etc..

I trust Ally over any other source, including Fabrizio, when it comes to Spurs news. Ally constantly brings up HG issues, English players, European squad restrictions, and the big details nobody else seems to care about. Even Spurs fans who are aware of these issues but still say "WE NEED TO SELL WINKS" then you point out the HG issue "THAT'S AN EASY FIX" No, it's not. If it was an easy fix nobody would ever talk about it.

I don't expect many teams to make big moves this January. We will loan a few players out but that will be it.

I trust Ally over any other source, including Fabrizio, when it comes to Spurs news. Ally constantly brings up HG issues, English players, European squad restrictions, and the big details nobody else seems to care about. Even Spurs fans who are aware of these issues but still say "WE NEED TO SELL WINKS" then you point out the HG issue "THAT'S AN EASY FIX" No, it's not. If it was an easy fix nobody would ever talk about it.

I don't expect many teams to make big moves this January. We will loan a few players out but that will be it.

It is an easy fix, but only if you are not in love with mediocre players that should be moved out like Moura, Lamela, Sissoko. Move any of those 3 and replace them with a HG player and its done. Plenty of clubs have no problem with the HG issue and can make transfers no problem. There is nothing that makes Spurs special flowers that can't handle it or are behind other clubs when it comes to this.

If true, I don't really think any of us can blame him.

I much prefer that attitude if game time is tiny compared to someone like Jack Rodwell who was willing to tank his career while being a wage thief.
I don't think it's true. However:

Dele Alli has not been playing in the bigger matches because in general he has not been playing at his best level since the Covid break. You can argue that he showed some good signs lately (against Stoke and Marine) and that the way Jose handled his situation was not the best. But the truth is that it's not an absurd that he hasn't been given the number 10 role so far this season.

So when you say "I don't really think any of us can blame him", while I understand where you're coming from, you are accepting the way modern footballers deal with things - usually, just by being spoiled millionaires. Dele Alli is still a very young player and having a difficult time for 4 or 5 months of football shouldn't mean the end of the world for his Tottenham career - if he really wants to keep playing for Tottenham. It's up to him to work hard - like Ndombele did.

P.S: who knows, maybe Dele plays an important part in today's match, scores a goal coming from the bench and we'll see the end of these stories - for now. It really could happen.

It is an easy fix, but only if you are not in love with mediocre players that should be moved out like Moura, Lamela, Sissoko. Move any of those 3 and replace them with a HG player and its done. Plenty of clubs have no problem with the HG issue and can make transfers no problem. There is nothing that makes Spurs special flowers that can't handle it or are behind other clubs when it comes to this.
Isn’t it the case that the clubs who have no HG problems, have, well, no HG problems? Meaning they can operate with a greater flexibility in the market? We have a problem with it.

We also need to maintain a large squad in case of injury or Covid, as well as the number of matches we are playing. We would also need to persuade one of the players you mentioned to leave the club, where they seem happy at. And persuade some other team that they are good enough to buy but not good enough for us.

Then we need to find a HG player that we can afford, that would improve our first team. Very very few spring to mind. No point in selling a decent squad player to buy another. Unless we are also planning to buy a top quality first team foreign player? If that’s the case, where’s the money coming from?

I don’t think transfers and squad balancing / building is as easy a fix as many believe. Especially not in January.

Back
Top Bottom