January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This window I really wanted to see players with a Comte-like mentality come in.

Leaders
Passion
Fire
Drive
Even anger

I could see at least some of those of those attributes in Diaz and Adama.

But the current links sound more like more of the typical soft touch spurs players that we've become accustomed to.

Juve fans say bentacur lacks confidence.

'I'll celebrate when we sell Arthur, Ramsey, Bentancur and Rabiot.'
'Rabiot off for Bentancur Swapping gonorrhoea for genital warts'
'Bentancur being shit already'
'still better than Bentancur IMO. Bentancur is the worst player I have ever seen'
'Is that fuckin Bentancur about to come in. These are terrorist acts.'
'Bentancur is coming on all is saved lmaooo I hate this club.'
'Bentancur cant make a fucking forward pass'

From Juve's forums. Hurry, rush to sign him!

You're forgetting a scenario and that's what Tomo Tomo has been saying all along: Gil going on loan to another PL club to get game time and experience of the English game
he was talking about championship..
yes the loan to a premier league club would be the best choice.
I just don't see many premier league clubs that are queueing to value a player of another team without the option to buy him

Fair point but he would at least have some greater justification for the opinion than any of us.
I had a chat with a good friend from Italy, whose family have been Juve fans for generations.

In his words, Kulusevski has been one of the most disappointing signings in Juve's recent history. They actually really dislike the guy, and not just for his performances, but for his attitude too. They attend training regularly and he's never one that seems to try very hard, instead he just relies on his technique. They see him as your cliche talented youngster who's earned a big money move to a top team and who's now happy to just rest on his laurels and live the celeb life. They cannot wait for him to go and when they heard about Spurs and 30 odd mil, they couldn't believe it. Now really hoping it goes through. My friend says he might pull his finger out with Conte, but that the real problem will be when Conte goes and Kulu is still at Spurs for 2 or 3 years.

As for Betancur, they are really indifferent. They can't understand how they used to have Pirlo, Matuidi and other great midfielders throughout the history of the club and now have very average dudes like Betancur, Rabiot, Ramsey. He's not one that'll be missed at all. My friend says he's mainly very slow and wasteful with the ball, but that every now and then he'll have the odd good game that makes you think that maybe that's it, that's the spark that was needed...but then he's shit again the next 10-20 games.

I've watched him at Villa, he's mediocre.
I doubt we'd get ripped off to pay 32m in that fashion- not being reported by any reliable sources yet either

I've watched him too.

Again, I'm not canvassing opinion on the VFM or how good he is.

Point remains, if it's a style of player that Conte wants then us arm-chair experts need just suck it up or stop pretending we're behind the gaffa's vision.

We have not been linked to any DLP types...... Nor is there seemingly an urgency around RWB like many insisted there would be.

In both the cases of Traore and Diaz we seem to have been gazumped. When have we ever bought a prime time top of the tree player? Klinsmann, Lineker, VDV, Ginola we’re all the wrong side of 30 when we bought them and therefore were cheap and In the twilight of their careers

I reckon the last time we bought “world class” players who were proven as such and were in their prime of their power was Villa and Ardiles in 1978.

Maybe the 100m we spent on Lo Celso and Ndombele in The wake of the Champions League Final we all thought at the time brought us to that level, but hindsight shows it did not. We are all smarter after the event.

Modric, Bale, Berbatov etc developed into world class players at Spurs. They weren’t world class when we bought them. Even Lloris developed into world class at Spurs But he wasn’t really before.

Diaz would have been as close to the Ardiles /Villa as I have seen. So let’s not beat ourselves up too much about it.
Lineker was 28, VDV 27

I had a chat with a good friend from Italy, whose family have been Juve fans for generations.

In his words, Kulusevski has been one of the most disappointing signings in Juve's recent history. They actually really dislike the guy, and not just for his performances, but for his attitude too. They attend training regularly and he's never one that seems to try very hard, instead he just relies on his technique. They see him as your cliche talented youngster who's earned a big money move to a top team and who's now happy to just rest on his laurels and live the celeb life. They cannot wait for him to go and when they heard about Spurs and 30 odd mil, they couldn't believe it. Now really hoping it goes through. My friend says he might pull his finger out with Conte, but that the real problem will be when Conte goes and Kulu is still at Spurs for 2 or 3 years.

As for Betancur, they are really indifferent. They can't understand how they used to have Pirlo, Matuidi and other great midfielders throughout the history of the club and now have very average dudes like Betancur, Rabiot, Ramsey. He's not one that'll be missed at all. My friend says he's mainly very slow and wasteful with the ball, but that every now and then he'll have the odd good game that makes you think that maybe that's it, that's the spark that was needed...but then he's shit again the next 10-20 games.
Same was said about players like Perisic or Vidal when Conte was at Inter. Conte can get a tune out of Kulu, when it comes to Benta though, he just lacks the technique, and that can't be taught...

Hojbjerg is far more creative than Bentancur.
I have said that. However, Benta is more of an engine than Hojbjerg, and he won't go around pointing at others for his mistakes like Hojbjerg does. I'm starting to think Conte wants Skipp to be his creative force in the midfield, with Bentancur as the engine / safe option.

Back
Top Bottom