January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Net Spend in the past 10 years:

United: 1.02b
City: 980m
Woolwich: 615m
Chelsea: 432m
West Ham: 369m
Liverpool: 343m
Villa: 336m
Everton: 335m
Newcastle: 265m
Spurs: 234m
Brighton: 227m

Is this good enough?
I say NO
Sure pick a time period to suit your narrative. Maybe you should have gone back 13 years 4 months 3 days and 11 hours. That might have yielded better numbers for your argument.

But you already know that this doesn't really stack up. Because you cannot compare Spurs of 2011-2017 to Spurs of 2018-2021. So if you want to compare apples to apples, you need to look at the point in time forward when our revenue really picked up. Otherwise you're just another loud mouth with no argument.

Not trying to fight you on this one, but I am far more concerned about the likes of Lamela getting 9 years with 3 contracts than Winks (someone we got for nowt) getting games once in a while.

Financing discussions aside, ENICs football tradecraft is fucking terrible.
I take your point but for me i believe players need to be held to the highest standard across the board. Regardless of who they are or where they are from.

Otherwise it just creates divisions in the squad where some players know they can get away with more than others. That is exactly what you don't want.

Ah yes, Raphinski, his Romanian half brother. Scored 15 goals and got 7 assists last season in the Romanian league, we'll sign him up for 21m and he'll forget how to beat his man and never score. Sounds like a perfect fit for us.
Sounds like a few we've already had tbh.

Ok name me an owner who's loaned a club anything like what Abramovich has. Or are you claiming Lewis is as cash rich as Abramovich?

People keep saying he has loaned them money. He owns them, and spends his own money on them. Or rather, he spent his own money on them.
They don't have to pay him back because they're now worth so much more than what he spent on them. He'll make it all back with profit, if and when he sells up. He's built himself an asset, nothing more, nothing less.

If true I'd like Spurs to make an effort to get de Jong - although I can't see them beat neither Chelski nor Bayern M. to his signature. But if £40m is Barca's asking price he could be a real bargain (his salaries though may not be a bargain...)

Last edited:
So a couple of FA cups is worth the extra £400M spent...You're telling me that if Levy started throwing money around and we still finished behind them every year no-one would be complaining?

3 FA cups vs zero trophies.

Maybe it's not worth the 400 mill extra, but as a fan am I that worried about the spreadsheets if on 3 occasions I've got to see my team win a decent trophy? I'm sure their fans wouldn't swap those 3 cups for what we've managed to 'accomplish' in the last decade. Even if it meant they got their money back.

And hey, who says we need to spend the way they have? If we've managed to do okay with a lower budget, why couldn't a bit more ambition have got us those trophies whilst still staying ahead of them? I see it as a missed opportunity, not as a 'phew' moment when I see that graph. I see the reason why the likes of Swansea and Wigan have won more than us.

Got the champagne on ice, just waiting for the shock triple announcement......

champagne GIF

any second now.....
Climate Change Earth GIF by PBS Digital Studios
Hello mate. Weren't you the fella that said we didn't have a hope in hell in getting Conte and with Everton getting Benitez they were nailed on to finish above us?

Just started following you as everything you say the opposite has happened so I'm looking forward to our 3 new signings 🙌

Ok, company pays for its own infrastructure borrowings out of its increased revenue due to those borrowings. Not sure thats the great revelation you think it is.

Did you expect Uncle joe, aunty daniel or the tooth fairy to stump up £1bn for it? There may be room for criticism of Enic but I am fairly certain that this isn't it.

3 FA cups vs zero trophies.

Maybe it's not worth the 400 mill extra, but as a fan am I that worried about the spreadsheets if on 3 occasions I've got to see my team win a decent trophy? I'm sure their fans wouldn't swap those 3 cups for what we've managed to 'accomplish' in the last decade. Even if it meant they got their money back.

And hey, who says we need to spend the way they have? If we've managed to do okay with a lower budget, why couldn't a bit more ambition have got us those trophies whilst still staying ahead of them? I see it as a missed opportunity, not as a 'phew' moment when I see that graph. I see the reason why the likes of Swansea and Wigan have won more than us.
I guess the point could be made is that we've done so well with spending so little, then imagine what we could do by spending more.

Sure pick a time period to suit your narrative. Maybe you should have gone back 13 years 4 months 3 days and 11 hours. That might have yielded better numbers for your argument.

But you already know that this doesn't really stack up. Because you cannot compare Spurs of 2011-2017 to Spurs of 2018-2021. So if you want to compare apples to apples, you need to look at the point in time forward when our revenue really picked up. Otherwise you're just another loud mouth with no argument.
Levy and Co have been here 20 years. For the last 10, they have invested less in the team rha than Newcastle. Fucking Newcastle. A team run by a man every single fan bar none hated and a man who fully admitted he had zero interest putting any of his own money into the club. He only let them spend what they made on sales.
But apparently that doesn't count? It only counts from now does it?

I guess the point could be made is that we've done so well with spending so little, then imagine what we could do by spending more.

Yep, that's how I see it. Especially at the height of Pochettino's team, if we'd gone out in a window or two and brought in a few players rather than sitting on our hands, could a league title or two have been within reach? Who knows, all hypotheticals I suppose.

And then again, when we did spend it was on Sessegnon, Ndombele and Lo Celso. So there's arguments for both sides, I just don't think any direction leads to 'wow thanks ENIC for keeping the net spend down' .. at least for me anyway.

Er a ten year time span seems fair enough? Does not appear to be cheery picking, its the latest period and provides a decent set of data - ie 10 years. Frankly I think it says so much - 23.4m per year..... Wow! And 1bn for a stadium - and every penny from spurs revenue or future revenue over the next 30 years.

But stadiums don't win trophies or are we to celebrate the glory of some architectural or engineering awards? Yeah in fact let's rub it in the gooners face - we got an award for the best plumbing in a sporting facility 2019 - 1bn well spent.

I did originally think we would invest this window to a degree but I now think it really will be unlikely unless we shift some on. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if nothing happens and we are left with half a squad we want rid of and they don’t want to be here.

Back
Top Bottom