January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

luis suarez GIF

larry-david-curb-your-enthusiasm.gif

The nature of capitalism is reduction. The big fish eat the small fish. The day football became a more or less unregulated capitalist market, when they started selling sponsorships, was the day the die was cast. It really is simply a matter of time, the vast majority of Europe's Big 5 leagues are net losses for the top clubs - clubs that take more revenue than they contribute in exchange for giving the big clubs someone to play.

In an increasingly globalized travel friendly world, Madrid has a net financial gain with Woolwich as the minnow of the week than Getafe. Same for Chelsea with Milan rather than Palace.

There's just too much damn money to think the ESL isn't gonna happen in the next decade. These clubs are tired of paying the likes of Watford for being around.

Good post. Its sponsorships that distort the football landscape. Regular CL teams can bring in £300m by playing in continental competitions. Whilst big traditional clubs like Villa can maybe find £30m due to only competing domestically. This distortion is what I believe will cause the smaller clubs to say, you know what? Fuck off to your super league and we try and have a meaningful league that doesnt consist of a few elite clubs and 17 whipping boys.

Good post. Its sponsorships that distort the football landscape. Regular CL teams can bring in £300m by playing in continental competitions. Whilst big traditional clubs like Villa can maybe find £30m due to only competing domestically. This distortion is what I believe will cause the smaller clubs to say, you know what? Fuck off to your super league and we try and have a meaningful league that doesnt consist of a few elite clubs and 17 whipping boys.

If they do that they are fucked. They need the money the big clubs bring and trickle down to them.

Take the “Big 6” out of the PL and the TV and advertising money left over is a fraction of what it is now.

Yes, there is doubt. Go ask Juventus fans what they think about Paratici and the state he left them in. And of course they've not been good since he left, they're saddled with all his shit or mediocre signings in the team with no money because their wages are fucking them over!

Yes, they are. But they were successful abroad. Paratici completely fucked over Juventus in many ways in an easier environment, but we expect him to be a success at Spurs based on what? A reputation that is out of date? At one point he was rated very highly, but not when he joined us.

We shifted to Emerson because he suddenly became available IIRC. I highly doubt we gave Nuno any power in the market, why would we? You saw how quickly he was sacked, this was not a manager who was given backing or respect by the club. He was there because we (at the time) couldn't get Conte.
If Spurs would win 9 EPL titles in a row under Paratici but then he ended up leaving Spurs in a "little" mess in the 10th year, well, I'd be more than happy to take that!
Juve won 9 Seri A titles in a row while he was at the club and never has an Italian team been so dominant in Seri A ever. Which says how ungrateful the Juve supporters are if they only are able to see the negatives.
You only want to emphasize his negatives without seeing the positives. If he did such a terrible job then why did he last 11 years at Juve?

I am not at all defending him for his mistakes - like offering Ramsey £400,000 a week! - but he was not alone. A DoF always has a chairman above him who has the ultimate word.
Thus said, I was also not keen on Paratici, to begin with, and so far he's not done much to change that impression but I am also for giving people a chance. It does take time to adjust to a new league and country. Many Spurs fans have this doomsday mentality and if something doesn't work out right away then the person is shit and needs to go so he can be replaced.

Yes, Nuno was certainly not on top of the head-coach list but that does not mean that Levy would not back him. Do you really believe Levy would appoint a head-coach and then totally ignore his request for players and signal that you are here to be sacked? That does not make sense at all.

Back
Top Bottom