January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy and Lewis are in lockstep on the notion of a club with no money in and no money out spinning off as many real estate schemes to grow the empire as they can. That's the business model so long as ENIC owns the club.

Such is Lewis' lack of care for football, and unwillingness to live in London of course, that were Levy to no longer be in his post, the club would thus be run by a professional employee, as most clubs are on a day to day basis.

Possibly, but that's not to say the last 20 years wouldn't have operated with less of a feel for what the game entails.

To whatever extent there will be a trust between Lewis and Levy on certain levels that would never take place between Lewis and a mere employee.

I can't speak to that era, but one thing that's impressive about the new stadium is the way in which it is very consciously built to correct and improve upon all of the things that suck about the Library.

The football rivalry isn't in his blood, but the business rivalry very much is. The North London Stadium Derby was decisively won by Levy.

Clearly so..... I agree. Their gaff seems outdated already.

However, what I first alluded to long pre-dates our new gaff...... The cultural re-attachment I speak of took place over the first 5 years or so of ENIC's tenure.

However, what I first alluded to long pre-dates our new gaff...... The cultural re-attachment I speak of took place over the first 5 years or so of ENIC's tenure.
Immediately sacking Graham for Hoddle is a degree of fan service that it's hard to square with what has come since, admittedly.

But then again, repackaging the club's nostalgia and manager-as-savior are certainly two of the business practices that are very much in lieu of spending on players in the Levy ethos.

Immediately sacking Graham for Hoddle is a degree of fan service that it's hard to square with what has come since, admittedly.

But then again, repackaging the club's nostalgia and manager-as-savior are certainly two of the business practices that are very much in lieu of spending on players in the Levy ethos.

I said "re-attaching".... The distinction here is significant. No offense, but the cynicism of your take on this aspect reeks of someone that didn't experience the original drop-off of those elements under Sugar first hand.... Certainly not in situ on a match-day anyway.

Your insistence of seeing it as somehow in tandem with a tight-fisted spending ethos is way off too. You may not remember (or care to?), but there was a time for much of the first half of their tenure where we were seen as being notably active in the trf market outside of the glitz of United and the early days of Abramovic.

I said "re-attaching".... The distinction here is significant. No offense, but the cynicism of your take on this aspect reeks of someone that didn't experience the original drop-off of those elements under Sugar first hand.... Certainly not in situ on a match-day anyway.
I mean the thing is, not that I'm not aware that we were shit broadly speaking, but the days of Klinsmann and Ginola and Sheringham and the like were before my time and as such have a certain vintage appeal unto themselves, y'know?

I believe you, I'm not telling you you're wrong.
there was a time for much of the first half of their tenure where we were seen as being notably active in the trf market outside of the glitz of United and the early days of Abramovic.
This is not before my time and it's true! We used to do a ton of business.

That we don't live in that wheeler-dealer football world anymore is a big reason why Levyism is no longer viable.

I mean the thing is, not that I'm not aware that we were shit broadly speaking, but the days of Klinsmann and Ginola and Sheringham and the like were before my time and as such have a certain vintage appeal unto themselves, y'know?

I believe you, I'm not telling you you're wrong.

Again... Necessary distinction here; I'm not harping on about how shit we were or weren't ON the field during the 90's. Again, no offense intended, but you are showing a rather narrow comprehention of what the culture of the club entails. To feel remnants and echos of our history (at the time; the 50's, 60's 70's & 80') when you walk(ed) around the stadium is an important part of the match-day experience and much of that had been allowed to fade away.

This is not before my time and it's true! We used to do a ton of business.

That we don't live in that wheeler-dealer football world anymore is a big reason why Levyism is no longer viable.

Perhaps not, but like I said; there was no cause for you to attempt to forge a correlation between our transfer activity and the 'cultural rehab'(*) that I was speaking of.... I made no case pertaining to any upswing in results of quality or personnel.

(*Yes, ghastly phrasing, but I'm searching for workable short-hand....)

Bringing things back full circle; I think there's increasing credibility to the take that Levy as the overseeing strategist for the club (as a whole) has had his day, but the "22 years of failure", "they've ruined the club" narrative so commonly pedaled by a certain faction remains utter bollocks.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Possibly, but that's not to say the last 20 years wouldn't have operated with less of a feel for what the game entails.

To whatever extent there will be a trust between Lewis and Levy on certain levels that would never take place between Lewis and a mere employee.

Clearly so..... I agree. Their gaff seems outdated already.

“Well, it could be worse.”
- ENIC Representative

Makes me laugh that the punters are screaming the gaff down because Diaz.
Like me, 99% had never heard of him a few days ago.
What about Darwin Nunez with better stats than Diaz?

Have you seen Diaz play against top competition? He was a nightmare for Liverpool. He has been a nightmare for City. Same for Brazil and Argentina.

If You miss out on Luis Diaz because Liverpool beat you to it or it got leaked too early etc.. Fine. That's fine.

But what is KEY is how you react to that. If Spurs are actually angry then go make a reaction signing to that.

Conte clearly wants A RWB and CM and ST.

So this is what you do. Use that £50m you were willing to spend on Diaz on those positions. Maybe 1 of tose positions , or maybe all 3. BUT PLAYERS THAT IMPROVE THE FIRST XI. because that's what Conte wants.

We clearly have some money so let's actually spend it.

Some suggestions?

Wirtz , Nkunku , Aouar , Bissouma
Doku , Raphinha , Anthony , David , Bowen , Danjuma
Lamptey

All are gettable...
I want us to sign players, but this sounds like the worst advice ever honestly.

"Upset that you got pipped at the blackjack table? Well, march right over to the roulette wheel and plop £100 down on your birthday. That'll show the cunts!"

"Kulusevski, 21, has made 20 appearances so far for Juventus in Serie A this season, with 78 per cent of those coming from the bench. In those 20 games, the Swede has scored one goal and assisted three . . .

"I think Kulusevski is having a great season," Paratici said, as per Sky Italia when the signing [to Juve] was confirmed two years ago. "He’s scored a few goals, played at a high level, but don’t forget he is only 20 years old".

1 goal and 3 assists in just 20 games - should fit right in

Again... Necessary distinction here; I'm not harping on about how shit we were or weren't ON the field during the 90's. Again, no offense intended, but you are showing a rather narrow comprehention of what the culture of the club entails. To feel remnants and echos of our history (at the time; the 50's, 60's 70's & 80') when you walk(ed) around the stadium is an important part of the match-day experience and much of that he'd been allowed to fade away.

Perhaps not, but like I said; there was no cause for you to attempt to forge a correlation between our transfer activity and the 'cultural rehab'(*) that I was speaking of.... I made no case pertaining to any upswing in results of quality of personnel.

(*Yes, ghastly phrasing, but I'm searching for workable short-hand....)

Bringing things back full circle; I think there's increasing credibility to the take that Levy as the overseeing strategist for the club (as a whole) has had his day, but the "22 years of failure", "they've ruined the club" narrative so commonly pedaled by a certain faction remains utter bollocks.
Depends what your stance is on an actual football club. Sure Spurs fans cry about never winning trophies but we always supported entertaining football.

Yes Levy had previously bought classy players and we Loved that. We always had a spark most would never understand.

I give it to him, he is still trying to follow the same recipe. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Ndombele and LoCelso are brilliant in their own way buy they seem out of place in the modern game. Individual performances mean nothing. The game is faster, harder and way more tactical. It's the reason Conte was brought in. Here's where Levy hopelessly misses the bus. He tries to pinch pennies. He tries to decide a Team from the Board Rooms. He has full control. He concerntrates more in property development than football.

Levy has had his place in Spurs but that relationship has run its course. Its time to move on to bigger and greater things.

We've had fun but we need to evolve. Else we'll end up being The 60 year old Uncle, with the white shoes and suite, hitting on young girls while reminiscing on day when he ruled the dance floor.

Conte, who has seem him play rates him, Ronaldo who has trained with him and played with him rates him, he won Serie A young player of the year in 2020 but the Twitter brigade who had never heard of him 3 days ago reckon he’s rubbish, so that’s that then. He must be rubbish.
It’s because they’re all caught up on Diaz, who if we’re honest they hadn’t seen play much until he was mentioned on Tuesday, so now every other player is shit.

It’s classic from a lot of the people on here.

Back
Top Bottom