January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I understand why people are nervous about Werner, but IMO his time at Chelsea has become underrated.

When he was leading the line under Tuchel the team finished the season well and obviously won the CL. Whilst he was really profligate and became the source of a lot of derision, his off ball movement and pace in behind was a huge asset for that Chelsea side and his wastefulness in front of goal was (IMO) compensated by the space he created for others with his unselfish off-ball movement.

If my memory of the timeline is correct, Tuchel replaced him with Lukaku in the starting XI that summer and they became a worse team because of that.

I’m not all over his form since he left Chelsea and it appears he hasn’t been the player he was at RB first time around, but as a low-risk gamble I’m ok with it and I can see him fitting with Ange’s system pretty well.

If it’s a choice between him and Jota I’m picking Werner all day long.
His movement is a excellent, probably not gonna bag 15 goals but will open up spaces and great impact sub

Werner?! At first I was incredulous but as a loan deal and cover for Son then maybe it's not a bad idea?
Don't really care that he used to play for the scum...most players have played for other teams and it's how they perform for us that I care about!

May be a masterstroke...may not work...can it be any worse than last night's showing (Kuku did my nut in last night!)

Wasn't given a chance. There was always a player there. He was brilliant at Basel and I'm almost 100% positive Chelsea only signed him so we couldn't have him. No use for him, no need to buy him at the time. He'd played a blinder against us in the ropey league before he went to Chelsea and we were linked.
He played 13 league games at Chelsea. Not even sure many were starts.

You assume Ange has said yes. The proof will be if he actually uses Werner. If he's sat on the bench every week then he was opportunistic. Fact is, if he was any good at all, RBL wouldn't be loaning him out. He was a flash in the pan a few years ago. He was what everyone thought Kane would be.

See above IRO Salah, KDB was loaned out and barely kicked a ball at Chelsea. He didn't fail there simply because he wasn't there.

Richarlison isn't terrible. I'm not his biggest fan but he's a fuck lot better than Werner.
According to Fabrizio Romano, Ange has said yes to the dress

He’s been punted about the PL for a loan. Man Utd looked at him the other week so I expect this is one that fell into our laps like danjuma. Feels like that rather than any real thought has been put into it.

Rather him than Jota though. Knows the league and has scored at the new stadium…

Last edited:
I am up for this, not because I think he is great but because he is clearly better than Bryan Gil for the LWF role. It’s an easy upgrade plus its a loan with option so if he is good we can buy if not fix in the summer.

We could loan Werner for 6 months then buy and loan back Antonio Nusa for the remainder of the season. So short term fix and long term fix.

Back
Top Bottom