Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Developing CB's is somewhat of a right's of passage type scenario... And now you're supporting them with players we don't even have; not to mention Barrios has his own issues from what I saw at the world cup.

As the saying goes.... One step at a time.
At the World cup? He's played a lot more than that one snapshot and he's been fucking excellent. Watch Colombia v Argentina in the Copa America. If you've ever seen anyone simply bully Lionel Messi of the ball the way Barrios did, I'd love to hear about it.

Barrios should have been our player last January. He should be number one target this January.

Minimum on the bench from now on.

By the end of the season we need to know if he's first team material or not. If not, we'll need at least 3 centre halves come next July.
Don't think we would need 3 tbf. If Toby and Jan both go (which is looking likely), I believe we should replace them with 1 big centre back signing and partner said signing with Dav or Foyth.
We need to be looking at players of the quality of the likes of Umtiti, not young punts or bargain deals.

Something we're missing badly and have been for a few years. I'd love to see how Foyth, Tanganga and Sanchez coped as a defensive 3.

Think I'd go with Sanchez and Tanganga as a CB 2, and maybe consider a 3 man midfield to give additional protection - Ndombele, Winks and Dier (seemed to be getting back to match fitness) for experience, although I'd love to get Skipp playing in that 3 too.

Foyth hasn't played very much at any level for 3 years, so one to be eased in gently, and tbh Tanganga looked better than Foyth in preseason, hence starting hi rather than Foyth.

Think I'd go with Sanchez and Tanganga as a CB 2, and maybe consider a 3 man midfield to give additional protection - Ndombele, Winks and Dier (seemed to be getting back to match fitness) for experience, although I'd love to get Skipp playing in that 3 too.

Foyth hasn't played very much at any level for 3 years, so one to be eased in gently, and tbh Tanganga looked better than Foyth in preseason, hence starting hi rather than Foyth.
Foyth was injured in his first pre-season game after playing well for Argentina in the Copa America.

He is way more proven than Tanganga and definitely ahead of him in the pecking order. That being said, I imagine we see him at RB until January - starting with the game against Red Star.

At the World cup? He's played a lot more than that one snapshot and he's been fucking excellent. Watch Colombia v Argentina in the Copa America. If you've ever seen anyone simply bully Lionel Messi of the ball the way Barrios did, I'd love to hear about it.

The player I saw had a poor temperament and wasn't particularly comfortable with the ball.

I've not said he can't improve though.

Barrios should have been our player last January. He should be number one target this January.

Yet he extended at Boca and signed for Zenit the following Jan... What makes you think he's gonna leave so soon if he's doing well there?

Last edited:
Foyth was injured in his first pre-season game after playing well for Argentina in the Copa America.

He is way more proven than Tanganga and definitely ahead of him in the pecking order. That being said, I imagine we see him at RB until January - starting with the game against Red Star.

Foyth hasn't actually played that many appearances for Spurs - maybe 20 - and looked shaky in a few, plus a few for Argentina.

Tanganga has made 4 pre-season appearances plus one v Colchester and looked very composed in all of them, pretty much making no mistakes.

So not sure that there should be that much between them, as Tanganga has avoided making any significant errors, whereas Foyth has made errors.

Horses for courses of course.

But getting Tanganga into the first team squad would be a big win to get another club trained player in whereas Foyth is overseas trained and that's where we have always struggled - too many overseas trained players which has limited our squad.

Hopefully of course we get both into the first team proper this season, so next season we are not struggling for CB's (irrespective of probably neeeding to buy one in the next 12 months)

Not the time to introduce an untried youngster into the defence. Further forward maybe but if he is to play should wait until results improve and we are not in a crisis.

Not the time to introduce an untried youngster into the defence. Further forward maybe but if he is to play should wait until results improve and we are not in a crisis.

I disagree.
What's the point in sticking with the players that aren't performing? What's that going to achieve?
I think introducing one or two youngsters is what we need. Fresh legs and hopefully some competition for places to give everyone a kick up the arse.
I think if the youngsters are hungry to play they'll relish the chance and try to stake a claim on a place in the first team.

I disagree.
What's the point in sticking with the players that aren't performing? What's that going to achieve?
I think introducing one or two youngsters is what we need. Fresh legs and hopefully some competition for places to give everyone a kick up the arse.
I think if the youngsters are hungry to play they'll relish the chance and try to stake a claim on a place in the first team.
Play Foyth, Skipp or KWP who already have some experience but putting a player into the defence when things are as they are could ruin his confidence and set him back.

I disagree.
Absolutely, rather see 100% effort and a smiling face than the current "Couldn't give a shit" ones out there. :thumbup:

Play Foyth, Skipp or KWP who already have some experience but putting a player into the defence when things are as they are could ruin his confidence and set him back.
You know what would ruin any young players confidence? Watching two players well past their prime, lumbering around, failing to do the basics, and realising, you still have no chance of being picked.

KWP ring a bell?

The player I saw had a poor temperament and wasn't particularly comfortable with the ball.

I've not said he can't improve though.

Yet he extended at Boca and signed for Zenit the following Jan... What makes you think he's gonna leave so soon if he's doing well there?
Russia is implementing a new rule at the end of the season that limits the amount of foreign players at every club. All teams in the league are going to have to sell foreign players this summer.

Really hoping he and Skipp get more time.

But the fans are going to have to put their back into it if they want to sing chants comparing Tanganga to Koulibaly. I'm afraid "Jose's a yid" modified won't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom