Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tanganga isn't a RB.

He can't play RB for 38 games a season and then we expect to challenge.

Its not signing a RB for the sake of it, its signing a RB because we really need quality in that position.

We need quality in a number of positions

I was very surprised Mourhinio named him as a RB as in youth circles he's always been a CB, bit having seen him playing as a RB, then whilst I'd prefer to bring in a top RB, if we had to compromise on one position as we couldn't fill all the positions with top players IMO Tanganga at RB would be one of the best compromises we could make

We need quality in a number of positions

I was very surprised Mourhinio named him as a RB as in youth circles he's always been a CB, bit having seen him playing as a RB, then whilst I'd prefer to bring in a top RB, if we had to compromise on one position as we couldn't fill all the positions with top players IMO Tanganga at RB would be one of the best compromises we could make
I just hope we buy a new RB. I'd hope we don't compromise and just improve our 11.

I think Mourinho needs to be 'fully backed' if he is here so we can judge him better.

dont give your man acres of space to put in a lovely cross next time

He's a youngster in the mould of Tony Gardner or Alton Thelwell. They have a good game here or there and fans cling to the hope that they are an answer to our problems, as they are surrounded by a sea of shit.

Deep down, we know he isn't the answer to any problems. He's a squad player to fill in games here and there.

Tanganga wasn't good yesterday but he's had some good performances at RB, stood out against Sterling and Mane as being well able to deal with physical, quick wingers. I've outlined here before why I don't think he's a long term right back. Mostly to do with how he receives the ball and moves it on, he's just not suited to the passing angles that RB forces you into and he's not good at crossing the ball.

Serious decision to be made on him over the summer, because this guy needs 30+ games at CB next season if he's to find his groove in that position.

I'm not very familiar with Holgate's game. Could I get you to elaborate on that?
My guess, he means a centre back who's often deployed as a right back.

Holgate can play right back but like Tanganga, it's easy to tell that is not his natural position.

My guess, he means a centre back who's often deployed as a right back.

Holgate can play right back but like Tanganga, it's easy to tell that is not his natural position.
And Everton wouldn't sit there and say 'we don't need to replace Coleman' because we have Holgate. They are looking at RBs in the summer to upgrade in that department whereas we don't have that sort of good attitude.

Yesterday's game was a perfect example of why he isn't a RB. and btw he's a half decent player who just needs to be used properly. Firstly I'm going to not count the mistake he made for the 1st goal or the sort of mistake. It was simply a sloppy pass and tbh unlike Sanchez it was his only real sloppy pass so that's not going to make or break him.

However.. What i saw yesterday makes me hope that Mourinho will change his mind.

1) He defended far too narrow. It meant that Newcastle's LWB was given the freedom of the pitch because Tanganga kept tucking in. Another problem is that meant when defending players can make late runs in behind him in the box , Joelinton got a chance from this. His positional play is poor because his positional play is like that of a CB.

2) The bigger issue well at least the issue in the future will be his lack of attacking. I believe he made 1 cross in total yesterday and yes he made a few late runs into the box but in reality we had no threat down that side. In fact that was part of the reason why we lost because Newcastle just didn't even need to bother defending down that side. Tanganga didn't get forward and if he beat his man it was on the half way line not on the byline.

Yesterday's game was a perfect example of why he isn't a RB. and btw he's a half decent player who just needs to be used properly. Firstly I'm going to not count the mistake he made for the 1st goal or the sort of mistake. It was simply a sloppy pass and tbh unlike Sanchez it was his only real sloppy pass so that's not going to make or break him.

However.. What i saw yesterday makes me hope that Mourinho will change his mind.

1) He defended far too narrow. It meant that Newcastle's LWB was given the freedom of the pitch because Tanganga kept tucking in. Another problem is that meant when defending players can make late runs in behind him in the box , Joelinton got a chance from this. His positional play is poor because his positional play is like that of a CB.

2) The bigger issue well at least the issue in the future will be his lack of attacking. I believe he made 1 cross in total yesterday and yes he made a few late runs into the box but in reality we had no threat down that side. In fact that was part of the reason why we lost because Newcastle just didn't even need to bother defending down that side. Tanganga didn't get forward and if he beat his man it was on the half way line not on the byline.
Every thing you say here to my mind us fair. But more worrying the issues you raised are clear and overtly coach able. I makes me ask for the umpteenth time what do they do all week.

Kind of reminds me of Danny Rose saying he was only ever taught the positional requirements of Left back by Pochettino.

Japhet has potential he also is a hard worker with heart. Send him on a season long loan to championship team that will play him at CB. He has potential to tap we can't waste anymore of his development time.

Back
Top Bottom