Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brilliant yesterday. I had mates texting me saying they had no idea how good he was. I dont trust his positional sense at cb, hopefully that will come a he matures.

He is, however, awesome at one on one defending, and I'd love to see him cement his place as the clubs premier right back.

Japhet Tanganga, he's never wanked!

Go back just a few weeks and there were plenty of people here insisting he wasn't good enough, or isn't likely to be good enough. Now after one game he's suddenly our entire future. This place is absolutely mental.

I always liked him and thought he had a lot of potential, largely as a centre-back, so this isn't a dig at Japhet. Just that yet again, as always, opinions completely change after just 90 minutes of football. Had he had a poor game some of these same people would have been throwing him under the bus.

I don’t think he has the right build to be a CB in the PL. I see him developing into an Azpilicueta-type (I’m not saying he will be as good), a defensively sound RB who can also play as a LB or as a CB on the side of a back 3.

Height isn’t everything but he hasn’t got the kind of leaping power you need as a CB to compensate for being short. I much prefer him facing tricky wingers in ground duels in the corner than having to challenge for crosses in the centre of the goal.

Go back just a few weeks and there were plenty of people here insisting he wasn't good enough, or isn't likely to be good enough. Now after one game he's suddenly our entire future. This place is absolutely mental.

I always liked him and thought he had a lot of potential, largely as a centre-back, so this isn't a dig at Japhet. Just that yet again, as always, opinions completely change after just 90 minutes of football. Had he had a poor game some of these same people would have been throwing him under the bus.
True and it is very early days under Nuno. But Tanganga looked fearless against city. That element was part of the issue with our squad last season and we need players like him to intimidate the opposition. He's really strong but fast and very mobile and we all know from the documentary that he's hungry for success and has got his head screwed-on.

If he keeps up that sort of quality performance then I'm all for him keeping the position.

True and it is very early days under Nuno. But Tanganga looked fearless against city. That element was part of the issue with our squad last season and we need players like him to intimidate the opposition. He's really strong but fast and very mobile and we all know from the documentary that he's hungry for success and has got his head screwed-on.

If he keeps up that sort of quality performance then I'm all for him keeping the position.

He was brilliant. I said in the match thread he looked world-class. I'm not discrediting him. Simply making the point how quickly people's opinion can do a 360, or at least a 180.

He was brilliant. I said in the match thread he looked world-class. I'm not discrediting him. Simply making the point how quickly people's opinion can do a 360, or at least a 180.
I suppose there's a bit of leeway when it's a new season and a new manager, but you're not wrong. It is a fickle sport. Lee McQueen on Last Word on Spurs likens it to the Okey-Cokey: one week in, next week out.

i43.gif

I had just thought that on 36 seconds. That was almost dembele-esque.
Doesn't use his body as well as him yet, Poch was brilliant at getting his players to get their body between oppo and ball, often Tanganga is shoulder to shoulder or a bit behind (not yesterday though) but hopefully, Nuno can develop him on this.

More than anything, he never quits, he's always competing, so even if oppo gets past him he's still applying enough pressure that might mean a rushed cross or pass that's poorly delieved. (Tripps will be holding his face at this point and would have stopped running).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom