Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wish people would stop saying Y-word, just say the fucking word ffs. The club did this long consultation and can't even bring themselves to write yid. Not only do they not understand context but they are saying it is wrong to use the word.
They know 100% about the context mate they've argued specifically on this exact point for years. The reason why "Y" word is used is because "Yid" offends some people.

They know 100% about the context mate they've argued specifically on this exact point for years. The reason why "Y" word is used is because "Yid" offends some people.
Then they should issue an outright ban then and forget the consultation because some people will be offended when they go to the games.

Then they should issue an outright ban then and forget the consultation because some people will be offended when they go to the games.
You are making it out as the Clubs fault.

I think it's reasonable that the consultation has been done as part of the process to effect change, it's the beginning of a typical change management strategy. I'd also suggest that this has been the result of outside pressure put on the Club, probably from the PL. It was quite evident that something was brewing at the beginning of the season as there were a few articles doing the rounds within the press for no particular specific reason. They are no doubt trying to effect change by giving people the opportunity to buy in, as opposed to being told outright stop.

To tell people to stop will be met with defiance (as it has in the past) so a different tactic has been initiated.

Little off topic, but the only time this whole "Yid" thing angers me is when you have hypocrites like David Baddiel, a jewish Chelsea fan who has a problem with us chanting "Yid Army", but seemingly no problem with his own clubs supporters making gas chamber hissing sounds at Spurs/Chelsea matches.

You are making it out as the Clubs fault.

I think it's reasonable that the consultation has been done as part of the process to effect change, it's the beginning of a typical change management strategy. I'd also suggest that this has been the result of outside pressure put on the Club, probably from the PL. It was quite evident that something was brewing at the beginning of the season as there were a few articles doing the rounds within the press for no particular specific reason. They are no doubt trying to effect change by giving people the opportunity to buy in, as opposed to being told outright stop.

To tell people to stop will be met with defiance (as it has in the past) so a different tactic has been initiated.
As far as using Y-word and not yid it is. You explained the reason why they aren't using yid is because some people might be offended by it. Ok then if they feel that way then it's completely logical that they should ban it's usage.

Yep I know it's a result of outside pressure, it comes up every couple of years. I think it's a waste of time because some people will keep on chanting it regardless, as you said. Personally I don't use it anyway and won't lose any sleep if it's banned but I understand why people say it and why they want to keep on saying it.

As far as using Y-word and not yid it is. You explained the reason why they aren't using yid is because some people might be offended by it. Ok then if they feel that way then it's completely logical that they should ban it's usage.

Yep I know it's a result of outside pressure, it comes up every couple of years. I think it's a waste of time because some people will keep on chanting it regardless, as you said. Personally I don't use it anyway and won't lose any sleep if it's banned but I understand why people say it and why they want to keep on saying it.
It's not just the Club who don't print the word Yid, it's in every media outlet too, for exactly the same reason.

It's not just the Club who don't print the word Yid, it's in every media outlet too, for exactly the same reason.
They are wrong too, but I'm talking about the club in this instance, I would expect them to know better and stand their ground tbh.

They are wrong too, but I'm talking about the club in this instance, I would expect them to know better and stand their ground tbh.
They are wrong not to print the word "Yid" in the media even though it offends some people of the Jewish faith? You are saying fuck them, offend those jews by using the word?

Really disappointed with the clubs reporting of the survey results: “nearly half think X is a bad thing” should be rewritten as “over half think X is a good thing”
Not necessarily - I think the survey questions were phrased something like:

"To what extent do you agree that X is a bad thing?"
Strongly agree/Agree/Neither agree nor disagree/Disagree/Strongly disagree

So if 40% agree or strongly agree that X is a bad thing, that doesn't mean 60% disagree or strongly disagree, because of the "neither agree nor disagree" responses

Little off topic, but the only time this whole "Yid" thing angers me is when you have hypocrites like David Baddiel, a jewish Chelsea fan who has a problem with us chanting "Yid Army", but seemingly no problem with his own clubs he supporters making gas chamber hissing sounds at Spurs/Chelsea matches.
He has issues but believes 90% of the reason is because we call ourselves Yid. Can't admit to himself that it's the club he supports are and always has been toxic.

They are wrong not to print the word "Yid" in the media even though it offends some people of the Jewish faith? You are saying fuck them, offend those jews by using the word?
Well no, but not using a word is perverse, the actual letters in yid hold no power and y-word means exactly the same. Context is important

There is a line between freedom of expression and offence, you will have one yourself, and in this instance I believe we are on the right line.

Last edited:
Clearly there is an attempt to avoid/refrain from using the word so as not to offend. There would be no use of the term "Y-word", it simply would exist.
Yes some people do that, doesn't mean I agree, within context

I don't mean to edit my post as you post yours, sorry its a bad habit to add a point and you responded before I posted.

So out of 23,000 fans surveyed only 11% where Jewish. And when it comes down to it, they are the only numbers that can really comment on whether the term is deemed offensive or not.

The other 20k are entitled to their opinion for sure, and non Jews can certainly express their discomfort for their fellow Jewish fans / friends / family members. But at the end of the day, they are passing comment on others behalf.

The modern stance on discrimination would suggest that if 1 supporter in the ground (or hearing it carrying on the wind a mile away) is offended - then that is one too many.

But in practice. If you asked 23,000 people if they where offended by the word "turnip" you'd probably find at least one person who was.

There are bigger fish to go after in this particular murky, dank pond (you don't have to go far up the road) and we live at a time where racism and discrimination has been politicised and re-branded as nationalism. It is institutional at the highest level.

The idea that us normalising the word means they can't go after the Nazi salutes and hissing is like straightening a picture in a house where the roof has blown off.

Yid Army.
Coincidentally the word 'turnip' is actually banned at The Etihad which is why, in their 55000 stadium, you don't see many city fans turnip

Yes some people do that, doesn't mean I agree, within context

I don't mean to edit my post as you post yours, sorry its a bad habit to add a point and you responded before I posted.
Yep, I actually agree with everything about context. I'm posting the flip side because I also agree with those (Jewish Spurs fans) who don't like it. Which goes back to my original post of what's wrong with signing Hava Nagila instead? History dictates why we would sing it, there would be clear lineage and still enforces an identity that has been shaped by the past 40-50yrs.

Yep, I actually agree with everything about context. I'm posting the flip side because I also agree with those (Jewish Spurs fans) who don't like it.
I think they need to toughen up a bit or do you think that's a bit too short-sighted?

There are also Jewish Spurs fans who have no problems with it btw.

I think they need to toughen up a bit or do you think that's a bit too short-sighted?

There are also Jewish Spurs fans who have no problems with it btw.
IMO it needs to be sorted by the Jewish fanbase. The example I give with the Jewish guy I sit next to who is genuinely deeply offended by it then has it flipped on it's head when he gives his seat up to his brother and his nephew who absolutely love it and belt it out (they are Jews in case of any doubt). So, perhaps even the context isn't as straight forward as it seems, there isn't any doubt of context from the guy I sit next to, but he is deeply offended with the word.

I'll happily respect whatever Jewish Spurs want, but quite how they decide or resolve looks extremely difficult to me. Maybe the club should just have just focused on the 17% or whatever it was???

I’m uncomfortable with it on multi levels.

The obvious offence it can cause to some.

And I don’t really like the association - it creates in my brain anyway - with the deplorable Israeli quasi apartheid government regimes of recent years.

And I know their “governments” aren’t representative of all Jewish people, and many are as appalled and opposed to them as I am, and I am also well aware of the complexities of this particular geopolitical clusterfuck (and that they aren’t one sided) but the association still doesn’t sit easy with me.

Many people struggle with the difference between anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism. Israel certainly doesn't encourage people to actively differentiate.

Personally i think the Yid debate is complicated enough without bringing Israel into it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom