Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're a moron. Tell me the etymology of "paki"? Just tell them when you say that that it comes from Pakistan and is no different to calling a British person a "Brit".

I told you that would just try and justify the use of the word. And again, it all boils down to the fact you and other assorted racists and morons love to chant "YID".

Just admit you know it is wrong but your love of chanting it is more important than the offence you cause.
Behave yersel, ya daft cunt

Not sure what the impact on us using the term 'YID' is though.
Using the word "yid" the way we do doesn't appear on the working definitions list. The list is concerned with the common anti-semitic tropes of "jews rule the world in secret", "jews are greedy", holocaust denial and more general forms of racism like suggesting that the negative actions of an individual are representative of the group.

Saying "yid" doesn't accuse the Jewish people of being or doing anything negative, doesn't deny their suffering, and it certainly isn't a call to violence against them.

One of the working definitions is "Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis".

Well fuck me, I guess I'm an anti-semite. The leaders of Israel clearly believe in some form of the "lebensraum" nonsense to justify their annexasation of palestine.

Thankfully that's the only nonsense bullet point there.

Using the word "yid" the way we do doesn't appear on the working definitions list. The list is concerned with the common anti-semitic tropes of "jews rule the world in secret", "jews are greedy", holocaust denial and more general forms of racism like suggesting that the negative actions of an individual are representative of the group.

Saying "yid" doesn't accuse the Jewish people of being or doing anything negative, doesn't deny their suffering, and it certainly isn't a call to violence against them.

One of the working definitions is "Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis".

Well fuck me, I guess I'm an anti-semite. The leaders of Israel clearly believe in some form of the "lebensraum" nonsense to justify their annexasation of palestine.

Thankfully that's the only nonsense bullet point there.
Steady mate, the concept of "lebensraum" included the physical extermination of people living in annexed territory. You are putting yourself on a slippery slope here.

There are problems with the IHRA definition.

First, the line “Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews" is deeply problematic. What does 'certain perception' actually mean? What about suspicion or fear, as well as hatred? There are other issues with the language here I won't list.

The Israel examples are another issue as someone has pointed out above. Adopting the IHRA definition makes it very difficult to criticise the policy of the Israeli gov't.

It goes without saying almost I fully agree with the principle of eradicating antisemitism anywhere but the IHRA definition does not provide a good starting point. David Feldman's piece in The Guardian is a good corrective

Steady mate, the concept of "lebensraum" included the physical extermination of people living in annexed territory. You are putting yourself on a slippery slope here.
That's why I said "some form". People like Netanyahu clearly do want to drive Palestinians out in order to "reclaim" the holy land, their birthright or a Jewish homeland over whatever, even if they don't necessarily believe in the wholesale extermination of Palestinians.

The fact that they do so with extreme violence and in many cases do treat Arabs as less than human is undeniable. Often the cruelty seems to be the point.

Not sure what the impact on us using the term 'YID' is though.

There are problems with the IHRA definition.

First, the line “Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews" is deeply problematic. What does 'certain perception' actually mean? What about suspicion or fear, as well as hatred? There are other issues with the language here I won't list.

The Israel examples are another issue as someone has pointed out above. Adopting the IHRA definition makes it very difficult to criticise the policy of the Israeli gov't.

It goes without saying almost I fully agree with the principle of eradicating antisemitism anywhere but the IHRA definition does not provide a good starting point. David Feldman's piece in The Guardian is a good corrective
The fact it doesn't mention the word 'Yid' in its summary (as far as I can tell) is deeply telling....

Calling a Jew a Yid doesn't mean you necessarily HATE them, (or Israel, or blame them for the world's problems)
....however, calling them a tight fisted dirty Jew (without any need to mention the 'Y-word') just might!!
There's the difference.

The media's persistent portrayal of Levy (and, by association, Tottenham) as tight fisted, and hard to negotiate with - due to money - is precisely the perception they mean....
By them saying Levy is always looking fo a bargain, and won't spend money, is directly assiciating HIM with Spurs, and a Jewish sterotype!

Don't get me wrong, the Scots used to get just as much flak from 'Eng-er-land' for being tight fisted.... but with them, there didn't seem to be the same level of distain, or dislike aimed towards them as there was with Jews.

It's subtle, I grant you.... but it's ALWAYS been there!

The fact it doesn't mention the word 'Yid' in its summary (as far as I can tell) is deeply telling....

Calling a Jew a Yid doesn't mean you necessarily HATE them, (or Israel, or blame them for the world's problems)
....however, calling them a tight fisted dirty Jew (without any need to mention the 'Y-word') just might!!
There's the difference.

The media's persistent portrayal of Levy (and, by association, Tottenham) as tight fisted, and hard to negotiate with - due to money - is precisely the perception they mean....
By them saying Levy is always looking fo a bargain, and won't spend money, is directly assiciating HIM with Spurs, and a Jewish sterotype!

Don't get me wrong, the Scots used to get just as much flak from 'Eng-er-land' for being tight fisted.... but with them, there didn't seem to be the same level of distain, or dislike aimed towards them as there was with Jews.

It's subtle, I grant you.... but it's ALWAYS been there!

Levy and Spurs are hard to negiotiate with, but not because the top man is jewish. It's because he's a businessman who always looks out for his own business first. He gets a lot of respect for this too, not just flak. There are certain to be people that connect it to him being jewish, but then that perception is a problem with their view of things.

Levy is a brilliant businessman, being jewish isn't the focal point here.

Levy and Spurs are hard to negiotiate with, but not because the top man is jewish. It's because he's a businessman who always looks out for his own business first. He gets a lot of respect for this too, not just flak. There are certain to be people that connect it to him being jewish, but then that perception is a problem with their view of things.

Levy is a brilliant businessman, being jewish isn't the focal point here.
You're absolutely right... 100% spot on... it shouldn't be because he is Jewish... but unfortunately, the narrative has already been set... Levy is a businessman...who just happens to be a Jewish businessman!

When other clubs play hardball... it's because the club wants the best deal... when Spurs do it, it's because Daniel Levy is a tough negotiator... Levy is, without question, a Jewish name... and the media know that... which is why, when other clubs negotiate, you only ever hear the Clubs' name mentioned.. but when Tottenham enter into negotiations, you know, as well as I do, that it's DANIEL LEVY'S name who gets thrust into the bidding war...

Don't get me wrong... there are plenty of other clubs who have financial Jewish connections; ArseAnal, Chelsea (ironically), Man Utd (I'm assuming the Glazers are...) but they rarely get name checked...
Yet when Spurs enter into the transfer market, Levy's name is always at the forefront of the headline, as the one pushing hard for a bargain... why the fuck is that?

Yes, he's a businessman... but so are most Premier League Chairmen... who all want the best deal for their respective clubs/businesses... and yet I don't hear half their names mentioned anywhere NEAR as much as I do Levy's when the subject of transfer negotiations comes up!

Maybe Levy/Spurs ARE just tight fisted Jews... maybe the media had called it right all along, and i'm a total paranoid Jew (like most of my 'ilk'...) EVERYONE says we're paranoid... b'boom!
....but don't say you aren't aware of the sub-text that has been going on for decades!

The media used to love Spurs (in the '60s-'80s...) then something changed.... maybe it was Scholar onwards... but there has been a tangible dislike for everything Spurs have tried to do since we floated on the stock exchange in the early '80s... maybe we were too much a part of 'Thatcher's Britain'... and that's what the media don't like!! ...and who could blame them?

Back
Top Bottom