Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're not the fucking criminals here!!

No one is saying we are, this is not a legal issue, it's more about what is moral here.

You also say it's origins of it's use are not racist and that millenials are making it a racist term. I am not a millenial but it's safe to say we weren't originally chanting the word 'Yid' because it was a friendly term, it was because we took the moniker on and made it a term of endearment, which is a good thing.

I think the issue is still in the balance and I'm not going to stop any fellow fan from chanting it but I think we still have to be aware of what it means now, things don't remain the same forever.

No one is saying we are, this is not a legal issue, it's more about what is moral here.

You also say it's origins of it's use are not racist and that millenials are making it a racist term. I am not a millenial but it's safe to say we weren't originally chanting the word 'Yid' because it was a friendly term, it was because we took the moniker on and made it a term of endearment, which is a good thing.

I think the issue is still in the balance and I'm not going to stop any fellow fan from chanting it but I think we still have to be aware of what it means now, things don't remain the same forever.
I didn't say Millenals made it racist... (they always make it all about them!) Oswald Mosely onwards made it racist in the '30s!!

Millenials, and plenty before them either don't KNOW the origins, choose to ignore it, or just forgot!
Yes, our use of the word began because the meaning was being used negatively, my point was the mis-use of the word was ALWAYS the problem... not a bunch of fans trying to dissipate and neutralise it's meaning by attempting to use it in a positive sense, which, whether they knew it or not... was it's ORIGINAL 'original' meaning!!

How many fucking times?? Its not complicated... The word YID means/MEANT 'Friend/mate' in Yiddish... ask any Jew you like! (Not the Millenial ones, they don't have a fucking clue!)

Jews were NEVER offended by a word THEY USED ABOUT THEMSELVES... ("He's a nice YIDDESHE boy" ask your Bubba or Zeida, they'll yell ya!)

... it was never a word to 'reclaim' ...it was ours in the first place!

I think you'll find it was the racist bigots of the '60s/'70s onwards, (and yes, nice YIDDESHE boys like Baddieil's Chelsea, and Ian Abrahams' West Ham) who twisted, raped and skewed the fuck out of the true MEANING of the word, that an entire generation of Football fans have even felt the need to RECLAIM IT...

Ask any decent Hindu, with a PEACEFUL SWASTIKA symbol on their wall, what it means to have a symbol/word ripped away from you, that you have to RECLAIM something that was stolen from you and warped into something SO ugly, the world collectively forgot it's original meaning....

Has everyone gone fucking mad?

I'm not offended by the word YID, used in a positive context... I AM offended by being called a dirty fucking JEW.... however, with no MENTION of the "Y word" (lest we use it!)

I'm not offended by other Spurs fans using the word YID, regardless of their religious background....
I AM offended by a hate-filled anti Semite who decides that making hissing noises on a matchday in N17 is perfectly justified, just because he got around it 'cos he doesn't mention the word YID!

When did the definition of the word CONTEXT suddenly fall out of the collective unconsciousness of society?
It's FUCKING context people!

Thanks for educating me, why have Baddiel and Lucas never mentioned this in their campaigns?

The way it’s been presented to me in my entire life was that just saying the word could be misconstrued as deeply offensive.

I wouldn’t know though, I’m not from the Jewish culture, and as someone who constantly gets told my experience isn’t valid, I’m mindful of doing this to others.

Thanks for educating me, why have Baddiel and Lucas never mentioned this in their campaigns?

The way it’s been presented to me in my entire life was that just saying the word could be misconstrued as deeply offensive.

I wouldn’t know though, I’m not from the Jewish culture, and as someone who constantly gets told my experience isn’t valid, I’m mindful of doing this to others.
Because they are tossers.

We cant win we use the word in terms of endearment we embrace it and go with it and oh boy how it annoys everyone! But if we did the opposite distanced ourselves from it cunts like Baddiel and fat fuck Lucas would turn round and give us shit about be anti-Semitic and ignoring our history and heritage!..... perhaps it’s just about us, Tottenham and the Jewish thing is just an excuse?

Last edited:
How many fucking times?? Its not complicated... The word YID means/MEANT 'Friend/mate' in Yiddish... ask any Jew you like! (Not the Millenial ones, they don't have a fucking clue!)

Jews were NEVER offended by a word THEY USED ABOUT THEMSELVES... ("He's a nice YIDDESHE boy" ask your Bubba or Zeida, they'll yell ya!)

... it was never a word to 'reclaim' ...it was ours in the first place!

I think you'll find it was the racist bigots of the '60s/'70s onwards, (and yes, nice YIDDESHE boys like Baddieil's Chelsea, and Ian Abrahams' West Ham) who twisted, raped and skewed the fuck out of the true MEANING of the word, that an entire generation of Football fans have even felt the need to RECLAIM IT...

Ask any decent Hindu, with a PEACEFUL SWASTIKA symbol on their wall, what it means to have a symbol/word ripped away from you, that you have to RECLAIM something that was stolen from you and warped into something SO ugly, the world collectively forgot it's original meaning....

Has everyone gone fucking mad?

I'm not offended by the word YID, used in a positive context... I AM offended by being called a dirty fucking JEW.... however, with no MENTION of the "Y word" (lest we use it!)

I'm not offended by other Spurs fans using the word YID, regardless of their religious background....
I AM offended by a hate-filled anti Semite who decides that making hissing noises on a matchday in N17 is perfectly justified, just because he got around it 'cos he doesn't mention the word YID!

When did the definition of the word CONTEXT suddenly fall out of the collective unconsciousness of society?
It's FUCKING context people!

Exactly this; Over the weekend meeting my mates for the first game we all filled the form out pointing out our solidarity by using the word!
In fact last summer I was in Tel Aviv watching Spurs with Israeli YIDS proud to join in with the rest of us in using the term!!
Ironically we were in Mike's Bar, a seaside bar bombed a few years ago by Brit terrorists.

Not particularly interesting but on Saturday at Euston station got spat at and called a Jewish cunt by 2 Millwall fans in front of a row of policemen who stood there laughing - sofuck em the thing I love most is being a yid!

Not particularly interesting but on Saturday at Euston station got spat at and called a Jewish cunt by 2 Millwall fans in front of a row of policemen who stood there laughing - sofuck em the thing I love most is being a yid!
Not very PC behaviour from those PCs.
Fair play to you for laughing it off though.

Can I ask a really stupid question. I’ve obviously missed it somewhere along the line, but where do you find the form for this ?
Apologies in advance I know it’s probably right in front of me somewhere...😳

Can I ask a really stupid question. I’ve obviously missed it somewhere along the line, but where do you find the form for this ?
Apologies in advance I know it’s probably right in front of me somewhere...😳
The club claim to have emailed all season ticket holders and members a link to the survey

Not trying to tell anybody what to do, but some of the posts on here seem a little out there to me.

I’m Jewish, and I’ve never heard a Jew call another Jew a yid. I think that would be rather offensive in fact. So regardless of the origins of the word, its meaning today is pejorative, and its meaning today is what matters.

Suggestions that Baddiel et al would accuse us of “forgetting our Jewish roots” if we stop saying “yid” are so absurd as to deserve no further mention.

The anti-semites who hurl abuse are of course the real problem and should be punished. But I do believe pushing the Jewish angle so hard only exacerbates the problem. Spurs can respect that the Tottenham area used to have a lot of Jews and many supporters were/are Jewish without being a Yid Army. Analogies comparing this to two men kissing on the street are poor. This isn’t about Jews just going about their lives being Jews and being attacked for it. This is mostly non-Jews screaming a reclaimed offensive-to-Jews word in a heated atmosphere that should really be secular.

I’ve just decided that religion has no place in football*. And when we bring it up, it just encourages the anti-semites to come out of their holes. So I don’t bring it up anymore.

* But thanks to whoever prayed for Moura’s goals.

Not very PC behaviour from those PCs.
Fair play to you for laughing it off though.
It's 'cos they didn't call you a YID... only a "Jewish Cunt".... that's not offensive in the slightest.. it's clearly the use of the word YID that's the problem! :pocheyes:
It's ALL about CUNTEXT!!!

Not trying to tell anybody what to do, but some of the posts on here seem a little out there to me.

I’m Jewish, and I’ve never heard a Jew call another Jew a yid. I think that would be rather offensive in fact. So regardless of the origins of the word, its meaning today is pejorative, and its meaning today is what matters.

Suggestions that Baddiel et al would accuse us of “forgetting our Jewish roots” if we stop saying “yid” are so absurd as to deserve no further mention.

The anti-semites who hurl abuse are of course the real problem and should be punished. But I do believe pushing the Jewish angle so hard only exacerbates the problem. Spurs can respect that the Tottenham area used to have a lot of Jews and many supporters were/are Jewish without being a Yid Army. Analogies comparing this to two men kissing on the street are poor. This isn’t about Jews just going about their lives being Jews and being attacked for it. This is mostly non-Jews screaming a reclaimed offensive-to-Jews word in a heated atmosphere that should really be secular.

I’ve just decided that religion has no place in football*. And when we bring it up, it just encourages the anti-semites to come out of their holes. So I don’t bring it up anymore.

* But thanks to whoever prayed for Moura’s goals.
To quote Billy Joel:
We didn't start the fire!!

In Yiddish, the word "Yid" Yiddish: ייד‎ is neutral or even complimentary, and in AshkenaziYiddish-speaking circles it is frequently used to mean simply "fellow," "chap," "buddy," "mate," etc., with no expressed emphasis on Jewishness (although this may be implied by the intra-Jewish context). Plural is יידן [jidn].
In Yiddish, a polite way to address a fellow Jew whose name one does not know is Reb Yid, meaning "Sir." The Yiddish words yidish or yiddisher (from Middle High German jüdisch) is an adjective derived from the noun Yid, and thus means "Jewish".

Just 'cos there's no 1890's footage on Instatwat of any Yiddeshe speakers using the word in a polite form, doesn't mean it didn't happen!!

I'd rather be called a YID than a 'Dirty Jew' and being 'Hissed at' ('cos as we ALL know, YID, even in a defamatory term, only EVER meant 'Jew')

And at the end of the day... IT'S ONLY A FUCKING WORD...
If you take the word "YID" out of usage, would you also have to take the words; 'Dirty, Jew, Big and Nose' out of usage?
I've been called all of those, yet ironically, being called a YID was the one that offended me the least!

'Cos believe me... if WE stop using the word YID... it certainly won't stop certain sections of society by-passing the word entirely, yet still managing to cause offence! "Big nosed dirty Jew" is WAY more offensive than YID...

The WORD isn't the problem...
anti-Semitics are!!

Some people need to get over themselves and realise where the true problem in society lies!

Wow. unreal how people can away with things like that in this day and age.

Wow. unreal how people can away with things like that in this day and age.
My son (27) was pissed off with the lack of response from the police who seemed to find someone being racially abused very amusing.

My sole definition of yid is a Tottenham Hotspur fc supporter and is a term I will continue to use with great pride, despite being born in Edgware, growing up in Golders Green and going to schools in Hendon and Finchley as well being a spurs fan I am not Jewish but I am 100% yid

My sole definition of yid is a Tottenham Hotspur fc supporter and is a term I will continue to use with great pride, despite being born in Edgware, growing up in Golders Green and going to schools in Hendon and Finchley as well being a spurs fan I am not Jewish but I am 100% yid
....and that right there is both the solution AND the problem....

Imagine a world in which 'YID' didn't mean Jew, but ONLY a Tottenham fan... I reckon most fans of other clubs would (and many already have) stopped using it...

Imagine a world where SPURS fans managed to re-define a word... and in doing so, take away even obliterate it's derogatory meaning....?

It's not about reclaiming a word that was taken away years ago...
It's about RE-DEFINING a previously mis-re-defined word... (if there is such a thing...) just imagine THAT?!!

MIND.
BLOWN!!!

Back
Top Bottom