Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Devil's advocate

"πŸ‘....πŸ‘....πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘.... YIDS"

That is a very dark chant. If you were around when the nazi types were about, I can understand why that could be a very distressing thing to hear.

"How many 90 year olds attend football?" would probably be the retort.

There are going to be a few extremely controversial sentences typed below that have been wrapped using spoiler tags so as to protect from offence.

"You fucking manc cunt"
"You fucking pakie cunt"
"You fucking southern cunt"
"You fucking niggar cunt"

All four of those sentences refer to people from a specific geographical point yet two are classed as being racist, two are not.

Tbose that have a racial tag are connected to recent historical persecution.

Is it then fair to say that historically speaking, although without reference to geography, the female population was equally harshly persecuted. Well, in their case, persecution meant being burnt alive.

"You fucking witch cunt"

Is that sentence then, a racist sentence? It contains what appear to be the criteria which is used to classify racism, albeit lacking in geography. A group of people who face / faced persecution.

In writing the heading 'devil's advocate', is this entire text in some way conforming to the status quo?

Females were never exposed to the term in a derogatory manor. The term meant death.

What does strike the interest bone is, as with Tottenham fan's use of the term being discussed is seen as being a defense mechanism, those targeted from African origin have also taken the same cause of action.

People from the North or South of England seem to class these sentences as 'banter', however, neither sentences refer to those people as being persecuted. That is unless you rewind history. The Banastre Rebellion, for example, was born out of persecution for disaffected knights against the rise of the Earl of Lancaster. But where is the derogatory use of these terms?

In stark contrast, Asian referred derogatory terms have not been taken on and 'owned' to the same extent.

Maybe there is evidence to be found of persecution across all races from geographical points throughout history?

In our era of time, we seem to remember past history in view of persecution or the persecuted in what seems to be a very illogical fashion. So what about the very strong links to derogatory terminology?

Is it viewed as being derogatory saying someone is a 'fat cunt', 'tall cunt', 'ugly cunt'? Is it also a form of persecution using the terms above to address?

Are the terms mentioned in this text nothing more than words of identity?

300px-U_Wot_M8_Original.jpg

I see the club has published an official response to the recent consultation

More controversy is coming, like it or not, so I guess it makes sense they've published a strong pre-emptive statement like this.

Last edited:
I see the club has published an official response to the recent consultation

More controversy is coming, like it or not, so I guess it makes sense they've published a strong pre-emptive statement like this.
Yids forever.

#YidArmy

Seriously why don't we just sing Hava Nagila or Super Jews what's the big deal?
If you believe what we say Yids started as a defence of the Jewish support but has gained a lot of other meaning since then, as well as the Jewish defence its evolved to mean more.

I personally only loosely link it back to Jewish, and only really then because of the other clubs antisemitism. I'm proud of the heritage and consider all Spurs fans yids.

Chelsea: sing Auschwitz songs and make gas chamber noises

Baddiel: Stop using the word yid as you’re forcing them to be anti Semitic cunts
If they were only saying "Fucking Yids" etc then he may have a point... They don't.

There will be a real focus on <removed> on Sunday and a false equivalence between the two.

So out of 23,000 fans surveyed only 11% where Jewish. And when it comes down to it, they are the only numbers that can really comment on whether the term is deemed offensive or not.

The other 20k are entitled to their opinion for sure, and non Jews can certainly express their discomfort for their fellow Jewish fans / friends / family members. But at the end of the day, they are passing comment on others behalf.

The modern stance on discrimination would suggest that if 1 supporter in the ground (or hearing it carrying on the wind a mile away) is offended - then that is one too many.

But in practice. If you asked 23,000 people if they where offended by the word "turnip" you'd probably find at least one person who was.

There are bigger fish to go after in this particular murky, dank pond (you don't have to go far up the road) and we live at a time where racism and discrimination has been politicised and re-branded as nationalism. It is institutional at the highest level.

The idea that us normalising the word means they can't go after the Nazi salutes and hissing is like straightening a picture in a house where the roof has blown off.

Yid Army.

Last edited:
Everyone; Racial abuse against minorities are unacceptable

Everyone, also; Spurs fans identitying as a minority as a defence against decades of abuse is unacceptable

Even though I hate to say it, I think the writing will be on the wall soon.

Generally clubs now want a homogenised brand they can sell to the world.

I expect to see them clamping down on it soon

This is classic victim blaming from Baddiel and Co. Essentially when Chelsea chant anti semitic songs, it puts Baddiel in the role of aggressor. So instead of denigrating and separating himself from those fans he performs some mental gymnastics to make Spurs fans the problem. It's as if his mate raped a girl but then Baddiel comes out and says "She led him on, she was asking for it, did you see what she was wearing?"

So the solution is to ethnically cleanse Spurs of their Jewish connections. Bit ironic.

If you believe what we say Yids started as a defence of the Jewish support but has gained a lot of other meaning since then, as well as the Jewish defence its evolved to mean more.

I personally only loosely link it back to Jewish, and only really then because of the other clubs antisemitism. I'm proud of the heritage and consider all Spurs fans yids.
But that's you and your bubble granted one that's shared by thousands, including me.

But what if the bloke sat next to you at The Lane (was Jewish an ST for +25yrs) was deeply offended by it? Would you sing it knowing this? Would you use the term knowing this? If you did what does that make you?

The simple fact of the matter is by using it we offended some people, other Spurs fans that could be sat next to you.

Even though I hate to say it, I think the writing will be on the wall soon.

Generally clubs now want a homogenised brand they can sell to the world.

I expect to see them clamping down on it soon

"Come, this way Mr Rothstein, Mr Goldberg.... my office is down this hall. We can discuss the new NFL franchise"

"Why does it say "Up the Fucking Yids" on that toilet door?"

But that's you and your bubble granted one that's shared by thousands, including me.

But what if the bloke sat next to you at The Lane (was Jewish an ST for +25yrs) was deeply offended by it? Would you sing it knowing this? Would you use the term knowing this? If you did what does that make you?

The simple fact of the matter is by using it we offended some people, other Spurs fans that could be sat next to you.
The guy next to me can decide if they are offended. The same words can and do have different meanings and language is liquid, the meaning has changed.

Its a balancing act between speech and offending in the ground and one that we are on the right side of imo. People are offended by swearing / insults / shouting etc.

Its been covered loads, but, in short when Spurs fans use the term there is no anti-semitic intent.

The guy next to me can decide if they are offended. The same words can and do have different meanings and language is liquid, the meaning has changed.

Its a balancing act between speech and offending in the ground and one that we are on the right side of imo. People are offended by swearing / insults / shouting etc.

Its been covered loads, but, in short when Spurs fans use the term there is no anti-semitic intent.
I know all this mate....But...

But the bloke next to me, a Jew, is deeply, deeply offended. You are saying fuck it, let's make this jew suffer?

Back
Top Bottom