Joe Hart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gazzaniga doesn't give encouragement to the whole team and instructions to the attackers unlike Hart
To coin a phrase there is 'talking the talk' (which he does a lot) and 'walking the walk' which up to now he has not really been called upon to do. He has dealt with everything adequately so far but I still need convincing he can handle the white heat of battle against a true top side. Do that for me and he will have my total suppprt.

Don’t want to be too critical but can someone explain to me how Hart became second choice? Gazziniga has moments last season where I thought he might actually become first choice and now he is third...
Hart was a shrewd buy but he isn’t better than Gazziniga.
because, maybe, Hart has been more impressive in training, working harder, listening to the coaches, being a positive influence around the place, and generally performing better?

Gazzaniga - appearance stats

Gillingham League 2..... - 20 league (+2 in cups)
Southampton - PL........... - 21 league (+2 in cups)
Rayo Vellecano (16/17 loan)...- 32 league (+2 in cups)
( Spanish 2nd division)
Tottenham - PL..................- 22 league (+ 15 in cups) NB. 20+ matches when Lloris injured

So 43 appearances in PL (of which about 18 when Lloris injured last season) plus 52 in lower leagues plus one international match in 2018 over 9 seasons and he's aged 28.

Not sure its relevant or not, but most PL appearances were under Poch at Southampton and Spurs

Doesn't suggest he's going to be anything other than a GK in lower leagues or maybe a back up PL keeper..........but if the latter he will never push the no 1 keeper atm, just not experienced enough.

Probably needs a season or two of playing all the games for experience.

To coin a phrase there is 'talking the talk' (which he does a lot) and 'walking the walk' which up to now he has not really been called upon to do. He has dealt with everything adequately so far but I still need convincing he can handle the white heat of battle against a true top side. Do that for me and he will have my total suppprt.
You're a tough nut to crack mate, but crack you will.
🥜 🔨

Gazzaniga is a nobody. He's never done antyhing to suggest he's a no.1 and as a no.2 all he ever really did was wear a shirt and occupy a goal.

He's generally unlikely to (if you forget Chelsea last season) to make a total arse of himself, but he's just as unlikely to have a worldy of a performance.

I thought this guy was past it and not that good. He has impressed me. I know not against top opposition but he does what he does well, he's in charge if his area and has pretty good distribution. An astute signing.

I can't fault him so far and thought his distribution of the ball was excellent. Pep doubted his ability to play out from the back and he certainly seems to have worked on that area of his game. Jury still out for me but I'm definitely leaning towards a change of my original opinion of his signing.

And thing his issue at the end of his City time till now is motivation. He's clearly not the sweeper GK, which Pep requires. He tried to change his game and failed miserably, and being kicked out of the club, playing for unambitious teams. After all that time winning and challenging, it must be tough to stay motivated. Our project may have rekindled his motivation, when we have both ambition and a manager in Mourinho who rate Hart.

Last edited:

Tottenham goalkeeper Joe Hart says team-mate Harry Kane is virtually faultless.

Hart, 33, was part of the England squad when Kane was called up for the first time in 2015, and recognised the striker's ability then.

But he says his appreciation of the 27-year-old is greater now they are club-mates.

Kane has been involved in 13 goals already this season - more than any other player has managed in the first six games of a Premier League campaign.

"He has always had that ability," said Hart.

"I struggle to find a fault with Harry. He is absolutely brilliant. Every single pass, every single shot, every single decision.

"He is such a team player. His leadership is doing it, which is often more important than being vocal.

"We have seen how selfless he is. He is a special player and I love being in the same team as him."

Hart on choosing Tottenham
Hart joined Tottenham in the summer on a two-year deal after his Burnley contract expired. It was initially thought he would move to a club where he would be first choice but opted to join Spurs after talking to manager Jose Mourinho.

Hart: "I crave football. I realised I just love being at the top. I love being around a club where you play three games a week and if you don't win it is a big deal.

"I am not stupid. That opportunity was not going to come in a given number one slot. After working out what Jose wanted from his squad and what he thought I could bring to it, it matched what I thought.

"I haven't come to shake it up. I have come to make Tottenham better."

Hart on trusting Mourinho
After Mourinho was sacked by Manchester United, critics suggested his best days were behind him. However, Tottenham extended their unbeaten run to 10 matches by winning at Burnley on Monday - their best run since early 2018.

Hart: "Jose is very clever at how he works the media. He is a different guy in his own environment, with his own players. He asks you to give your best and show your quality. That is how I work.

"I don't claim to be the most talented guy in the world but I will give it everything.

"Trust works both ways. He definitely gives that and I enjoy working with him."

Hart on learning to win
Having been part of the Manchester City squad that grew from a mid-table side to Premier League winners in the space of six years, Hart knows what it takes to win. His current employers have not won a trophy since 2008.

Hart: "We are moving in the right direction. Jose inherited a good team and he has made some shrewd additions.

"There is a big difference between saying you want to win something and showing and believing and doing the right things to put yourself in the best position to win.

"Where you want to be is when all the finals are over and the Premier League is finished, everyone can look at each other and say we left nothing out there and threw everything at it."

I was definitely in the "why would he want to come to us as third choice keeper" camp and preferred Gazza (sue me for thinking like a girl!). However, from the above interview, looks like he signed for the right reasons and has the right attitude. Still not convinced if he is back to his best, but he does need to play to get back his confidence and sharpness. I'm happy that he gets that time in cup games.
Still love Gazza though, but for his own sake, he needs to move on and be first choice elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom