Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really?

He's a player, same age as Dav making as many mistakes as Dav, only saving grace is he cost a lot less.

Toby is slow, weak in the air and living off his first couple of years at the club.

That being said, I think our defenders look weaker due to the system that the hopefully soon to be unemployed Portugese "best coaching system n the world" genius is playing.

Well, all you are saying could be right.

But still, if I would have two options, that are exactly equal, yet one has been at the club for years and has only went worse over the time; other has arrived and got first chances - then I would not hesitate for a second before giving newbie the nod.

Basically you can get guaranteed awfulness or at least hope that he could improve in the future.

He was motm va liverpool until that mistake and he's been dropped while Dier and Sanchez keep playing like amateurs. Play him next to toby for a run of games it literally cannot get and shitter defensively than it is right now with those two at the back.

Has to start v Burnley

I know Burnley have physical forwards but Rodon played in the championship he's better suited to those type of forwards than anyone.

Anyone saying start Dier cuz he is tall. The guy doesn't try win headers anymore. Useless.

Is he injured or just out of favour?

I don't think either tbh.

He isn't injured as there's been no mention of it and I don't particularly think he's out of favour. I just think Mourinho believes Rodon could do with not being fed to lions. He's young and inexperienced at this level. He was thrown in against Chelsea, mistake nearly cost us a goal. He was thrown in against Liverpool, mistake cost us a goal.

I think Mourinho is actually being clever by not playing him in a defence that's clearly a bit unstable and has been struggling for months as a way of not putting pressure on him to be some kind of saviour. It could dent his confidence massively.

Personally, I'd have him be Diers replacement and sell Dier in the summer.

He isn't injured as there's been no mention of it and I don't particularly think he's out of favour. I just think Mourinho believes Rodon could do with not being fed to lions. He's young and inexperienced at this level. He was thrown in against Chelsea, mistake nearly cost us a goal. He was thrown in against Liverpool, mistake cost us a goal.

I think Mourinho is actually being clever by not playing him in a defence that's clearly a bit unstable and has been struggling for months as a way of not putting pressure on him to be some kind of saviour. It could dent his confidence massively.

That’s a fair call

My only concern is is that he is now 23yr olds.
Plenty of 23yr olds starting in the PL

I know he is new to the Premier league but the championship is the closest thing out there to the Premier league and he's very experienced in that. At this point he should be getting more gametime imo

I see no reason why he shouldn't be included in PL squads, at least on the bench. I think Dier has been very poor at times. Sanchez although good yesterday has been very poor several times and Toby not at his best. Rodon should have started more games.

I see no reason why he shouldn't be included in PL squads, at least on the bench. I think Dier has been very poor at times. Sanchez although good yesterday has been very poor several times and Toby not at his best. Rodon should have started more games.

I am not as high on Rodon as others, but I don't see why we don't play him so we can get a better idea of what we have with him.

It would be nice to know if he is more of a building block guy or a squad player. Its not guaranteed we could find that out in the last half of the season but we certainly could get a better idea by seeing him in games, especially when we aren't exactly brimming with top level CBs after Toby.

I think we’d of been better off saving the money and putting it towards a starting XI centre back this summer. He seemed like a panic buy and his lack of game time points towards this. Hopefully he comes good but we could of kept Vertonghen for an extra year, which at the moment looks like it would of been a better idea.

I think we’d of been better off saving the money and putting it towards a starting XI centre back this summer. He seemed like a panic buy and his lack of game time points towards this. Hopefully he comes good but we could of kept Vertonghen for an extra year, which at the moment looks like it would of been a better. I think we’d of been better off saving the money and putting it towards a starting XI centre back this summer. He seemed like a panic buy and his lack of game time points towards this. Hopefully he comes good but we could of kept Vertonghen for an extra year, which at the moment looks like it would of been a better idea.

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m by no means writing Joe off, I’m sure he’s going to be a fine player. However, currently he doesn’t look like an improvement on the rather middling cohort of centre halves we have.

We needed a top quality centre back... a Dias or VVD. Instead we spent 17m on yet another right sided CB who doesn’t improve us.

Would rather have kept the money and got the job done properly this summer.

Last edited:
My only concern is is that he is now 23yr olds.
Plenty of 23yr olds starting in the PL

I know he is new to the Premier league but the championship is the closest thing out there to the Premier league and he's very experienced in that. At this point he should be getting more gametime imo
How many 23 year old CB's are there? My guess is not many.

CB's have always taken longer to develop. You might see 23 year old wingers because they are super athletic and don't need experience. CB's need their brains more than mindless wingers.

How many 23 year old CB's are there? My guess is not many.

CB's have always taken longer to develop. You might see 23 year old wingers because they are super athletic and don't need experience. CB's need their brains more than mindless wingers.

Fofana, White, Dias, Magahales, Godfrey are some that come to mind.

I may have missed some others.

I think we’d of been better off saving the money and putting it towards a starting XI centre back this summer. He seemed like a panic buy and his lack of game time points towards this. Hopefully he comes good but we could of kept Vertonghen for an extra year, which at the moment looks like it would of been a better idea.
Vertonghen hasn't exactly set the world alight at Benfica.

I love Jan but his legs had gone and him moving to a smaller league to wind down makes all the sense in the world.

Back
Top Bottom