Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

13m was a snip for this guy last year. He's far from a top CB right now but looking forward to seeing how he grows with more top level experience. Definitely cost us not signing him in time for Europa registration, would have figured out a lot sooner that he's better than Dier/Sanchez.
We are investing 13m plus the amount of mistakes we are prepared to allow him. Much like how we invest in Rose and Walker.

Reasonably fast and reads the game well. Never stop talking. Reminds me of John Terry. I am looking forward to see a top top defender in 3 years time.

We have a number of players that work better in a back 3 than a back 4:

Rodon, Tanaganga, Davies as LCB, Doherty

Work fine in either: Toby, Reguilon- although Reguilon might be a bit better as a WB

Work better in a back 4: nobody

Flat out suck and don't work at all: Dier, Aurier, Sanchez

We probably need at least 2 new CBs and a new RB so we could change this and if we do get someone like Andersen that we have been heavily linked with then he doesn't work well in a back 3 especially with Toby already here and both suited for the middle spot.
Interested to know what the basis is for suggesting Rodon & Tanganga are better in a back 3? Thought Rodon was just as good in a back 4 the other day too.

Davies just because he's not a CB in a 2 and not a good attacking fullback I can accept, and Doherty being shit as aything other than a wingback.

Personally don't see a past it and never great anyway Davies and a poor Doherty as good justification for pushing 3 at the back. Rodon and Tanganga I personally think would benefit from building a good playing relationship with one of the new experienced top class CBs we deseprately need to purchase. Rodon ahead for me and Tanganga the understudy.

Last edited:
Interested to know what the basis is for suggesting Rodon & Tanganga are better in a back 3? Thought Rodon was just as good in a back 4 the other day too.

Davies just because he's not a CB in a 2 and not a good attacking fullback I can accept, and Doherty being shit as aything other than a wingback.

Presonally don't see a past it and never great anyway Davies and a poor Doherty as good justification for pushing 3 at the back. Rodon and Tanganga I personally think would benefit from building a good playing relationship with one of the new experienced top class CBs we deseprately need to purchase. Rodon ahead for me and Tanganga the understudy.
It’s because nobody trusts our full backs defensively.

As long as they are the options we have it is best to put Doherty and Reguilon where they can do what they are best at though.
Yeah, I take your point if we keep them in the squad. In my view they are absolute must upgrade positions. I hate the idea of basing our formation on the worst players in it with an entire transfer window and preseason ahead. I don't see them as being revelatory pushed slightly forward so it isn't an enticing prospect for me.

If we're going to spend zero, we may be forced to go 352/343 but I'm desperately holding out hope that we will at least make some playing squad changes and CBs and fullbacks are where we need to focus our efforts in my view.

Last edited:

Presonally don't see a past it and never great anyway Davies and a poor Doherty as good justification for pushing 3 at the back. Rodon and Tanganga I personally think would benefit from building a good playing relationship with one of the new experienced top class CBs we deseprately need to purchase. Rodon ahead for me and Tanganga the understudy.

Its more based on next season only, but I think that for Tanganga it might be the case going forward that the best role for him would be RCB in a back 3.

I think that for next season you could start one of them in a back 3, not ideal but you could get away with it. If we go to a back 4 I don't think either is good enough to start. If we are talking long term then yes I would probably move Rodon into the either category but I don't think he is good enough to be a starter in a back 4 next season. He might grow into during the season but certainly not to start.

Its more based on next season only, but I think that for Tanganga it might be the case going forward that the best role for him would be RCB in a back 3.

I think that for next season you could start one of them in a back 3, not ideal but you could get away with it. If we go to a back 4 I don't think either is good enough to start. If we are talking long term then yes I would probably move Rodon into the either category but I don't think he is good enough to be a starter in a back 4 next season. He might grow into during the season but certainly not to start.
I'm optimistic he'd perform well in a 2, if we buy a leader to go alongside, but yeah, I really see 2 high level CBs as must buys this summer, and agree with you that going into the season with either of these as first choice in a 2 as a very risky aproach, but same goes for a 3 tbh.

We simply cannot go into the season with the same flaws in the squad we have now just trying to shuffle the cards to get away with it. The formation can help make the best use of what we have but is no substitute for good players and we're not that far away if we sort our isses out at the back.

Last edited:
There are many examples of one very good CB making a substantial difference. When Toby arrived our goals conceded really went down and when Ledley played it was a massive difference. Does not matter what system you play a very good CB should be able to adapt to either. Therefore forget the Manager appointment and get the top CB target in. Then Rodon can play with him and we can get on and sell Sanchez ASAP.

There are many examples of one very good CB making a substantial difference. When Toby arrived our goals conceded really went down and when Ledley played it was a massive difference. Does not matter what system you play a very good CB should be able to adapt to either. Therefore forget the Manager appointment and get the top CB target in. Then Rodon can play with him and we can get on and sell Sanchez ASAP.
Yeah, it's part of what would make Laporte such an intriguing signing if we do deal Kane. I think Laporte and Rodon could be an excellent long term CB pair for us.

Yup Rodon's looking good in this tournament, a real leader for such a young chap and next season It looks like we might have a bit of a player. Another season out of Toby and another purchase and we should be sweet.

I'm hopeful rather than confident about JR.
Been OK-ish at the Euros and the experience won't hurt.
My worry is that people have such unrealistic expectations of Joe (a bit like Skippy). Youngsters need time and experience to fulfill their potential, and there's not a lot of patience about. As our transfer pot is so limited, we have to give anyone that is promoted to the first team a fair crack of the whip before assigning them to the bin because they make a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom