Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's one way of looking at it....
But I guess my point is that he more than held his own against Belgium... are they beneath 'our level'?

I sometimes wonder how International teams would do in the PL... and what clubs would be their equivalent...

Belgium are a stylish, well respected footballing nation, oozing with class, but for some reason, never quite delivering when it matters.
...often dubbed the 'Dark Horse' (a bit like Croatia) but who would easily be a Top 6 PL club, and most certainly have aspirations towards the Top 4 or better....

Is that not US??

Rodon is at his level... With us!

Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw stand out at International level, that's not a good example and that's not how you compare anyway, he's obviously not good enough for us otherwise he would have got more game time under 4 different managers, they can't all be wrong.

If you're not getting in the team over Sanchez then you have to question their ability.

I just don't get it with Rodon...
He's young, a full international, and more than ABLE back up for what we need...
So why doesn't Conte fancy him?
Attitude? Billy Bryn Big bollocks? Shit trainer.... What?

Conte likes him though

Especially his attitude playing/training with broken ribs etc

Maybe he’s better in a back four?

stevee stevee

Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw stand out at International level, that's not a good example and that's not how you compare anyway, he's obviously not good enough for us otherwise he would have got more game time under 4 different managers, they can't all be wrong.

If you're not getting in the team over Sanchez then you have to question their ability.
Maybe.... But he's clearly got SOMETHING about him...

Or is International Football so shit, it's really on a par with League 1...?

In which case, why does everyone make such a fuss about the World Cup every 4 years... When we could be watching Shrewsbury v Bolton??

In which case, why does everyone make such a fuss about the World Cup every 4 years... When we could be watching Shrewsbury v Bolton??

He probably has, not for us though. :thumbup:

Your arguements are wild, I didn't even say Intl football was shit so I don't know where you're going with that lol

He probably has, not for us though. :thumbup:

Your arguements are wild, I didn't even say Intl football was shit so I don't know where you're going with that lol
I didn't say you did....

But if he's good enough to play - and more than hold his own - against Belgium, a Country who have been #1 in the FIFA rankings, and yet somehow isn't good enough for US...
Then what does that say about International Football?

If he's good enough to play International Football against the best in the world, yet not good enough to play for us, that either means we're better than International Football, or we have an over inflated opinion of ourselves....

Or better still, we just keep him... 'cos he's half decent!

I didn't say you did....

But if he's good enough to play - and more than hold his own - against Belgium, a Country who have been #1 in the FIFA rankings, and yet somehow isn't good enough for US...
Then what does that say about International Football?

If he's good enough to play International Football against the best in the world, yet not good enough to play for us, that either means we're better than International Football, or we have an over inflated opinion of ourselves....

Or better still, we just keep him... 'cos he's half decent!

You're making a comparison which involves 2 entireley seperate situations/managers/setup/instructions etc... and saying it's purely down to International football, that's not how it works mate.

What it comes down to is Rodon is playing in a settled back 3 and he has been given specific instruction in the Wales team so he knows his job therefore he's always going to perform better. You give players a platform to play well and they will.

And it's nothing to do with having a over inflated opinion of ourselves, some players play better for their national teams and vice versa, it comes down to setup/instruction/tactics hence why Maguire looks settled for England, Pogba looks good for France yet there's 1000s of players who play well for their clubs yet freeze for their national team.

The question you should ask yourself is if 4 managers don't think he's up to par or worth putting any time in they why do you think he deserves more time with us? Unless you want us to play like Wales just to accomodate him which obviously isn't going to happen because our ambitions are higher than that.

How many players have looked great at International level but never amounted to much at club level.

You're making a comparison which involves 2 entireley seperate situations/managers/setup/instructions etc... and saying it's purely down to International football, that's not how it works mate.

What it comes down to is Rodon is playing in a settled back 3 and he has been given specific instruction in the Wales team so he knows his job therefore he's always going to perform better. You give players a platform to play well and they will.

And it's nothing to do with having a over inflated opinion of ourselves, some players play better for their national teams and vice versa, it comes down to setup/instruction/tactics hence why Maguire looks settled for England, Pogba looks good for France yet there's 1000s of players who play well for their clubs yet freeze for their national team.

The question you should ask yourself is if 4 managers don't think he's up to par or worth putting any time in they why do you think he deserves more time with us? Unless you want us to play like Wales just to accomodate him which obviously isn't going to happen because our ambitions are higher than that.
But don't WE play a back 3...?
How come Davies has thrived as the LEFT CB of a back 3...
I'm not saying Rodon is better than our first choice back 3, but he IS familiar (and has played) in that formation for his Country...

I'm merely pointing out that, as a young, back-up player, he has both International experience, AND familiarity with a back 3 set-up...

it SHOULD be the perfect scenario, but for reasons best known to others, it somehow isn't...
that was the crux of my original query

But don't WE play a back 3...?
How come Davies has thrived as the LEFT CB of a back 3...
I'm not saying Rodon is better than our first choice back 3, but he IS familiar (and has played) in that formation for his Country...

I'm merely pointing out that, as a young, back-up player, he has both International experience, AND familiarity with a back 3 set-up...

it SHOULD be the perfect scenario, but for reasons best known to others, it somehow isn't...
that was the crux of my original query

Do we play in exactly the same style as Wales?

Davies is obviously better than Rodon and he's left footed hence why he plays on the Left in a back 3.

Don't take it up with me, take it up with the man who's paid to make these decisions, he's the one who watches him in training and assesses him on a day to say basis.

Do we play in exactly the same style as Wales?

Davies is obviously better than Rodon and he's left footed hence why he plays on the Left in a back 3.

Don't take it up with me, take it up with the man who's paid to make these decisions, he's the one who watches him in training and assesses him on a day to say basis.
No, we don't play exactly the same way as Wales, but we do both play 3 CD...
I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it is a defensive formation that Rodon is not only familiar with, but thrives in at International level ...

I guess I'm just confused as to why a young, International, Central defender, familiar with a back 3, is being ushered out the door, in the hope we sign a better young, international central defender, familiar with playing in a back 3....

Maybe the problem is he doesn't see himself as a back up, and thinks he should be starting, (because of all those International Caps maybe?) ...whereas Conte sees him more as a back up, despite all those International Caps....!

I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it is a defensive formation that Rodon is not only familiar with, but thrives in at International level ...

I guess I'm just confused as to why a young, International, Central defender, familiar with a back 3, is being ushered out the door, in the hope we sign a better young, international central defender, familiar with playing in a back 3....

Maybe the problem is he doesn't see himself as a back up, and thinks he should be starting, (because of all those International Caps maybe?) ...whereas Conte sees him more as a back up, despite all those International Caps....!
Basically everyone who has managed him at Spurs hasn't had a high opinion of Rodon. I think he's just not good enough.

Don't big up his "international" status too much. He plays for Wales. There's a lot of footballers with Wales caps that don't belong anywhere near the upper PL.

Basically everyone who has managed him at Spurs hasn't had a high opinion of Rodon. I think he's just not good enough.

Don't big up his "international" status too much. He plays for Wales. There's a lot of footballers with Wales caps that don't belong anywhere near the upper PL.
Well he can just fuck off then....
Money grabbing wage thief fraud rat cunt!

He's obviously doing something wrong at club level, that he clearly puts right when playing for Wales... Maybe it's a Welsh thing... Maybe he's taken advice from Bale!!!!

ANYWAY, he looks like Joe Hart's & Dele's love child... So fuck him!

He's off my Christmas card list, that's for sure!

As I said before we don't play the same way as Wales, just because they play in a back 3 doesn't mean he'd just translate what he does over to us, is he good or agile enough to play in a Conte back 3 for example, Conte likes his CB's to carry the ball up the pitch and go forward, is he good enough doing that? He also like his CB's to play and pass under pressure, is he good enough to do that? There's much more to it than merely playing in a back 3.

Dude come on, he's 6th choice at Spurs, Sanchez and Tanganga got more game time than him.

Every manager we've had has deemed him not good enough, when are you going to admit the same?

As I said before we don't play the same way as Wales, just because they play in a back 3 doesn't mean he'd just translate what he does over to us, is he good or agile enough to play in a Conte back 3 for example, Conte likes his CB's to carry the ball up the pitch and go forward, is he good enough doing that? He also like his CB's to play and pass under pressure, is he good enough to do that? There's much more to it than merely playing in a back 3.

Dude come on, he's 6th choice at Spurs, Sanchez and Tanganga got more game time than him.

Every manager we've had has deemed him not good enough, when are you going to admit the same?

Must say; I'm still curious as to what it is they don't like about him.

Agreed.

Entirely possible that every Spurs manager since Mou has been wrong, but you've got to come to terms with it at some point.

Clearly the manager has a better insight into the player, and if he's that far down the pecking order he can't be all that.

He's also played a few games for us, and never really showed anything to get excited about. Not lke he's coming on late to make crucial boclsk and saves.

I'm just confused is all ....

I heard he LIVES for defending.... I just thought he'd come in useful occasionally...

Plus, I have a Welsh mate who absolutely raves about him, and can't understand why he isn't playing for Man City or Liverpool ... Let alone us!

Well he can just fuck off then....
Money grabbing wage thief fraud rat cunt!

He's obviously doing something wrong at club level, that he clearly puts right when playing for Wales... Maybe it's a Welsh thing... Maybe he's taken advice from Bale!!!!

ANYWAY, he looks like Joe Hart's & Dele's love child... So fuck him!

He's off my Christmas card list, that's for sure!
I don't know that he necessarily puts it right at Wales, either. They're just not a really good team. Aaron Ramsey is considered one of their best players, FFS.

Must say; I'm still curious as to what it is they don't like about him.

To me he's one of those players who looks good at defending with all those last ditch tackles but I don't think he anticipates danger quick enough and he's not that agile.

One of those players that would excel for a low block team but when you need to play football and take more defensive risks on the ball and play in more open spaces then he is lacking.

I think a loan is best for him if he’s not going to get more playing time this year. I honestly think he’s in Conte’s plans. He used him in the final minutes of games last year where defense was needed but without Europe we didn’t rotate much.

I would prefer keeping him as Davies and Diers back backup. If we sign another LCB then Davies will be backup and Rodon will backup Dier.

Back
Top Bottom