Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really, bale and reguillon aside.
You couldn't wait for us to sign those players specifically, because of the quality and talent that has lit up the clubs they came from...do me a favour, they are all 2nd rate at best, nobody else was interested in any of them.
I cannot believe you thought in pre season ...wow I cannot await to sign vinicius from benfica he is brilliant, or wow hojburg is my dream holding midfielder how did we snatch him away from Barcelona and bayern who were so desperate for him.......you mean you are hsppy to settle just because we actually bought some players after levy said we had no money. Let's not worry about how actually good any of them are, we are just happy to have some signings.......bloody hell this settle for any old crap is the reason we never win and never will, whilst we just accept 2nd and usually 3rd rate players over and over again.......if i am wrong we will start to win trophies and you can a have a go, but we both know that ain't happening any time soon...now you can come out with all the childish name calling but deep down you know its true, and thats really why you are annoyed at me.........the truth is painfull, especially with levy involved..

We had certain gaps in our squad, and our transfer window has done a fantastic job at filling those gaps. It's not about buying for the sake of buying, then you end up like Man United. It's about effective business.

1. RB was a big weakness, as Aurier was in terrible form last season, and had no back up. Doherty had been excellent at RWB for Wolves, scoring most goals out of any defender in the past 2 seasons. Very good buy.

2. LB was okay in terms of strength in depth, but Davies' quality was not good enough. Reguilon was voted La Liga's best LB. What a signing.

3. We did have a gap at DM, as Sissoko hasn't been great since he came back from injury. To be fair I can see why some may be disappointed with signing Hojbjerg, I do think Partey for example would have been the better pick. However he seemed to fit the profile we wanted, and we got a great price which freed up money to spend elsewhere.

4. Carlos Vinicius. You mocked this signing on the basis that no one was calling for his signing before the transfer window. That's frankly irrelevant. We needed a back up striker if Kane and Son get injured again, and obviously wouldn't pay £40M+ for that. Also, why would a star player want to be second choice?
Given that context, signing the top scorer in the Portuguese league is an intelligent decision.

5. Bale. A risk, but one that has a very high ceiling if it pays off.

I seem to recall he played for England whilst playing below the top division a well.
Wasn't he one of the many we had on our books and let go, only to resign them for decent money a few years later?
Great player was Mr Taylor.
EDIT
He had trials with us, but didn't make it.
Nice bloke as well, we were both in the Royal Orthopeadic hospital at the same time, he arranged for the General to bring some of the players to visit me.

We had certain gaps in our squad, and our transfer window has done a fantastic job at filling those gaps. It's not about buying for the sake of buying, then you end up like Man United. It's about effective business.

1. RB was a big weakness, as Aurier was in terrible form last season, and had no back up. Doherty had been excellent at RWB for Wolves, scoring most goals out of any defender in the past 2 seasons. Very good buy.

2. LB was okay in terms of strength in depth, but Davies' quality was not good enough. Reguilon was voted La Liga's best LB. What a signing.

3. We did have a gap at DM, as Sissoko hasn't been great since he came back from injury. To be fair I can see why some may be disappointed with signing Hojbjerg, I do think Partey for example would have been the better pick. However he seemed to fit the profile we wanted, and we got a great price which freed up money to spend elsewhere.

4. Carlos Vinicius. You mocked this signing on the basis that no one was calling for his signing before the transfer window. That's frankly irrelevant. We needed a back up striker if Kane and Son get injured again, and obviously wouldn't pay £40M+ for that. Also, why would a star player want to be second choice?
Given that context, signing the top scorer in the Portuguese league is an intelligent decision.

5. Bale. A risk, but one that has a very high ceiling if it pays off.

Couldn't agree more. Aurier has seemed more focused and it's not like we're lacking in squad depth and quality now. Sure a new CB would be the icing on the cake but January is only a few months away and we still have time for Rondon if there are legs to this.

In defence we have:

Sergio > Davies
Doherty > Aurier
Toby > Tanganga
Dier > Sanchez

We also have Rose and CCV as back-up and Sissoko who could do a stint (yes not ideal I know). We could do with a new leader in the back line but we're far from short.

Who: Hercules
When: 6th October
Where: SC

Hercules said:
Unless medical or something crazy transpires in next couple days (not literal). It is as close as you can get. I don’t use words like ‘nailed on/done’ etc. But you get my meaning. Media right about his injury record. Swans desperately need the money. And who have we just taken from Swansea boardroom? 😉

Winky faced prick

Partey cost 52m wants 250k a week he will be 31 when his 4 (+ 1) year contract runs down - total cost 100m with probably very little transfer value ....

Hojbjerg cost 20m wants 100k a week he will be 29 when his 5 year contract has one year left - total cost 40m with quite possibly a decent transfer value ....

Now if Partey was three times the player fair enough, but he isn't. Having watched a lot of Spanish football Partey is no question a very good player but he has a major flaw, his timing is sometimes just a bit off. He got booked 13 times in 29 games last season and that could easily have been twice as many if VAR had been used more ... my prediction is that EPL refs are going to come down on him hard, his shirt pulls, trips, late tackles just won't get missed playing for Woolwich.

The local Spanish contingent are all agreed that Atletico got the better of the deal, they reckon Atletico can replace him for a lot less than they sold him for ...

Watched a fair bit of this lad down in the champo especially when Hull played Swansea. He's good to good for the Championship. He's good in the air and good with the ball at his feet, and quick fkr a big lad, but I must be honest and say I never looked at him and thought your top 4 material but I suspected a Brighton or a Burnley would be in for him

Lot of Swansea fans rated him highly and in the 4-4 game last year said he was a big miss. And if our payed and trained scouts think he's got it I submit to superior knowledge.

He's probs coming for the future though to replace Toby not make an impact now like Skirnar would have

Until he was crippled by Souness in that league cup final
Shocking challenge

I was there for that. Me my old man, a mate & his dad. Had some scouse melt behind us and there had been some 'banter' going on. It escalated and after they equalised and he got lairy and ended up punching my 15 yr old mate (brave cunt picked on the youngest one among us). It was unfortunate for him that my old man used to be a close protection officer for a few PMs and foreign secretarys of the day & sparked him right out. Just deserts.

Another reason why i fucking hate them.

Last edited:
I was there for that. Me my old man, a mate & his dad. Had some scouse melt behind us and there had been some 'banter' going on. It escated and after they equalised and he got lairy and ended up punching my 15 yr old mate (brave cunt picked on the youngest one among us). It was unfortunate for him that my old man used to be a close protection officer for a few PMs and foreign secretarys of the day & sparked him right out. Just deserts.

Another reason why i fucking hate them.
I always enjoy a story with a happy ending

Watched a fair bit of this lad down in the champo especially when Hull played Swansea. He's good to good for the Championship. He's good in the air and good with the ball at his feet, and quick fkr a big lad, but I must be honest and say I never looked at him and thought your top 4 material but I suspected a Brighton or a Burnley would be in for him

Lot of Swansea fans rated him highly and in the 4-4 game last year said he was a big miss. And if our payed and trained scouts think he's got it I submit to superior knowledge.

He's probs coming for the future though to replace Toby not make an impact now like Skirnar would have

I agree, this is the player we would have bought next after Skriniar, not instead of. He looks good, will probably get a little bit of game time, but we missed out on Skriniar unfortunately. I still see our defence as a bit too weak to challenge for the title this season, which is a shame.

The window has still been great though and we will be back in for Skriniar or another target in the next couple of windows. Hopefully we get the right player in and Rodon will grow and be ready to step into Toby's shoes over the next couple of seasons.

Good shout Nige
Klinsmann left a year later. Popescu and Dumitrescu were never good enough. Dumitrescu played a grand total of 18 times for us. He wasn't even good enough for West Ham.Popescu managed a massive 23 games before he left. (Somewhat astonishingly, to Barca)
Closest we got to success that particular year was, as bunburyist bunburyist has pointed out was 7th in the league(our best for 5 years), and getting butt fucked by a poor Everton 4-1 in the cup semi. The same Everton that finished 15th.

Thats the year you've chosen to use. Honestly, how some of you fuckers seem to view the Sugar era as some kind of Golden age, I can't understand.
Not the year mate, he said transfer window. After that transfer window I was honestly very excited..this one not so much

Back
Top Bottom