Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't like Jose but I love spurs. If Jose is learning and improving and spurs are improving then fantastic. Maybe I was too eager to pull the trigger. But this spurs side has fallen behind West ham that is not acceptable. Hopefully we can turn this around and maybe win a trophy. If we win the europa Jose has earned his right to stay. But a league cup and a mid table finish is not a progression and we would have to part ways.
I don't think anyone would argue with that Paddy. :levylol:

It's just that the football is was so fucking turgid that only being top of the league can sugar the medicine. Don't give a fuck about the Spam or the Arse - just want some kind of enjoyment every 3/4 days.

That would have sounded better if I'd said every weekend.

I don't think anyone would argue with that Paddy. :levylol:

It's just that the football is was so fucking turgid that only being top of the league can sugar the medicine. Don't give a fuck about the Spam or the Arse - just want some kind of enjoyment every 3/4 days.

That would have sounded better if I'd said every weekend.
I’d argue with it. Don’t really understand why West Ham are suddenly who we are basing our season in. They’ve been on a great run recently and are rightly ahead of us. And Chelsea. And Liverpool. Doesn’t mean they are better than any of them, just that they’ve had a strong recent run.

I wouldn’t class any of our previous 25 seasons successful just because we’ve finished above those cunts, so I’m not classing this one as a disaster because we are six points behind them with 30 odd to play for.

I’d argue with it. Don’t really understand why West Ham are suddenly who we are basing our season in. They’ve been on a great run recently and are rightly ahead of us. And Chelsea. And Liverpool. Doesn’t mean they are better than any of them, just that they’ve had a strong recent run.

I wouldn’t class any of our previous 25 seasons successful just because we’ve finished above those cunts, so I’m not classing this one as a disaster because we are six points behind them with 30 odd to play for.
I don't think anyone is basing our season on where West Ham are today, or indeed where they have ever been. It's more as a counterpoint to us being lower in the league and playing like a bunch of strangers (this last week excused) compared to a pub team who seem to have read the same script as each other.

A big reason why WH is brought up in relation to our position is because the Jose fanbois favorite defenses of him when they aren't talking about fantasies that may, but won't, happen in the future is to cry about how bad our team is so poor little Jose can't get better results.

Well there is no way even those pathetic fanbois can try and claim that a WH team with a defense relying on Creswell-Dawson-Ogbonna is better than the talent we have so it is an easy way to counter the ridiculous notion that we are not good enough to compete for top 4.

Great result,nothing to do with the manager. Jamie Redknapp was correct before the match there are too many times we play with the hand brake on and that is totally on the manager.

I cannot believe the same people who are saying our squad is rubbish e celebrating it like Jose is a genius. This game was all the players. Jose does not deserve the credit for picking an inform Bale.

That's horseshit.

Great result,nothing to do with the manager. Jamie Redknapp was correct before the match there are too many times we play with the hand brake on and that is totally on the manager.

I cannot believe the same people who are saying our squad is rubbish e celebrating it like Jose is a genius. This game was all the players. Jose does not deserve the credit for picking an inform Bale.
Jose deserves credit because he did it. I hope he continues doing the obvious things to make the squad better, because winning is better than losing no matter who the manager is.

It doesn't change the fact that most of the excuses for our poor performances the past 3 months were shown to be completely inaccurate based on what we saw yesterday. It wasn't really about the squad or the defense - it was more about tactics and selection, both of which Jose is in complete control of.

Edit: Realized paddy spur paddy spur basically said this after I typed it. In any case, I'm not going to shit on Mourinho just for the sake of it. But I also think it's fair to be skeptical of him. I hope that he can continue in this direction as I think it is a better fit for the squad and will lead to more success for everyone.

Where as to the Jose fan boys;
Plays bad its a shit squad.
Plays well Jose is a genius

Most of the anti Jose posters were arguing that the squad was better than ninth. That seems correct
Most of the anti Jose posters Were asking for Toby to start. Proved correct
Most of the anti Jose posters Were asking for Bale and dele to start. Bale start made a big difference. So proved correct
Most of the anti Jose posters were saying spurs were playing a too defensive style that was putting to much pressure on our defences and was not working to the squads talents. This too seems correct.

If Jose started that side against West Ham we would be closer to the top 4.

I am delighted we won and I am delighted that Jose finally acknowledged what was plain to virtually everyone who watches spurs.

If he learns from his mistakes then fair play we can progress. But there were mistakes and he was facing the sack because of them. Hopefully a commitment to a more attacking spurs can rescue his reputation and Spurs can prosper. But to deny the Mourinho wardship was problematic is to be blind.
But this is simply a narrative that people like you have in your mind to try and justify yourselves. After all, were both Bale and Toby not on the pitch when we lost to Brighton?

Have you considered that Toby might not have what it takes to play 2x week and that Bale is simply getting into better shape and more mentally focused? You guys look at Bale, Toby and Dele, but ignore the importance of the return of both Reguilon and Aurier vs having to play Davies and Doherty? Everything should be taken in proper context

The reality is Mourinho has not changed (doubt he even can at this stage in his career). He is still the same 'Dinosaur' that likes to set up his team the same way and want them to play the same way. When he has the quality and type of players, it is effective (not necessarily to everyone's taste). We simply have a squad that is thin on quality and thus pay a high price for absences.

But this is simply a narrative that people like you have in your mind to try and justify yourselves. After all, were both Bale and Toby not on the pitch when we lost to Brighton?

Have you considered that Toby might not have what it takes to play 2x week and that Bale is simply getting into better shape and more mentally focused? You guys look at Bale, Toby and Dele, but ignore the importance of the return of both Reguilon and Aurier vs having to play Davies and Doherty? Everything should be taken in proper context

The reality is Mourinho has not changed (doubt he even can at this stage in his career). He is still the same 'Dinosaur' that likes to set up his team the same way and want them to play the same way. When he has the quality and type of players, it is effective (not necessarily to everyone's taste). We simply have a squad that is thin on quality and thus pay a high price for absences.
In response to your last paragraph, many of us feel as though Mourinho needs very talented squads to succeed. We are the 5th or 6th highest spenders in the league and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We will most likely never have the most pure-talented squad in the league. We need a manager that improves and develops players and makes the team greater than the sum of its parts. That is the only way we will regularly compete with the 4 teams that outspend us (3 of them significantly)

Many of us feel like Mourinho is not that type of manager.

In response to your last paragraph, many of us feel as though Mourinho needs very talented squads to succeed. We are the 5th or 6th highest spenders in the league and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We will most likely never have the most pure-talented squad in the league. We need a manager that improves and develops players and makes the team greater than the sum of its parts. That is the only way we will regularly compete with the 4 teams that outspend us (3 of them significantly)

Many of us feel like Mourinho is not that type of manager.
I think the notion of a manager making a player better is overrated as I believe the main factor is the player himself. Even then, significant improvement are seen with younger players and takes a longer time. There is only so much hard work can make up for in the face of superior talent.

Instead, I look at the top 4 clubs not just in terms of their expenses, but the quality of players they have acquired. Instead of throwing money at the problem, I think it's our scouting that needs to improve and maybe utilizing a larger loan system of younger players (similar to Chelsea.)

Any manager needs a quality squad to compete for titles and when you don't have the money, you need to make up for it in other areas. Don't think Mourinho would turn down Kane simply cos the club got him for 'free' nor will he see Sanchez a great CB cos of how much we paid.

Overpaying for lower quality players is what we cannot afford when we don't have the money to burn.

Back
Top Bottom