Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The crowning turd on top of the Shit Cake that has been Mourinho's tenure here will be west ham in the champions league next season while we sit at home watching Emmerdale

To be far to Jose, Moyes is doing it with talent like Noble, Dawson, Lingard and Antonio.

How can Jose be expected to compete with talent like that when all he has is bums like Kane, Son, Lloris and Ndombele?

I think that makes sense.
The amazon doc was right up maureens street. Basically the whole doc was about him in the end the way they edited it.
spam squad 0-2 at wolves where we held on for dear life for 1-1. No case for the defence their squad is no where near the level of ours but they seem to have some semblance of coaching and knowing what they are doing! This under Moyes! Whereas our super coach on £15M/yr shows no sign of any coaching. Most defensive park the bus coaches like big Sam, Pulis, warnock, dyche, etc at least make their teams hard to beat with good organisation regardless of the quality of player. I’m sure they would even make our defenders hard to beat. However the super coach master at defending built his whole career on basically giving up possession has made us look like utter shit. I swear and it has been said before he is basically an agent laughing all the way to the bank.
As for contract about Europe does that include qualifying for this new stupid competition?

You are being pedantic as that wasn’t my point about who took it but you are quite correct and I bow and scrape to your obviously better knowledge!!

You will probably also know that Beasant’s made history in that it was the first one ever saved in a Fa Cup final

Aldridge was substituted shortly afterwards

Being as it’s you no further action will be taken on this occasion so Le Clique and the WhatsApp group have both been stood down!

ps I bet your Clefoutis didn’t rise either!!
😉
Clefoutis is not something I've tried, but I've just made a delicious fruit loaf :)

Of course I knew that Beasant was the first goalie to save a penalty in an FA Cup final ;)

This period is so similar to AVB its crazy

1 one player saving us each game. AVB had Bale Jose has Kane.

2 half our players considered shit or not sure. Back under AVB we had big question marks over Dembele, Rose, Verts, Walker and Eriksen. Talk was to ship many of them and rebuild because they weren’t good enough. Now we look at Ndombele and Lo Celso and Regulion etc with the similar eyes, are they really good enough.

3 football was boring as mud, eye bleeding and an embarrassment to the name of the club.

4 fans disconnected with the club.

5 we didn’t look like we had any coaching to break down opposition teams. Only difference between Jose and AVB was AVB liked to keep the ball for no reason where as Jose likes to sit on top of the goal without the ball.

6 managers deflecting. AVB blaming the fans, Jose throwing players under the bus.

7 become a laughing stock team for other fans.

8 Most of the fans waiting and hoping for the manager to be booted.

This period is so similar to AVB its crazy

1 one player saving us each game. AVB had Bale Jose has Kane.

2 half our players considered shit or not sure. Back under AVB we had big question marks over Dembele, Rose, Verts, Walker and Eriksen. Talk was to ship many of them and rebuild because they weren’t good enough. Now we look at Ndombele and Lo Celso and Regulion etc with the same eyes.

3 football was boring as mud, eye bleeding and an embarrassment to the name of the club.

4 fans disconnected with the club.

5 we didn’t look like we had any coaching to break down opposition teams. Only difference between Jose and AVB was AVB liked to keep the ball for no reason where as Jose likes to sit on top of the goal without the ball.

6 managers deflecting. AVB blaming the fans, Jose throwing players under the bus.

7 become a laughing stock team for other fans.

8 Most of the fans waiting and hoping for the manager to be booted.
we ended that AVB season on 72 points I believe

We'll be lucky to get as close as 10 points behind that total this year

We do , we take the piss out of him for providing shit customer service.

I wasn't being aggressive. Sorry.

However I did mean it. Stop being a polite customer and brag about your loyalty. Start complaining if you're a member or ST holder.

Stop buying tickets. Stop buying merchandise. Stop clicking media bait links. Stop buying streaming services.

Use your voice on SoMe to loudly comment on the club channels and tell them exactly what you expect from them.

The Mourinho experience – but this time without the success en route

It was Jose Mourinho who mentioned deja vu, just before he contradicted himself by touching his crown and joking that “all these white hairs, they come with things I’m not used to seeing in football matches at this level”. That half-hearted attempt at humour, delivered through rigid-jawed frustration, probably needed qualifying. He keeps seeing his team make the same mistakes at present and the impression grows that he is stumped.

For a manager who is supposed to be elevating Tottenham Hotspur to the next level, that is not a good look.

Another opportunity to break into the top four had been spurned, with that dismal combination of wastefulness at one end and carelessness at the other denying Spurs their win at Newcastle. In truth, plenty of the visitors’ failings at St James’ Park were painfully familiar. They were passive for long periods, an invitation for struggling hosts to muster 22 shots, their joint-highest tally against any opponent this season and joint most since a game against relegation-doomed Huddersfield in February 2019. Newcastle finished with an expected goals (xG) total of 4.07 which, as an indication of how obliging the visitors had been, was damning.

It should be acknowledged that they did also react well to falling behind, rallying with a burst of quality that saw Harry Kane, that perennial saviour, scoring within a minute of Joelinton’s opener and adding a second soon afterwards to hint at the restoration of order. But then they lapsed into predictability once again. Where they surely had to capitalise on that turnaround, they instead fluffed their lines on the counter through a second period where they only ever hinted at control, and rarely offered up real solidity. They retreated, shrunk, and there was a certain inevitability to see them wilt at the last.

Joe Willock’s equaliser came from the hosts’ 17th shot from inside the penalty area, rammed in off the bar four minutes from time. Only Southampton and Brighton & Hove Albion have shed more points from winning positions than Tottenham’s 15 this term. That is reckless. Everyone, Mourinho included, had seen this tiresome script play out before far too often.

But what is new — and probably painful for plenty at the club to acknowledge, from the boardroom to the dug-out — is the sight of Jose Mourinho flummoxed. The sight of Jose Mourinho failing.

Because, whether fairly or not, that is what this season is threatening to become. A failure. Yes, there is a League Cup final still to be played which could yet see Spurs claim silverware for the first time in 13 years, albeit they will have to deflect and defeat English football’s dominant force of the moment, Manchester City, to achieve that success later this month. A trophy, even one sponsored by an energy drink, is not to be sniffed at. And, admittedly, Tottenham are fifth, not 15th, and could potentially still reclaim a place in the Champions League given how tight the scrap for a top-four finish is proving, for all that a failure to beat a side stalked by relegation fears hardly bodes well for imminent collisions with Manchester United and Everton.

In that context, a definitive judgement on progress should only be delivered at the end of the current season. But a sense of under-achievement and associated exasperation, heightened by this latest setback at St James’ Park, has long accompanied this team’s campaign. Dissatisfaction is rife. That much is inescapable.

Mourinho has always set himself apart. He has built his career on being exceptional, so to hear him calling to be treated like a mere mortal, as he did in an interview conducted with Canal Football Club in France last week, is incongruous. “Of course I have dreams with Spurs,” he said. “But first of all, I have a challenge to myself, which is to try to win a trophy with every club. Some guys think that it is an ego thing. It is not an ego thing. It is more than that. It is the way that I was raised, it is the way that I grew up… this is my nature.

“So I would love to do that, that is the challenge. But you need time, and it looks like for some reason the football world thinks everyone deserves time, but I never deserve time. I have to do it like this (clicks fingers).”

Well, that was the reason Spurs, beaten Champions League finalists the previous season, hired him in the first place. As naive as it sounds, he was supposed to be as close to a guarantee of immediate success as is possible. He was charged with taking a group who had come so close and kicking them on in double-quick time. The intensity of his methods and his edge — that fabled winning mentality — would transform Tottenham, just as they did Chelsea in the first phase of Roman Abramovich’s ownership and, again, in the middle of the last decade. And just as they did in his first season at Manchester United with their League Cup and Europa League triumphs in 2017.

The reality has been something far more underwhelming. If anything, the team have reverted even deeper to type: a side who kid you into believing they are in contention, only to flatter to deceive. The draw at St James’ Park just represented the latest missed opportunity. This group has failed to convince from the moment they topped the table back in the autumn. They can be exasperating to watch at times not least because they are surely capable of so much more than the occasional thrashing of an also-ran.

After all, there is talent aplenty in the squad. It is easy to fixate on Kane’s continued brilliance, but witness Tanguy Ndombele’s excellence in central midfield, whether it be in the subtlety of the pass – that reverse ball slipped inside Paul Dummett for the visitors’ second goal on Tyneside was sumptuous – or dynamic box-to-box energy. Or Giovani Lo Celso’s industrious distribution, burst of pace and — dare it be acknowledged? — streetwise spikiness, whether seeking out a free kick or buffeting an opponent off the ball. That combination in midfield promises much.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has added brawn, Lucas Moura has been excellent of late, while Son Heung-min, whose combination with Kane was untouchable for a while, is restored to fitness. Their attacking options are mouth-watering — after all, they can apparently afford to leave Gareth Bale, Harry Winks and Dele Alli, among others, on the bench. Throw in a World Cup-winning captain in goal, a talented young centre-half in Joe Rodon brimming with potential, and an attacking left-back in Sergio Reguilon who has taken the breath away at times this year and Spurs clearly have so much going for them.

Except there is also anxiety, slackness and inconsistency aplenty to undermine both collective and individual performances. It is mystifying to see them retreat into their shell not least because, defensively, they look horribly fragile — no opponent should be splayed apart quite so easily by this Newcastle side — with the vulnerability personified on Tyneside by Davison Sanchez’s rather slapdash display. The centre-half could do no right, for all that Mourinho preferred not to single anyone out for particular criticism.

“I saw things on the pitch, not in terms of attitude, but profile, vision, balance which belong to the top players… I didn’t see in every position.” The problem is that does not reflect well on him.

It would be too easy to dismiss all this as what happens to Mourinho teams after a period of time because, in truth, his sides have tended to hit the buffers after periods of success in the past. They burn brightly for a while, then fizzle out. “You only realise the pressure he puts everyone under when you’re out of it,” said a figure at Stamford Bridge who worked closely with Mourinho during that second stint in west London, a two-and-a-half-year spell that yielded the Premier League title before, ultimately, degenerating into a staggering relegation battle.

“The intensity is unbelievable, and there is a bit of hitting a wall because he is just so demanding, to a minute level, and there’s so much drama. There is no escaping the drama.

“Standards have to be so high, all the time, and he forges this siege mentality which designs his players’ behaviour to achieve the right results. Everything he does — and, as a result, you do — on a daily basis is part of a bigger game. He is calculated and strategic, and relentless. So you do end up feeling exhausted by it all.”

The drama in the north east centred upon the absence of Toby Alderweireld, omitted according to Mourinho because he and Serge Aurier had only returned to training after international duty on Saturday, although that version of events was apparently disputed by those close to the Belgian and pictures show him training with the squad on Thursday. There is always intrigue.

Likewise, in terms of approach, his demands remain the same. The standards have not dropped. He knows they have worked throughout his career, so he is never likely to ditch them at this stage. As if to prove the point, when asked about his current team’s inability to cling to a lead, a forte of previous sides, the Portuguese offered: “Same coach, different players.”

But what must nag at Spurs is the fear this team, stretched and currently falling short, could end up enduring all that intensity and grind without enjoying much success en route and, for Mourinho, that would represent anything but deja vu. Would the League Cup be enough? Would Europa League qualification suffice? Is this marriage of convenience — it has never felt more than that — really going to pay off?

The doubts grow with each passing week.

Lewis and Levy are putting the club up for sale this Summer and reckon it will sell for more with a high profile manager hence the Documentary and Jose fits the bill

Arabs won’t buy us but the Yanks will

You’re welcome

Back
Top Bottom