Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Week before a cup final...

Lets Go Yes GIF by Bubble Punk
It was a Hail Mary, nothing to lose….. he should have been sacked six weeks before the cup final to be fair.

Do you think the result would have been different if he was in charge?

On the face of it, it’s an idiotic decision but consider the context of a dressing room lost, him not speaking to players apart from a pre match briefing where they all ignore him anyway. Was a clusterfuck

Sacking Mourinho the week before a cup final was a good decision?

I can’t see into an alternate dimension so I can’t say for certain. But based on what I saw against Zagreb etc he had reached the end of the line. We played much better after Mourinho was sacked.

That he was sacked suggests to me that the mood within the club was so bad that they felt they had a better chance of winning without him than with him. Based on what I saw with my own eyes I think that’s probably true. We were minutes away from taking that final to extra time which is probably no worse than we’d have done under Mourinho. A record of winning finals is not enough to overcome the problems we had on and off the pitch.

I'm not saying it's anyone's fault. Just stating the facts of the matter, that's all.

We won two football matches against Championship sides, drew another game and won the subsequent penalty shoot-out to get to a final. It's not an incredible achievement, winning the Audi Cup was harder lool.
No, I know it’s the luck of the draw we could get a draw in say the F.A Cup and never leave London & avoid the obvious two bigger team and I know it beggars belief but win it, would we be worthy of winning it? I’d have it, City thumped Watford what 6-0 in the final farcical really but still an achievement, but yes I know what mean:thumbup:

I can’t see into an alternate dimension so I can’t say for certain. But based on what I saw against Zagreb etc he had reached the end of the line. We played much better after Mourinho was sacked.

That he was sacked suggests to me that the mood within the club was so bad that they felt they had a better chance of winning without him than with him. Based on what I saw with my own eyes I think that’s probably true. We were minutes away from taking that final to extra time which is probably no worse than we’d have done under Mourinho. A record of winning finals is not enough to overcome the problems we had on and off the pitch.

The optics were bad but we’d been smashed 3-0 by City (including the infamous Davinson face plant) a few weeks prior.

Jose lost the 2018 FA cup final to Conte, Guardiola’s record in finals is incredible so I don’t know where this narrative that we’d have definitely won comes from, apart from relying on His old out of date reputation.

Roma have finished 3rd, 6th, 5th, 7th over the last 4 seasons and are now currently 5th.

Their coaches in that time ? Di Francesco (sacked 3 times since) Ranieri (sacked twice since) and Fonseca, where we all know what happened. That’s the level of coach he is now.

No, I know it’s the luck of the draw we could get a draw in say the F.A Cup and never leave London & avoid the obvious two bigger team and I know it beggars belief but win it, would we be worthy of winning it? I’d have it, City thumped Watford what 6-0 in the final farcical really but still an achievement, but yes I know what mean:thumbup:
Sure but in the FA Cup, you have to play at least 6 games to get to the final, had he achieved this I'd not be turning my nose up for the achievement.

Last edited:
Still convinced it was Levy sacking him out of spite so he couldn't keep the trophy at every club he managed record going. Yes he needed to go but was one of the craziest decisions I've ever seen considering his trophy record.

Still convinced it was Levy sacking him out of spite so he couldn't keep the trophy at every club he managed record going. Yes he needed to go but was one of the craziest decisions I've ever seen considering his trophy record.

.....Even if it meant further fueling the bullshit accusations of "20 years of failure" aimed at his stewardship?

What did Levy have to feel so embittered & petty about?

The optics were bad but we’d been smashed 3-0 by City (including the infamous Davinson face plant) a few weeks prior.

Jose lost the 2018 FA cup final to Conte, Guardiola’s record in finals is incredible so I don’t know where this narrative that we’d have definitely won comes from, apart from relying on His old out of date reputation.

Roma have finished 3rd, 6th, 5th, 7th over the last 4 seasons and are now currently 5th.

Their coaches in that time ? Di Francesco (sacked 3 times since) Ranieri (sacked twice since) and Fonseca, where we all know what happened. That’s the level of coach he is now.
Mercedes fan

That or it was the fact we were losing or drawing almost every game, including to Croatian farmers when we were 2-0 up, and Jose was in full on blame everyone but himself mode, thus completely useless to the club.

Seriously, we were playing the worst football in the entire league and getting some of the worst results too. He deserved to be sacked, club probably thought the joy of being rid of him would pep up the players for a final. It's one of the better decisions our allergic to trophies chairman has ever made.

.....Even if it meant further fueling the bullshit accusations of "20 years of failure" aimed at his stewardship?

What did Levy have to feel so embittered & petty about?
Yes I honestly believe so. Everyone was calling for his head but he should have been given that game. Levy does look a tad sadist after all.

That or it was the fact we were losing or drawing almost every game, including to Croatian farmers when we were 2-0 up, and Jose was in full on blame everyone but himself mode, thus completely useless to the club.

Seriously, we were playing the worst football in the entire league and getting some of the worst results too. He deserved to be sacked, club probably thought the joy of being rid of him would pep up the players for a final. It's one of the better decisions our allergic to trophies chairman has ever made.
I know. I wanted him out. I just think he should have been given that game.

I know. I wanted him out. I just think he should have been given that game.

Meh. Maybe. Can't bring myself to care about it much, it was the carabao cup + I had zero faith before we sacked him so not gonna turn around and act like it would've changed things. Jose either has full support and his team is a rock or his team is in freefall and we were experiencing the latter.

Back
Top Bottom