Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WindyCOYS WindyCOYS with some solid words and ways to look at it:

Our exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Norwich, as well as Mourinho’s handling of the Tanguy Ndombele predicament this weekend are allowing those who don’t want him at the club to vent with some legitimacy.

The position I have arrived at is that, without Son Heung-min and Harry Kane, and with other constant injuries cropping up due to a necessary over-reliance on other players, this season is not going to get any better. So I am over it. I have mentally moved on and accepted that this is a bad football team for the rest of the season.

If you think Mourinho is not the man for Spurs – and that’s absolutely fine, of course – then using the rest of the season as a stick to beat Mourinho with as if you’re some kind of soothsayer seems fruitless. We are playing without Kane and Son and with the decomposing corpse of Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham Hotspur squad. It’s not like Mourinho is suddenly going to invent a new system which fixes these major problems and immediately turns around the mindsets of the players after a year of gradually declining self-belief and confidence. And, crucially, telling everyone else over and over just how badly you think Mourinho is doing is probably going to make you feel worse. And it’ll make everyone else you’re communicating with feel worse too.
So we aren't allowed to make any comment on any game from this point forward. I guess we can if we win but not if we lose?

Does this mean the end of the podcasts? What will be discussed pre and post games from this point forward? Are there still going to be articles posted on The Fighting Cock, if so will they be about knitting or flower arranging?

So we aren't allowed to make any comment on any game from this point forward. I guess we can if we win but not if we lose?

Does this mean the end of the podcasts? What will be discussed pre and post games from this point forward? Are there still going to be articles posted on The Fighting Cock, if so will they be about knitting or flower arranging?

You can say what you like, you know that big man, anyone can. I do think Windy makes a point though that nothing's going to really change until we get injuries back to why do we do it to ourselves when the inevitable will happen?

Debate away, your opinion that Jose is a busted flush is just as valid as mine that is aligned with the guy needing far more time than many of our fanbase are prepared to give him. Each to their own but if we expect fireworks right now we will just get irate about something that's bound to happen with how the teams looking.

Last edited:

Where did he say that? I'm not a fan of Windy, but what he says is true, we have 17 senior players fit and available at the moment, and most are being over used, we have been shit for around 18 months now, what he's saying is if you don't like Mourinho fair enough, but to use how we are performing right now to judge how good he is, guess we can come to the conclusion that Poch was also shit for his last 6 months

You can say what you like, you know that big man, anyone can. I do think Windy makes a point though that nothing's going to really change until we get injuries back to why do we do it to ourselves when the inevitable will happen?

Debate away, your opinion that Jose is a busted flush is just as valid a source mine that is aligned with the guy needing far more time than many of our fanbase are prepared to give him. Each to their own but if we expect fireworks right now we will just get irate about something that's bound to happen with how the teams looking.
You do get my post was facetious?

I don't nor have ever expected fireworks from Jose, my baseline expectations were arguably one of the lowest on here given what I thought of him pre-arrival. I am more than happy to see us lose most weeks if I can see signs of coherent football being played so low are my expectations. Seeing as we don't have an injury crisis then let's see some defending whilst we are parked in a low-block.

Our exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Norwich, as well as Mourinho’s handling of the Tanguy Ndombele predicament this weekend are allowing those who don’t want him at the club to vent with some legitimacy.

The position I have arrived at is that, without Son Heung-min and Harry Kane, and with other constant injuries cropping up due to a necessary over-reliance on other players, this season is not going to get any better. So I am over it. I have mentally moved on and accepted that this is a bad football team for the rest of the season.

If you think Mourinho is not the man for Spurs – and that’s absolutely fine, of course – then using the rest of the season as a stick to beat Mourinho with as if you’re some kind of soothsayer seems fruitless. We are playing without Kane and Son and with the decomposing corpse of Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham Hotspur squad. It’s not like Mourinho is suddenly going to invent a new system which fixes these major problems and immediately turns around the mindsets of the players after a year of gradually declining self-belief and confidence. And, crucially, telling everyone else over and over just how badly you think Mourinho is doing is probably going to make you feel worse. And it’ll make everyone else you’re communicating with feel worse too.

Spot on

Can't agree with that at all. This season should be used to implement a style of play with a set formation, instead he chops and changes every week and players don't know if they're coming or going. Klopp did this when he joined Liverpool mid season and they started the following season well and got into the top 4 after a period having been out of it. Poch also stuck with a singular formation and overall philosophy in his first season.

We'll be starting from zero in the Summer because Mourinho has wasted this season.

Where did he say that? I'm not a fan of Windy, but what he says is true, we have 17 senior players fit and available at the moment, and most are being over used, we have been shit for around 18 months now, what he's saying is if you don't like Mourinho fair enough, but to use how we are performing right now to judge how good he is, guess we can come to the conclusion that Poch was also shit for his last 6 months

That’s what I’ve been trying to say but he doesn’t want to know

I actually like Windy.

But it's ridiculous to expect fans not to look at how he's dealing with what he's got because Kane and Son are injured. We can't defend yet don't have any injury crisis amongst this group. If he gets us to defend as we did after the first 10mins against Liverpool on a consistent basis then surely he deserves credit for achieving that? But if he can't achieve that then is there not a problem other than missing offensive players?

All the talk out of the club is that the core of this team isn't being replaced, the board have said this, Jose has backed up this too several times now. So with this as a basis to look to next year doesn't that cause concern for discussion, seeing as people are nearing the conclusion that this team requires a total rebuild, only magnified further if we don't achieve CL qualification. What then? We can't talk about it because Jose's been dealt a poor hand?

I didn't want Jose, id have preferred Ancelotti if the idea was to bring in an experienced winner, but hey ho Levy makes the decisions that matter. So I decided to get right behind Jose and am prepared to wait until he gets our important injured players back, see who he buys in the summer and assess how we are performing next season after he has had a full pre season to gel a team together. After a full season let's see where we are and if any progress is being made

From now till the end of the season I don't have many expectations.

Sorry, I disagree and I am fully aware that he is calling me and others out.

My issue is not with the injuries, which would hamper any coach/manager.

I know Son and Kane are our best goal threats and occupy the defense.

My issue is with where we are headed. We are headed to an off-season where we are out of CL, paying a coach 15 mil a year, and are most likely going to bring in some hefty sums to appease the “special one”. The catch is that he will get bored, angry, and walk away, just like he has for the past decade. Is an FA cup worth the lack of long term planning? I don’t think so.
We're not out of the CL yet.

You don't hide your distain for Mourinho very well.

Nope. Never was a fan of the appointment and even if a trophy is ours, I still feel this is all about him.

One thing Poch did well was talk about the club, the badge, the ethos.

Mark my words, when it gets even tougher, he will be there, placing blame on everyone else but himself.

If this season is a write off, then I'd like to see the likes of Skipp, Sessegnon and Tanganga start regularly until the end of the season.

That is at least one of the rare positives that I can look forward to for the rest of the season.

If we lose on the weekend to United I'd also like to see this.

No sense in going for Europa. Commit to playing the young guys and hope that we reduce our fixture load by 10-12 games next season by missing out on Europa so we can focus on the Prem and the domestic Cups.

I actually like Windy.

But it's ridiculous to expect fans not to look at how he's dealing with what he's got because Kane and Son are injured. We can't defend yet don't have any injury crisis amongst this group. If he gets us to defend as we did after the first 10mins against Liverpool on a consistent basis then surely he deserves credit for achieving that? But if he can't achieve that then is there not a problem other than missing offensive players?

All the talk out of the club is that the core of this team isn't being replaced, the board have said this, Jose has backed up this too several times now. So with this as a basis to look to next year doesn't that cause concern for discussion, seeing as people are nearing the conclusion that this team requires a total rebuild, only magnified further if we don't achieve CL qualification. What then? We can't talk about it because Jose's been dealt a poor hand?
All I can say is we have one of the weakest defenses in the league, so many individual errors, Vorms can be blamed on Mourinho for choosing him, but others, no, consistently, all 3 our keepers has a clanger in them, our captain, the guy people should look at for inspiration, makes so many individual errors

Yes the attacking part isn't his fault, but can you blame the individual errors on Jose? Fuck sake Jose you shouldn't have palmed the ball right to Chris Woods feet...

You can work on them in training but still these errors continue maybe the players aren't up to it?

All I can say is we have one of the weakest defenses in the league, so many individual errors, Vorms can be blamed on Mourinho for choosing him, but others, no, consistently, all 3 our keepers has a clanger in them, our captain, the guy people should look at for inspiration, makes so many individual errors

Yes the attacking part isn't his fault, but can you blame the individual errors on Jose? Fuck sake Jose you shouldn't have palmed the ball right to Chris Woods feet...

You can work on them in training but still these errors continue maybe the players aren't up to it?
Lloris is one of the best 'keepers in the World mate, his errors are no worse than other 'keepers at his level, they all make mistakes the difference is the oppo haven't scored from them so the stat doesn't get trotted out in the media. Did you see Edesson at the weekend? He does this every week, but his errors we finally punished. Allisson also got lucky again with Milner bailing him out clearing the ball off the line. The issue is we concede far too many shots on our goal, Lloris, as a consequence has, is by far the busier 'keeper. He's the best shot-stopper in Europe both in actual shots faced and perhaps more importantly bassed on XG (quality of shots faced).

This is a tactical and team organisation issue. If you allow so many attacks against you it stands to reason that at some point an error will be committed. This isn't sustainable.

Tottenham-Hotspur-Premier-League-Trendlines-2.png

I personally think Jose needs a pre season, less injuries and a few new players, this season has been a shit show from the get go.
I'll support every match regardless of what happens but its quite testing at the moment.

Lloris is one of the best 'keepers in the World mate, his errors are no worse than other 'keepers at his level, they all make mistakes the difference is the oppo haven't scored from them so the stat doesn't get trotted out in the media. Did you see Edesson at the weekend? He does this every week, but his errors we finally punished. Allisson also got lucky again with Milner bailing him out clearing the ball off the line. The issue is we concede far too many shots on our goal, Lloris, as a consequence has, is by far the busier 'keeper. He's the best shot-stopper in Europe both in actual shots faced and perhaps more importantly bassed on XG (quality of shots faced).

This is a tactical and team organisation issue. If you allow so many attacks against you it stands to reason that at some point an error will be committed. This isn't sustainable.

Tottenham-Hotspur-Premier-League-Trendlines-2.png

That's an interesting groah if I am reading it right.

Under Poch we conceded more than we should have and under Jose is the opposite.

How many of our players who finished the game on the weekend start for Liverpool, City, Leicester, Chelsea or United right now?

Maybe Lo Celso in a few situations. Maybe Dele.

That's probably it.

Without Kane and Son, our squad is incredibly average.

Agree

The problem is we struggling against teams on the other end of the spectrum from Liverpool, City, etc.

Right now, I wouldn't have Dele on my knitting team.

Back
Top Bottom