Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could, probably will be the case and the next guy in will have the same remit and.......fail due to lack of investment etc then the next and next and we will rewind a decade ago with no consistency in the managers position and back to square one but if during each appointment the league or F.A cup was to appear I think then I’d think that would be in some way consolation but will they appear and be draped in blue and white ribbons or will Mr Levy have one aim and one aim only?
I think a lomg term vision and patience will be required. A firm belief in a project once again, this time with the board's backing to see it through. Poch contributed to his own downfall with his "if i win, i may leave" spiel. It gave the board a chance to line up the big name manager, to go with the new big stadiium and Amazon doc

No more excuses for Jose. He has a fully fit squad, plenty of time to develop his game plan, and all teams in the same situation with the time off.

No more excuses? The bloke had the 2nd best points tally in the league behind Liverpool from when he took over to when we started getting big injuries to big players. You do remember how appalling we were prior to him taking over don’t you? Blokes had one January transfer window

No more excuses? The bloke had the 2nd best points tally in the league behind Liverpool from when he took over to when we started getting big injuries to big players. You do remember how appalling we were prior to him taking over don’t you? Blokes had one January transfer window
One transfer window where he signed a player we really didn't need and ignored what we did need, he also failed in the FA cup and CL and had chances to get top 4 but fucked up against fat Frank twice.

He's yet to prove anything apart from we got a very short bounce out of him

I think a lomg term vision and patience will be required. A firm belief in a project once again, this time with the board's backing to see it through. Poch contributed to his own downfall with his "if i win, i may leave" spiel. It gave the board a chance to line up the big name manager, to go with the new big stadiium and Amazon doc
Yes but it would also fair to say that in modern football managers have a shelf life possibly like any other job a individual will get bored or have achieved a level of success that can’t be bettered Liverpool may find this to be the case in a season or two! With us we unfortunately are at a different level shouldn’t be but we are and are consistently chasing rather than being chased and some of our fan base won’t/aren’t patient enough so together with time on both sides ours and the clubs powers that be a manager of Tottenham Hotspur would have a certain amount pressure.......like most

One transfer window where he signed a player we really didn't need and ignored what we did need, he also failed in the FA cup and CL and had chances to get top 4 but fucked up against fat Frank twice.

I get so confused.... Is this not down to Levy being a #TightBaldCunt....?

Cool... Perhaps now he's got a full deck again, we can give him the chance and support to prove himself then...?

What player was that then? I forgot that we weren’t heavily linked with Willian Jose, Giroud and Piatek you’re right he totally ignored that much desired strikingly option at the time didn’t he.

Chelsea away, the FA Cup and Champions League? The games where we couldn’t rely on a genuine attack right? Yeah let’s blame Jose for that one. Narrowing what you’re saying down we are basically saying Jose has had enough chances with no more excuses because we lost to Chelsea in N17 in 2019 right?

What player was that then? I forgot that we weren’t heavily linked with Willian Jose, Giroud and Piatek you’re right he totally ignored that much desired strikingly option at the time didn’t he.

Chelsea away, the FA Cup and Champions League? The games where we couldn’t rely on a genuine attack right? Yeah let’s blame Jose for that one. Narrowing what you’re saying down we are basically saying Jose has had enough chances with no more excuses because we lost to Chelsea in N17 in 2019 right?

We had a better attack than the opposition in the FA Cup. We also had a better midfield and a better defence. Which kinda leaves you questioning the manager

We had a better attack than the opposition in the FA Cup. We also had a better midfield and a better defence. Which kinda leaves you questioning the manager
  • 13 Vorm
  • 24 Aurier
  • 6 D Sánchez
  • 15 Dier
  • 5 Vertonghen
  • 29 Skipp
  • 8 Winks
  • 27 Lucas Moura
  • 18 Lo Celso
  • 23 Bergwijn
  • 20 Alli
7/11 (see underlined) of those are widely slated for being shit and not good enough..... 8 if you count Dele's many detractors.

If one buys into the idea that the manager is shit too then it does make you wonder why anyone would expect us to win, let lone sustain the impressive pre-injuries points tally from the first half of Jose's tenure....

Last edited:
Although he did spend the whole of January virtually on his knees begging for a striker.
I don't think we should be blaming him for us failing to land one.

Last edited:
So you want top 4 so that we can get CL football but you'd be happy winning the Europa League?

Well since the two don't tie in with each other, you usual arguing just for the sake of looking smart is rather dumb.

So decide which competition you want to be in and decide if you'd be happy with us in massive unworkable debt to win trophies that the big boys dont care so much about.

Didn't Jose take Man Ure from FA cup winners to Carabou cup winners? Is that a good thing?
You do realise that winning the EL gets you CL the following season?

• 13 Vorm
  • 24 Aurier
  • 6 D Sánchez
  • 15 Dier
  • 5 Vertonghen
  • 29 Skipp
  • 8 Winks
  • 27 Lucas Moura
  • 18 Lo Celso
  • 23 Bergwijn
  • 20 Alli
7/11 (see underlined) of those are widely slated for being shit and not good enough..... 8 if you count Dele's many detractors.

If one buys into the idea that the manager is shit too then it does make you wonder why anyone would expect us to win, let lone sustain the impressive pre-injuries points tally from the first half of Jose's tenure....
Because it's fucking Norwich. They're the worst team in the league. Our team could be better, but it's not Championship level. It's also Mourinho who for instance inexplicably decided to give the third-choice keeper a run-out

In pretty much every interview he gave, before and after the window closed, he bemoaned our lack of striking options.

I think he did.
Well, we've had this discussion before. I asked you to provide evidence/quotes from during the transfer window where he was "begging", "pleading" etc.

The best you could come up with was an article where Jose was asked if he wanted to buy a striker. His answer :
"If its possible, yes. If not, no"
Hardly "on his knees"

As usual you ignore his other quotes, such as where he says that it's nobody's fault and he wants somebody who can challenge Kane or play alongside him, not a make weight or back up, but it wasn't possible in January.

You also ignore the fact that teams with more spending power than us and, arguably, more attractive teams were also after a striker and were unable to get one.

But don't mind me, you keep repeating your "facts".

Well, we've had this discussion before. I asked you to provide evidence/quotes from during the transfer window where he was "begging", "pleading" etc.

The best you could come up with was an article where Jose was asked if he wanted to buy a striker. His answer :
"If its possible, yes. If not, no"
Hardly "on his knees"

As usual you ignore his other quotes, such as where he says that it's nobody's fault and he wants somebody who can challenge Kane or play alongside him, not a make weight or back up, but it wasn't possible in January.

You also ignore the fact that teams with more spending power than us and, arguably, more attractive teams were also after a striker and were unable to get one.

Well, he was literally just in the door. He was hardly going to start calling Levy out in the media already was he?
If you think that Mourinho was happy with the fact the club signed Bergwijn and Gedson, literally the two positions we least needed to strengthen, instead of a striker, then that is some astonishing delusion on your part.

Also, you mention other big clubs were also in for strikers. The only other club that needed one as badly as us was United, and they managed to sign one on deadline day.

Well, he was literally just in the door. He was hardly going to start calling Levy out in the media already was he?
If you think that Mourinho was happy with the fact the club signed Bergwijn and Gedson, literally the two positions we least needed to strengthen, instead of a striker, then that is some astonishing delusion on your part.

Also, you mention other big clubs were also in for strikers. The only other club that needed one as badly as us was United, and they managed to sign one on deadline day.
United?????
They got a Chinese league reject, don't tell me that's the type of signing you want.
There were many teams after a striker.

It amazes me that people believe that Levy would sanction signing midfielder after midfielder and then tell Jose that he can't have a striker. Absolutely ridiculous and the height of "delusion".

Jose is a "yes man". Righto.
He knew what our transfer policy and budget was when he joined. As you said he'd literally just joined, so why would he be unhappy.

He thought we could manage with Son and Lucas filling in for Kane. It was just unfortunate that Son got injured after the TW closed.

At least we can all agree the person claiming so was taking shit.

You also ignore the fact that we were the only major team facing half a season without one fit striker.

Here's just a few quotes from Jose 3 weeks before the transfer window slammed shut in his face. And there were many more in the subsequent weeks.

"There is not a striker in the squad. We have only one, and he is not fit"

Asked why Son is not a striker

"Because he isnt! Danny Rose can play right wing, but he is a left back!!
Its as simple as that
Davinson Sanchez can play striker, but he's a central defender !

A striker, what I call a No9, a target man, Son is not!

Some teams have 4 strikers

Liverpool needed a goalkeeper. Did they go to an old goalkeeper? Did they go to a young goalkeeper? No. They went for one of the 3 best goalkeepers in the world. Boom!

Now, we all know how things panned out.

He didn't get a striker, and within weeks we were eliminated from the Champions League by Leipzig. Probably the most favourable team we could have drawn.

Eliminated from the FA cup, at home, by Norwich. Bottom of the league Norwich.

And pretty much eliminated from the top 4 race for the first time in 5 years.

Now, I get your determination to defend the indefensible,. And even though I don't understand it, thats your prerogative. but please allow me and others to say things as we see it.

Jose spent the whole of January begging, pleading for a striker. And, much like his predecessor, his pleas fell on deaf ears.

And as well as Jose it's us, the fans, who have suffered the disappointing consequences.

Last edited:
Jose spent the whole of January begging, pleading for a striker. And, much like his predecessor, his pleas fell on deaf ears.
So what you're saying is that Levy agreed to spend over £130m on midfielders but told both Jose and Poch "You can't have a striker".

Can you explain exactly how that is even remotely plausible?

Back
Top Bottom