Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss the latest matches, our players and any transfer news surrounding Spurs. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts. You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Do you accept Jose Mourinho as your saviour?

• Yes

Votes: 326 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 172 34.5%

• Total voters
Are we really now pretending Mourinho's sides don't play safety first, pragmatic football? There may be an argument to have about dull football v success if results improve but lets not rewrite his managerial history. I remember similar arguments when Graham came that he would improve the defence before working on the attack. Funnily enough he forgot about the latter.
To be fair Mourinho has coached far more exciting/attacking teams than George Graham ever did. Spurs is a good project for him - he already has many of the kind of attacking players he likes - a top number 9, fast & direct wide forwards. Players better suited to the way he wants to attack than those he had at Utd I'd say.

I'm optimistic performances will improve if we keep key players fit. Yes he likes a solid defense first, and yes he likes quick counter attacks. And he doesn't prioritise possession like, say, Pep or even Poch. But this style is probably a more realistic model for success for a club like Spurs, who still can't compete at the very top of the transfer market. I don't think he's as defensive a coach as Simeone at Athletico Madrid, but Athletico face similar problems to us, in that they can't compete financially with their top two. So I'd take a bit of pragmatism if it meant success.

Last edited:
Comment
To be fair Mourinho has coached far more exciting/attacking teams than George Graham ever did. Spurs is a good project for him - he already has many of the kind of attacking players he likes - a top number 9, fast & direct wide forwards. Players better suited to the way he wants to attack than those he had at Utd I'd say.

I'm optimistic performances will improve if we keep key players fit. Yes he likes a solid defense first, and yes he likes quick counter attacks. And he doesn't prioritise possession like, say, Pep or even Poch. But this style is probably a more realistic model for success for a club like Spurs, who still can't compete at the very top of the transfer market. I don't think he's as defensive a coach as Simeone at Athletico Madrid, but Athletico face similar problems to us, in that they can't compete financially with their top two. So I'd take a bit of pragmatism if it meant success.
As i say if it means success there is a duscussion to have re pragmatic football v success. If results dont improve we're left with dull football and upper mid table mediocrity but we'll see. I disagree on Graham, his earlier Woolwich sides were very similar to Mourinho's, a number 9 in Alan Smith, 2 quicker wide players whether that was Merson, Limpar etc but like Mourinho his sides got more safety first season on season.

Comment
Get this fucking cunt out! He's fucking shit. He's a fucking has been.

What are his excuses today? He has ALL his players available to him. Sheffield Utd couldn't even name a full bench because they have players out.

Nearly 70% possession and our 2nd shot on fucking target was Kane's goal in 89th min!

But, but he's a winner! Fuck Off!!

Comment
Get this fucking cunt out! He's fucking shit. He's a fucking has been.

What are his excuses today? He has ALL his players available to him. Sheffield Utd couldn't even name a full bench because they have players out.

Nearly 70% possession and our 2nd shot on fucking target was Kane's goal in 89th min!

But, but he's a winner! Fuck Off!!

You liked the first half though.

Comment
Honestly, I’m still in shock that Levy sacked Poch, let alone hired this t*sser. The team was mentally drained after getting to, then losing, the Champs League final. If Poch has been left in charge, everyone would have eventually come down from all that stuff, then kicked on during the 2nd half of the season.

Instead, we have this poisonous manager whom the players are obviously not happy with, and are already not playing for (Not even Son is smiling anymore!), and Poch has admitted to wanting to come back to us, a club that’s treated him like dog sh*t. Mourinho gets paid twice as much as Poch did. TWICE AS MUCH!

Sack Mourinho by the end of the season, and get Poch back, if he’s serious about wanting to come back (I genuinely think he is).

Comment
We can't defend
We can't break teams down

What are his tactics? Listen I know the team didn't play well but this group of players isnt utter shit , he's gotta do better.

Comment
Top Bottom