Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Igahlo scored 4 goals against vastly inferior opposition IIRC. 2 in the FA Cup and 2 in the Europa league.
He hasn't scored in the PL, indeed he's not considered good enough to start for them in the league.
A panic buy, or rather loan, exactly the thing that Jose said he didn't want.
Yeah. And those 2 goals he scored for them in the FA Cup would have been handy for us when we were dumped out by fucking Norwich.

The main issue here is we should have spent the 20-30 million we spent on Bergwijn (a classic spreadsheet signing in a position we didn’t need) on more pressing areas that needed attention. Namely, a back up striker.

Maybe Jose didn’t buy a striker in January as he knew the season would end prematurely and by the time it restarted again Kane and Son would be back fit...... :mourbringit:

Of course he didn't use the words I'm begging you Daniel. Of course he wasnt on his knees in the literal sense.

:mourhandlaugh:

This is childish stuff, stevee, and you know it.

His constant bemoaning of our lack of striking options, in virtually every pre and post match interview, was, in my opinion, a desparate plea to his chairman. Who, true to form, failed him.

But you think spending money on midfielders proves otherwise.

Fair enough. We'll leave it at that

We definitely failed in not getting one in but we tried and tried. There was even the last seconds bid for that Israeli striker when Ighalo picked Man U ahead of us. I just don’t think the quality was there for the money we wanted to spend. There wasn’t a single striker we were linked with that was enticing. Sure if we had £40/50 million burning a hole in our pockets we could of got one, but we didn’t.

It is pointless looking back now anyway. What the club need to do now, despite the market is deliver a player for each of the positions Mourinho wants us strengthened in. Let’s hope we scout properly and do our homework on players. It’s not going to be easy but if Levy doesn’t deliver the players for Mourinho in the next transfer window, especially if we finish this season in good form, well, we all know what is likely to happen.

No what I said previously that no one will be prepared to play second fiddle to Kane, I think that good competition would be good for him and the club.
If Jose is to push on then he needs good tools at his disposal, although now there is no money about this will make it hard to do.
If somebody says they are happy to play second fiddle you probably wouldn't want them because they lack ambition.

Ok, maybe I read this wrong?

The way I read this is that BOTH Poch AND José were looking for a striker and their "pleas fell on deaf ears" meaning that Levy refused or ignored their requests to buy a striker.
Maybe you can clarify if I've misunderstood?

As for quotes, how about this one from AFTER the window had shut.

“I cannot hide. If I say it’s easy to play three competitions without a striker, I’m going to lie. I cannot lie. But if it’s not possible, it’s not possible. For me the great thing is that we’re all together on this in the club. There’s nobody to blame. We don’t want a striker to just help us now. We want a striker to be good for our future, possibly to play with Harry Kane together in the future. And with the difficulties of the market, it was very, very difficult to find [one].”

Note the things he actually says :
I cannot lie
Nobody to blame
We don't want a striker to just help us now
Play with Harry in the future
Difficulties of the market.

It's funny how you believe all of the quotes that suits your agenda but you don't believe this one.

I know we've gone through this before but as you keep repeating your "facts", I'll keep repeating my question :

Can you provide the quotes (any qoute) where Jose says he was "desperate/begging/pleading" for a striker?

Also why is it that the other clubs looking for a striker in January failed to get one?
Is that Levy's fault too?

Caveat :
Ighalo don't count, a player only good enough to be a backup, something Jose explicitly said he didn't want.
Dude we've needed a good 2nd striker for years , a great defensive central midfielder , two excellent fullbacks, a game changer , know central defenders and nothing gets delivered but poor inadequate decisions .
Your too cool a dude to be a brainfart fuckwit like Mr A , who's constant celebration of no achievement gives him a self imploding hard on.
Brother that train ain't rolling.

Dude we've needed a good 2nd striker for years , a great defensive central midfielder , two excellent fullbacks, a game changer , know central defenders and nothing gets delivered but poor inadequate decisions .
Your too cool a dude to be a brainfart fuckwit like Mr A , who's constant celebration of no achievement gives him a self imploding hard on.
Brother that train ain't rolling.

Show some balls and tag me if you intend bad mouthing me, you inbred hillbilly fuck.

We could do with some young player as backup who hopefully will get better and will have no expectations on starting like when Kane broke through although he was not actually that young when he got his chance. Trying to think of names, there is a player that sounds like a bird now what is his name Parrot. Too young? How old was Rashford or Rooney when they started playing?

Show some balls and tag me if you intend bad mouthing me, you inbred hillbilly fuck.
Hey mate. Why the need for such abuse all the time. 🤬

And lets not forget, ;, you started crying when I tagged you last week. 😫

A little less of the hypocrisy, eh?

:dierpochhug:

Last edited:
If somebody says they are happy to play second fiddle you probably wouldn't want them because they lack ambition.
Any club with any degree of ambition should have an additional striker of decent quality, the fact that the club has struggled to recruit effectively in this area for a number of years is staggering.
The covid situation has now made it harder with lack of funds, I'm expecting the position not to be addressed, but if it does then it is likely to end up being an out of contract mid thirties back up.

For what its worth, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Woolwich have all been pursuing strikers for the previous 3 transfer windows. Agents are well aware and have been trying to secure big deals for some very average young players and for some very 'past it' players.

United, with all their $$$ ended up with a relatively poor player; on loan from the Chinese league.

There are very few premium strikers available right now, and if they were any good - they wouldn't be joining Spurs.

If we have so desperately needed a striker for so long, the blame falls on our coaches. We have the best training facilities in the world - we should be producing players; not buying them.

Any club with any degree of ambition should have an additional striker of decent quality, the fact that the club has struggled to recruit effectively in this area for a number of years is staggering.
The covid situation has now made it harder with lack of funds, I'm expecting the position not to be addressed, but if it does then it is likely to end up being an out of contract mid thirties back up.
It used to be a given for us to have several strikers who all thought they were the best player at the club ...

Keane/Defoe/Kanoute/Mido
Keane/Berbatov/Defoe/Mido
Defoe/Keane/Pavlyuchenko/Bent
Defoe/Crouch/Pavlyuchenko

We played two upfront then though
True, but we normally had "a pair and a spare". The idea we somehow don't need quality depth in the squad is very recent.

Crooks/Archibald/Falco
Sheringham/Armstrong/Iversen

Even when we played one up front like 1987 with Clive Allen we still had Nico Claesen at the club, and when Lineker was playing as a lone striker we had Paul Walsh.

Last edited:
There are very few premium strikers available right now, and if they were any good - they wouldn't be joining Spurs.
Lets be honest. Very few premium players in any position are ever available. It's up to the ambitious club to go out and get them. It's how the transfer market has worked for the last 60 years or so.
And if, as you say, decent players would not join Spurs, surely that's a damning indictment for one of the wealthiest clubs on the planet!

Lets be honest. Very few premium players in any position are ever available. It's up to the ambitious club to go out and get them. It's how the transfer market has worked for the last 60 years or so.
And if, as you say, decent players would not join Spurs, surely that's a damning indictment for one of the wealthiest clubs on the planet!
Apologies mate for my previous answer to you. You're right, it was a childish attempt at point scoring. All I can say is that I was tired and pissed off l
Yeah. And those 2 goals he scored for them in the FA Cup would have been handy for us when we were dumped out by fucking Norwich.

The main issue here is we should have spent the 20-30 million we spent on Bergwijn (a classic spreadsheet signing in a position we didn’t need) on more pressing areas that needed attention. Namely, a back up striker.
Your second paragraph I agree with 100 %.
We've spent over £130m on players during the last two TWs and all we've bought is midfielders. When everybody knows we've desperately needed a DM for the last 2-3 years, new CBs and FBs. (needed more than a backup striker IMO)

Who that is down to, I don't know.

Of course he didn't use the words I'm begging you Daniel. Of course he wasnt on his knees in the literal sense.

:mourhandlaugh:

This is childish stuff, stevee, and you know it.

His constant bemoaning of our lack of striking options, in virtually every pre and post match interview, was, in my opinion, a desparate plea to his chairman. Who, true to form, failed him.

But you think spending money on midfielders proves otherwise.

Fair enough. We'll leave it at that
Apologies mate, my previous answer to you was a childish attempt at point scoring. I was tired and pissed off last night. Not at you but in general.
So, I'm going to be totally genuine here, no games, no point scoring and no trying to be funny and I would appreciate if you (and others) answer in the same way. I know you have previously, just saying is all.

Of course Jose didn't use those words but the fact remains other teams with more spending power and, arguably, more attractive were also unable to get a striker. Saying that it's Levy's fault we didn't doesn't make sense and I'll explain why:

Our recruitment process has been a joke for a number of years. Who that is down to is debatable IMO. Yes Levy as CEO is ultimately responsible but we haven't had a DOF for a while now. I don't know who's "decision" that was. But I do have a number of questions that I honestly don't know the answer to, maybe someone on here does:

Did Levy agree to what Poch wanted in regard to a DOF ?

If so, is that still Levy's fault or should he be given credit for doing what the manager wanted, even if in hindsight it was a bad decision ?

How does our recruitment process work. Obviously we have scouts who have been given parameters to work under, such as age, sell on value, price and wages. Obviously some on here just shout "spend more money" but that's not going to happen under Levy. So how does it actually work ?

A scout identifies a player and submits a report to this "committee" we keep hearing about. ?
The player is discussed and Levy, the same as any chairman, has the final say regarding costs. ?
The manager at the time (Poch or Jose) then agrees or disagrees on signing the player ?

And this is really my issue;
If the above is true (or somewhere near the truth) Why do we keep buying fucking midfielders when everyone knows we've been crying out for a DM, CBs, FBs and yes another striker for the last two windows.
Whose fault is it really ?

Have the scouts not identified a striker, within the parameters set ?
If so they should be sacked, there are strikers out there, albeit they are the most expensive type of player.

Levy's for not "spending more money" ?

The manager at the time, for not saying "I don't want that lad, I want the money to be spent on a striker ?

Or is it (as I believe) a combination of all of the above ?

Levy has been reported as being a very tough negotiator but also as a very honourable one. Once a deals been agreed, nothing changes. Indeed an agent of a player we were after (Coutinho ?) even came out and said that a deal had been agreed with Levy, all the financials were agreed and it was Poch who then said he didn't want him and the deal didn't happen. So,obviously Levy listens to his managers.

If we look at the facts, we've bought in midfielder after midfielder, which were not needed. Spending over £130m in the last two windows without addressing the areas of the team which are desperately short.

If Poch or Jose really, really (desperately) wanted a striker and as any good manager should be, was in constant communication with Levy about it why wasn't at least some of that money used to buy one ?

That is the thing I really can't get my head around, if our managers were desperate for a striker why did we spend £130m needlessly (mostly) on midfielders, when we have evidence that Levy listens to his managers regarding signings ?

Back
Top Bottom