Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dominated the ball away from home (against a good side, 13 points out of their last 6 home games) and got royally fucked by a horrible decision, conceded some stinking goals down to individual errors on the pitch and sloppiness from players that he didn't even fucking sign, wasted loads of good chances to create for a player that is literally a goal machine and had the fucking ball in the net about 4 times and you're all getting tore in to the manager?

Some here make me really want to be able to reach through the screen and slap you in the fucking mouths tbh.
If the same individual errors occur week in week out, are they really not structural?

We had 2 shots on target... Sheffield had 3goals... We deserved the loss. We were garbage.

He's the manager of the team - that includes players fitness and avoiding injuries, Son's was unlucky, Kane's was through playing too much.

So Jose within a month is at the route of Kane allegedly being injury-prone; not the prior 5 years?

I'm open to the pro's and cons of both JM & Poch but sorry that's biased rubbish.

Yet the same team can exit the League Cup to Colchester? Get put out of the FA Cup by Norwich?

The problem is that our mentality is fragile, it's not consistent. For me that CL run is so deceptive. We showed a great desire against City but totally shat ourselves at the end and were saved by a 1mm offside. Would we have been talking about a great mentality if we'd lost with the last kick after doing all that hard work? Poch used to go on and on about perception of the team vs reality, that CL run was not the real level of this team. It was an unrepeatable miracle not an indication of our real strength. The final showed where we really are.

Mourinho may or may not be the right man for this job but I'm struggling to think of any manager we could get who would fix our mentality issue. It's part of the club's DNA. We've lost 8, EIGHT, FA Cup semi finals in a row. That's not an issue with one specific manager.
We beat City mate! The favourites to win the fucking thing, the best team in the World IMO. (We beat Dortmund before that). We deservedly beat them at the Lane, kept a clean sheet (the reason why we beat them re away goals) and then we stuck 3 past them at their place, something no team has done at their place in recent history. We withstood everything they throw at us and yeah, had we conceded at the end I wouldn't say our mentality was wrong, you hold your hands up and say they were simply the better side.

What did you think of Jose tactics last night?

Do you like how Jose has us playing?

Are we attractive attacking side?

Are you enjoying Jose's Spurs?

These are the questions that need to be focused on but no! Jose deflects yet again and Spurs fans form an orderly queue to bash the shit out of whoever Jose thinks you should.

Creativity and defense are an obvious problem.

We do not have the right players and we sold some of the wrong ones IMHO and it wasn't on Jose tbfh.

Eriksen & Walker both wanted to leave (as did Trippier albeit cos he was dropped)......

Who did we actively get rid of that should have stayed?

Yet the same team can exit the League Cup to Colchester? Get put out of the FA Cup by Norwich?

The problem is that our mentality is fragile, it's not consistent. For me that CL run is so deceptive. We showed a great desire against City but totally shat ourselves at the end and were saved by a 1mm offside. Would we have been talking about a great mentality if we'd lost with the last kick after doing all that hard work? Poch used to go on and on about perception of the team vs reality, that CL run was not the real level of this team. It was an unrepeatable miracle not an indication of our real strength. The final showed where we really are.

Mourinho may or may not be the right man for this job but I'm struggling to think of any manager we could get who would fix our mentality issue. It's part of the club's DNA. We've lost 8, EIGHT, FA Cup semi finals in a row. That's not an issue with one specific manager.

We were outplayed by City in the quarters, Ajax completed dominated us for 135 mins in the semis and we all know what happened in the final

If I was Levy, I'd have inserted a clause in Mourinho's contract. If we don't qualify for UCL or UEL this season, the contract can be terminated.

If I was Levy, I'd have inserted a clause in Mourinho's contract. If we don't qualify for UCL or UEL this season, the contract can be terminated.
I could see him trying to insert some kind of get out clause for a lesser target, like Europa league perhaps.

However that’s wishful thinking, the most likely clause inserted was something in José’s favour saying he is a due a pay out if he isn’t given a full season.

We beat City mate! The favourites to win the fucking thing, the best team in the World IMO. (We beat Dortmund before that). We deservedly beat them at the Lane, kept a clean sheet (the reason why we beat them re away goals) and then we stuck 3 past them at their place, something no team has done at their place in recent history. We withstood everything they throw at us and yeah, had we conceded at the end I wouldn't say our mentality was wrong, you hold your hands up and say they were simply the better side.

What did you think of Jose tactics last night?

Do you like how Jose has us playing?

Are we attractive attacking side?

Are you enjoying Jose's Spurs?

These are the questions that need to be focused on but no! Jose deflects yet again and Spurs fans form an orderly queue to bash the shit out of whoever Jose thinks you should.

I have not enjoyed watching us play in the PL since around November 2018. Since we beat Chelsea at Wembley 3-1. That was the last time I think we played 90 minutes of high quality football in a PL match. Most of the time since then we have struggled badly against every single opponent.

There are massive problems with our team that existed before Jose turned up, he hasn't had enough time and signings to fix them. We looked stable in defence against West Ham, who played in exactly the same way as Sheffield, yet the same players gave up 3 pathetic goals last night. Lo Celso who bossed the game against West Ham was invisible against Sheffield.

I didn't like the starting XI because there was only one player in there who could pass the ball, but we still shouldn't concede those 3 goals. We had so many players in the box on all 3 actions and nobody did their job. You can criticise Mou for the starting XI but not the defensive errors. I'd be embarrassed to concede those goals on the playground.

Yeah you're right he's doing a fantastic job

I'm being objective.... On the other hand you're taking shit.

Between Poch and Harry they clocked an extreme amounts of miles in Harry's legs over 5 years and you think JM should have reversed the effects of that whole process in 5 or 6 weeks?

Your either insanely biased or stupid....

Which is it?

Daniel Levy is the only man to blame for all of this shit. When people understand he's the cancer the better we all will be.

We had success with poch despite Levy. Bought fuck all for 2 seasons, we are loaded with money because we excelled in terms of income and increased our global brand so much more than ever could have been expected under Poch.

The stadium was coming with or without champs league. We had consistent runs in the tournament, a finals, top 2 and 3 finishes along with that income. We are so ahead financially than Levy would have expected 5 years ago that's its criminal we are at this junction

Mid table no europe no real hope for next season.
Levy isn't gonna just spend loads of money. We had the chance when we came 2nd the improve in a couple of key areas with one or two big signings, now we are about 5 or 6 big signings away from competing again.

Kane will be off this season no doubt, Jose system doesn't suit him and Jose always has a couple of high profile players that leave

Ah I honestly went from watching the mediocre football we became so used to, to being given real hope and joy in watching every single min of each match because we were just so fucking good.

How we could crash so hard is all down to Levy. Our whole team felt as if a chapter ended last June and we have not recovered. A team built by Poch that were so relied on because of very little changes. After 5 years of almost hitting the peak of the mountain and not getting there, it needed character and competition within the squad, especially in the summer. Instead the squad was allowed to rot and feel sorry for themselves. We should have made then big key signings to wake the squad up into remembering there is a new season to achieve our goals.

Fucking ranting I don't care, its rotten to the core how we have been handled and you can always draw the comparison the Liverpool.

Few seasons back any player would've considered us. Any new young player we would be top of the list to come to. Us before Liverpool would've been the mentality but we wasted that chance and signed nobody.

What top player would come to us now?

Ah fucking fuming

I have not enjoyed watching us play in the PL since around November 2018. Since we beat Chelsea at Wembley 3-1. That was the last time I think we played 90 minutes of high quality football in a PL match. Most of the time since then we have struggled badly against every single opponent.

There are massive problems with our team that existed before Jose turned up, he hasn't had enough time and signings to fix them. We looked stable in defence against West Ham, who played in exactly the same way as Sheffield, yet the same players gave up 3 pathetic goals last night. Lo Celso who bossed the game against West Ham was invisible against Sheffield.

I didn't like the starting XI because there was only one player in there who could pass the ball, but we still shouldn't concede those 3 goals. We had so many players in the box on all 3 actions and nobody did their job. You can criticise Mou for the starting XI but not the defensive errors. I'd be embarrassed to concede those goals on the playground.
What was wrong with the team before Jose? Has it addressed it, are the issues still present?

Out of the recent players we have been linked with and failed to get over the line despite being so close, Jack Grealish and Bruno Fernandes are two that really hurt me most. Crying out for creativity like that.

They were clearly higher on our lists of targets and the players we've got in instead have been poorer for the club/team by comparison so far IMO.

When your quality like Eriksen go without a good enough settled player in there it's a massive risk. Even Trippier's exit doesn't sit well with me with only Aurier left as a natural full back (KWP is not good enough).

We sold Dembele in a January window for a quick profit before his contract ran out, an experienced, respected player in the squad. We sold Eriksen in January again to scrape as much transfer value as possible for a player that clearly has wanted away earlier and had no one in the squad to replace his creativity.

This is not about fucking Jose.

Last edited:
Didn't want him here from the get-go. But to park that reason for a second, so assuming that I didn't have this view and I wanted him here, all I can say is I've seen nothing from him that I want to see in my Spurs team.

I have tried to be consistent by saying this season is not about results but how we play. What building blocks is he putting in place, the foundations that underpin this side, something that we can see?
The only influence I can see that shows work on the training field has been what we do off the ball (excluding this game tonight of course). We are showing signs of control, some players know their roles and what's expected. There is effort off the ball to drop into shape and keep spaces compact.

The last two games we've had the ball, or perhaps more to the point that we've played two sides that want the ball less than us. However, I much prefer us to have the ball than to sit in a low or medium block and look to frustrate teams but there is a flaw in this logic and that's we aren't doing a great deal with the ball when we have it.

So the only signs that can be talked about in a positive sense i.e signs that there's been coaching have been centred around what we do when we are out of possession. There is absolutely zero influence from him in how we attack, other than pushing Aurier up the pitch in a wonky 3-3-3-1.

I simply can't get behind this. It's not how the best teams in the world play, it's not how the well-coached lesser teams play. Because of this, I can't get behind it. I can't see how this team playing like this, without any respectable attacking phases demonstrated (other than to get Aurire to cross) we are going to compete.

He has at his disposal one of Europes best-attacking players (Kane, Son, Dele, Bergwijn, Lucas, Ndombele, Lamela, Lo Celso) we should be getting 15'ish shots away each game, we should be an attacking side (Still with problems in central/defensive midfield to fix).

If he was showing his influence on the attacking side to his game then there is reason to give him time. We look like we did under Sherwood (and he had a win % that would blow Jose's out of the water). We have no identity. I would have expected to have seen some evidence of this by now.

Couldn’t stand him as a manager but didn’t Timmy’s record as a manager stack up well against most?

:sherwoodlol:

We played badly yesterday. I don't think there is much arguments on that.

But I feel that this abuse against Mou is just some clichee thinking - "Mou is old, boring and mean"; "Poch was young, interesting and good". It feels like there has been some kind of collective memory loss here.
He took the helm when we were in 14th place ffs. We played absolutely lethargic football, and in some games we almost din't even bother to try to attack.

Yesterday we had them pinned into their box for most of the game. And we were not able to unlock their defense while they were in the box already. Some make it sound like it would have been something new with us. It is not. Same thing happened under Poch as well. We just don't have anyone that would be able to unlock the tightly packed defenses. Eriksen while ago was someone who could. Dembele in different way sometimes helped with that as well. Now take those 2 our of Poch teams and how much would have we won?

Mou inherited team that was in shambles. It was heading for relegation. And this march was led by Poch. This small piece of information seems to have gone missing from memory. It's not like before Mou everything was super awesome, we were pulling trees from the ground and enjoying our time on the pitch.

I just hope that once this season has been finished with Sheffield game, now we can try some stuff out for next season -
- can Skipp work out as DM in Premier League level?
- if we give Ndombele few starts in a row, will he improve and last through those games?
- how well could we do with 4-3-3 given the personell we have?
- if we give Sessegnon enough time will he be able to fulfill LB role? or LW role?
- does Alderweireld still have it in him to play good and error-free games in CB?

Based on the answers to those questions we need to make adjustments to the squad for next season, and hope that we improve. Our current squad has awfully flopped under 2 managers now and some significant changes have to be implemented, there is no doubt in that.

Back
Top Bottom