Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How can you believe this:

But disagree with this:

It’s the exact same principle you wrote and the crux your entire opinion is built on.

Just like Totti, looooooong posts but zero substance and changing with the wind when it suits.

So again, despite what the resume says, how do you know Pardew would not be the ideal manager for Spurs.

And on that basis, would you not be livid if we brought him in? Please explain your opinions here because you are coming unstuck again.

You can’t have a thought process that only counts for Jose and Poch, but it all goes out the window if we were to hire Pardew or Klopp.

Then you would suddenly have a very specific idea about where the club was heading and you would NOT be saying that Klopp might not be right for us despite his past because only his time at Spurs counts.

Fraud
I disagreed with it because I'm not pretending to know which manager is better for Spurs, before they manage a full season, or even a match. i'm simply saying it's more appropriate to judge the two after a few seasons.

Similar to Mourinho, it's a pragmatic approach.

Here's what you left out of the post you quoted:

I didn't love Mourinho as a hire because I'm not sure it's a good fit. His style doesn't suit Spurs. His way of building a team doesn't really suit Spurs. That doesn't mean, and I haven't said, that he can't/won't be better than Poch.

Never said Mou was a bad hire. Never said I "hated" or even "disliked" the hire. Never pretended to "know" who would be a good fit. I've stated repeatedly that none of that means he won't/can't be successful. Stop conflating my opinion with that of others. Simply said let's wait and see.

And no, I don't think, and have never said, i'd rather continue to qualify and get knocked out of CL than win a trophy/trophies elsewhere.

Last edited:
To all the people saying he was a failure at united and hes past it answer me this, if he did what he did at united at spurs wouldnt that be a success?
A league cup, europa league with a champions league qualification?

Are we removing the caveat of him having The most expensive team of all time at Man Utd or not?

Also Van Gaal also won a trophy and got a top 4 finish in his 2 seasons at Utd.

There were some darned good players in that team.

It's fair to say that his United tenure was clearly not the work of circa-2011 gods gift to management Mourinho.
Here’s Jose’s double winning squad

Care to tell me who you would have wanted in 2016/17?

Im thinking Zlatan and then De Gea as back up to Lloris. It was a shite squad

On the subject of whether losing a final in a more important competition is better than winning a lesser competition, is not easy . However if you look at the F A Cup we have been to 9 finals. I have been to the last 4 and I can tell you the Coventry one we lost does not register as a good day. The disappointment that day was tremendous. The League Cup is nowhere near as important as the F A cup and this coming season will be even less important as it is expected that the early rounds will be scheduled the same weeks as European Competition meaning playing Tuesday and Thursday. I equate the Europa with the UEFA cup which we have won.
I think if you have won the competition then losing finals are not important but if you have never won the competition like CL then losing the final is the best you have achieved and important until you actually win it. Therefore whilst last season's CL final is important to us I doubt Liverpool think much of the previous year when they lost in the final.

The trophy drought/ subsequent banter from rival fans has made people lose all objectivity. These people think they’ll wake up fulfilled if Jose repeats his Man Utd achievements here. They won’t.
On the contrary, those same fans probably claimed he was washed up at United whilst ignoring the fact he won more there than we have in 20 years.

Care to tell me who you would have wanted in 2016/17?

Im thinking Zlatan and then De Gea as back up to Lloris. It was a shite squad

Mate we've got Moussa Sissoko in the Paul Pogba role. Don't be silly.

The trouble that squad had was the back four was horrendous. Which definitely made it hard for Mourinho to play his football, no question. All I'm saying is that his tenure does not belong to the string of perpetual wild success that made his reputation.

On the subject of whether losing a final in a more important competition is better than winning a lesser competition, is not easy . However if you look at the F A Cup we have been to 9 finals. I have been to the last 4 and I can tell you the Coventry one we lost does not register as a good day. The disappointment that day was tremendous. The League Cup is nowhere near as important as the F A cup and this coming season will be even less important as it is expected that the early rounds will be scheduled the same weeks as European Competition meaning playing Tuesday and Thursday. I equate the Europa with the UEFA cup which we have won.
I think if you have won the competition then losing finals are not important but if you have never won the competition like CL then losing the final is the best you have achieved and important until you actually win it. Therefore whilst last season's CL final is important to us I doubt Liverpool think much of the previous year when they lost in the final.
Most people don't remember losing to Blackburn, Man United and Chelsea in the last 18ish years in league cup finals. People still bang on about losing to Coventry in 87

I think we need to treat every competition seriously and set out to win as much as we can. Losing the CL final particularly in the way we did had a real negative impact on the squad mentality and I'm a firm believer that winning things has a strong positive mental impact. I think any player would love to feel the glory and euphoria that comes with winning a competition.
We're a club that has a long history of winning trophies and it's horrible to see us in such a barren spell, I firmly believe that even a League cup win would be useful to whet the appetite of most players and get that monkey off our backs.

Most people don't remember losing to Blackburn, Man United and Chelsea in the last 18ish years in league cup finals. People still bang on about losing to Coventry in 87

Poch's two finals came too early and too late in his tenure. Nabil Bentaleb, Ryan Mason and Andros Townsend started in one, Kieran Trippier, Moussa Sissoko and Harry Winks in the other.

Give either of those teams a fit Dembele and Wanyama and they win those matches.

Mate we've got Moussa Sissoko in the Paul Pogba role. Don't be silly.

The trouble that squad had was the back four was horrendous. Which definitely made it hard for Mourinho to play his football, no question. All I'm saying is that his tenure does not belong to the string of perpetual wild success that made his reputation.
So Pogba and Zlatan as the outfield players from a squad of 26?
What a team

EL qualification was up for grabs, sorry but there was no time for sentiment

I know but again Jan is a better defender than all the others bar Toby and him and Toby for a few seasons were the best CB partnership in the prem. It's was just Jose being an arse hole. Trying to show he is number one.I have watched Jan again this season and has played a lot better than both Sanchez and Dier made far less mistakes but because Jose is trying to say Dier is my main man it kept out a better player. I have a feeling that Dier is going to be Jose's downfall as he is less than average player. We have lost Jan now when really we should have given him a new contract and sold Dier and groom Japhet

This is the Mourinho thread and many including me gave him to the end of the season to review. In Jan-Mar I had serious doubts as I did after Sheff Utd defeat but on results alone he deserves to stay longer. Performances have been poor on too many occasions but is that down to circumstances being available players or is he too negative. I do not watch a lot of other teams play other than when they play us. However Mourinho's teams being Chelsea and MU when playing us have not from my memory been negative. I expect us to score goals which is what wins matches. Now how that is achieved whether breakaways or sustained possession is up for debate. I got frustrated with Poch's team passing and passing but not creating a chance only to see the opposition go and score. I like that I feel a little more relaxed that we can defend set pieces now. I expect us to press for a second if winning and not hang on for 1-0 as the Woolwich used to do in 1971 and under Graham.
I do hope if we get a new DM that we can hold onto the ball better and create more possession and openings. Without a good DM we are bringing everyone back and when we get the ball there is no one to pass to. We need to trust the defenders and Midfield to defend and leave someone up front to give an opening. I do hope we will see an improvement next season and that we will gain more than 59 points. We have no chance of top 2 but where we end up depends on whether the other teams do well but more points will achieve better than this season. Cups will be difficult as Europa and League cup matches will need a lot of rotation. The F A Cup has not been won since 91 and 30 years is far too long and I would really like to win that again. 1921 and 2021 has a good ring to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom