Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bollocks if we're doing good, of course he'll get credit. He's not exactly shy of bigging himself up either is he.

If we play the turgid, dog-shit football we have done at times during his reign he will get the same stick from our fans as he has from every other club he's managed.

If we went from playing marvellous football to playing turgid shit, I would hands down blame Mourinho.
But we were playing uselss, blunt, impotent, turgid football for a long time before he came.

Certainly not a dig at you so please, don't take it that way, but there are a lot of sad fans that are pro-Poch that can't see how bad it god because they're still rubbing out cheeky wanks over 2017.
Take away a few games from the Champions league and the 18/19 season was awful. 2018 was 2 years ago. Mourinho hasn't been here a year.

A lot of people in the Jose out camp said he could only do good with a open cheque book or superstar players, if we get these last few transfers across the line then surely you must be excited about having him here now, as the only reservations were he would be wouldn't be backed by Levy?
What no one has seen with Jose yet, is whether he can find superstar or at least quality players on a bargain and get them to come.

In the past he hasn't had to. Now he does. Getting one of the best players of the last decade and a talented rising star for Burnley money is a master stroke that I don't think Levy and Poch could have pulled off.

A lot of people in the Jose out camp said he could only do good with a open cheque book or superstar players, if we get these last few transfers across the line then surely you must be excited about having him here now, as the only reservations were he would be wouldn't be backed by Levy?

My reservations about him aren't really to do with financial backing. Utd gave him the best part of 400M to spend on players and he was still unhappy and they still played shit football. Their fans are not queuing up to have him back and we won't be once he leaves us (which he will).

I'm hoping he can at least provide winning, successful football if not the attractive style of football that made me a Spurs fan in the first place.

Before reading anything that I put below, I must confess that my opinion is somewhat biased by
the prejudices that I have against him

I do not have a clear opinion about Mourinho so I am willing to wait for the end of this season before saying absolutely nothing, but anyway ALL or Nothing (i wouldn't say that's a Spurs documentary but more a Mourinho's one) has let us see a bit what is Mourinho's way of training and his way of dealing with the group.
In the first training session what he does is try to make a good impression, be funny, but the most important thing is that he tells Kane to go see him the next day.

Why?
Because Mourinho is an intelligent person and he doesn't want to end up like in United (betrayed by his own players) because this may be one of the last chances for Mourinho to show that he is not a finished coach, so he tries to gain the trust of the player who he believe is the most important of the team to be able to influence the rest of the team easily.

There are things that I absolutely do not like and others that seem very strange to me.

For example :

1. In his first press conferences Mourinho begins to create a "media shield" to protect himself from the press critics that have not been done yet (how many times he repeated the thing of "the team would have finished fourth in the league if the season had started when they named me coach" thing, the pandemy is affecting us...) and this only shows the little confidence he has in himself for the time he spended in his last teams and his way out

2. The transfer of Gedson was clearly done to pay a favor to Mendes or to receive one in the future helping to increase the price of Gedson, it was not done thinking at any time in the sports section and I'm afraid this team will end up being converted into the London franchise of Gestifute.

3. Leaving aside any opinion about Rose what he said about Mourinho is true.
Mourinho gives priority in the starting 11 to his friends and not to the best 11 players.
It is clear that each coach has their own tastes and there are some favorite players who play despite their performance and others who are easier to criticize or withdraw from the starting 11(and harder to start)
but a team that aspires to win SOMETHING cannot simple afford to have Winks, Dier, Aurier, Ben Davies or Sissoko starting. They're good players to fill the bench but THEY CAN'T BE STARTERS

4.I am not an elite coach but I've seen the City documentary and ours and I can see a clear difference between Mourinho and Guardiola. While Guardiola tries to empower his own team regardless of the rival, Mourinho does the opposite, he tries to destroy the rival's advantages and does not allow the players any mistakes. It may be that fear of making mistakes is what causes players to refuse to attempt any forward pass and simply pass backwards.

5.The "winner mentality" it's a very ambiguous thing.
For me all players have sporting and economic ambitions and for me they all want to win and play well because the fulfillment of their ambitions depends on their performance
The winner mentality alone does not make you win, you need talent also.
How many players in this squad have won something?
Lloris a world cup and that's all
For me that "winner mentality" thing is just an excuse to keep playing mediocre players

6.Doherty, Hojbjerg, Bale, Reguilón (rebuy clause during 2 years).
The signings that Mourinho does are making make me think that Mourinho does not plan to stay at Tottenham in the medium-long term and rebuild but win things in the short.

7.We all know that Tanguy is struggling to adapt his physique and I think we all know that the possibility that Tanguy's physique will never be the right for PL is real but what I don't understand is what happened last season at the lockdown and in the post-lockdown
What is the objective of praising a player throughout the lockdown for his effort and not giving him any reward?
I'm not talking about starting him or making him playing a whole half, I'm talking about giving him 10 or 5 minutes so he doesn't lose his morale and keeps working.
Gedson, Sissoko and the rest of the squad were on top of him in the rotation
This season Tanguy has to play yes or yes, he's a very very important investment of the club and we need to know as soon as possible if he suits in the team or not because time will only make him lose value.

IMO : I think that in the Tanguy issue there is something more in the background that we don't know.
It may be that Tanguy being a signing of Poch makes Mourinho does not feel him as "his"

8. This point connects with 7 and 3.
I feel a lot of hostility from him towards Poch
I think that many players who were favored by Poch are having their minutes reduced and many others who were disfavoured by Poch are seeing their minutes increased without taking into account at any time the physical condition and performance of each one.

This is just my opinion, I hope no one is offended by it.

Last edited:
1. Always been Mourinho's way.

3. Doubt Mourinho has won as much as he had simply selecting "friends" over talent.

4. Again, always been Mourinho's way...trophy count says it works. Guardiola is advantaged in this respect, as for his entire career practically every squad he's ever selected has been overwhelmingly more talented man for man than their opponents. Apples to oranges, mate. Guardiola would be shit with an average squad, Mourinho wouldn't.

6. No one expected Mourinho to be here long time, least of all Mourinho or Levy.

8. Absurd to think Mourinho is jealous of Poch and punishing his "favorites". If anything Mourinho is likely looking at the fact that Poch's favoured selections did so well that they got Poch, who the club loved, sacked. Only a fool would follow in the footsteps of a dead man.

4. Again, always been Mourinho's way...trophy count says it works. Guardiola is advantaged in this respect, as for his entire career practically every squad he's ever selected has been overwhelmingly more talented man for man than their opponents. Apples to oranges, mate. Guardiola would be shit with an average squad, Mourinho wouldn't.
Sorry,

What?

At present Mourinho is shit with a squad that should be at least, well above average

Inspired managerial performance from The Special One tonight.

He was like a tiger in the grass, lulling the Bulgarian farmers into a false sense of security before POUNCING with a double tap from our stars Kane & Ndombollo.

If he hadn't put this team with Dier/Sanchez/Davies/Doherty/PEH/Sissoko and made them play it out from the back (despite clearly not having anywhere near the ability to do so) the farmers would never have shot themselves in the head with 2 reds like they did!

Mourinho masterclass is the term, innit.

People criticizing Jose for Sissoko´s selection are not realizing that this was actually good news. We played a 4-3-3 today, which means that, with a little luck, Ndombele will be the one completing that midfield in his place - Jose already said he is training well, though still not ready to play for 90 minutes.

About the game itself, if you are honest, it´s difficult to say much. We should obviously got a better result and performance - but we missed many chances before their goal; Sonny, for example, was terrible in front of the goal (his thread is empty, though). But the truth is that, apart from our second goal - very well built -, we really don´t have the informations about how we conceded, how we reacted after that.

It was a hell of an experience - in a bad way -, and we certainly didn´t do well. But to come here and say "Jose out", when nobody actually saw the full game, it´s a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
Entertaining football and no trophies?

Shite football and a few pots in the next few years?

Option two please.

I’m going to completely ignore option three of shite football and no trophies. Leave me alone.

Back
Top Bottom