Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thomas Muller is from their academy.

They have just opened (2017) a brand new academy that they spent €100m on build it, but yeah just ticking a box.
1140930_imgw968.jpg
He is 1 out of hundreds or so who never make it to their first team and that's how academy should work, you are just proving my point

We don't do it that much. Usually it's the defenders being pressed and not having enough options in front of them to pass too, midfielder hiding and not showing for the ball so the defenders play safe and hoof it forward. Also our defenders are not very confident on the ball which doesn't help
If Ndombele and / or GLC are in a deeper CM role, then we should have the ability to play out from the back because both will absolutely show for the ball and be prepared to receive it under pressure.
Frankly when we have the likes of Dier or Sissoko anywhere near CM I positively pray we hoof it, because they don't have the technical ability or desire to play out.
So personnel is crucial. As is the willingness of other players to move and make themselves available as options when Ndombele and GLC are brave enough to take the ball in tight spaces.
But if Ndombele becomes established in our team then "hoofball" should be largely unnecessary because his first instinct is to play through the lines and ping the ball forward.
Our front players like Kane, Sonny, Bale plus Stevie B & Lucas should be making attacking runs the moment Tanguy gets possession of the ball knowing that he is guaranteed to get his head up and try to play them in.

Last edited:
I appreciate everything Jose has done in the game, but part of me is also concerned that we simply just don't look good enough. I'm not sure we have enough about us to finish top 4, even with the new additions if our performances don't pick up.

He is 1 out of hundreds or so who never make it to their first team and that's how academy should work, you are just proving my point
You said there weren't ANY, I'm showing you that there was.

I'm not claiming that the academy is good/bad/or indifferent. I am refuting your assertion that they have an academy to tick a box, which is a truly absurd statement, also backed up by the fact they have just invested €100m on a brand new academy complex.

If Ndombele and / or GLC are in a deeper CM role, then we should have the ability to play out from the back because both will absolutely show for the ball and be prepared to receive it under pressure.
Frankly when we have the likes of Dier or Sissoko anywhere near CM I positively pray we hoof it, because they don't have the technical ability or desire to play out.
So personnel is crucial. As is the willingness of other players to move and make themselves available as options when Ndombele and GLC are brave enough to take the ball in tight spaces.
But if Ndombele becomes established in our team then "hoofball" should be largely unnecessary because his first instinct is to play through the lines and ping the ball forward.
Our front players like Kane, Sonny, Bale plus Stevie B & Lucas should be making attacking runs the moment Tanguy gets possession of the ball knowing that he is guaranteed to get his head up and try to play them in.

Maybe it was an oversight, but I don't think it was, but isn't it concerning that when talking about playing the ball out from our back 4 there is no mention of moving it to PEH, our new signing that is theoretically the player who should be playing deep if we have Ndombele and Lo Celso in the MF like we need? Shouldn't one of the main things he be doing is helping move that ball from the back 4 so that Ndombele and Lo Celso don't have to drop deep?

I understand if you excluded him because he hasn't shown the ability to do that role, I don't think we want him being responsible for having the ball or risk him getting pressed because we know it is a backpass or turnover if he is.

I'm not claiming that the academy is good/bad/or indifferent. I am refuting your assertion that they have an academy to tick a box, which is a truly absurd statement, also backed up by the fact they have just invested €100m on a brand new academy complex.

I just want to chime in that anyone who thinks Bayern Munich doesn't value their academy has no idea what they are talking about. Sure, Bayern gets the pick of the best in Germany, and they also have expanded their scouting network to find incredible young talents like Alphonso Davies and even Chris Richards (young American defender, very highly rated here). A current academy graduate for them is Joshua Zirkzee, certainly someone who can make some noise, and they signed Tanguy Nianzou and Jamal Masiala, both U18s who have a lot of potential too.

But their academy in the past has graduated Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Alaba (though maybe he doesn't count since he was only in it for one year? I'm not sure how between the weeds this is getting), Muller, Hummels, Can, and Badstuber (who was very good before his knees prevented him from being elite). Bayern has absolutely made youth development and their academy a priority.

I just want to chime in that anyone who thinks Bayern Munich doesn't value their academy has no idea what they are talking about. Sure, Bayern gets the pick of the best in Germany, and they also have expanded their scouting network to find incredible young talents like Alphonso Davies and even Chris Richards (young American defender, very highly rated here). A current academy graduate for them is Joshua Zirkzee, certainly someone who can make some noise, and they signed Tanguy Nianzou and Jamal Masiala, both U18s who have a lot of potential too.

But their academy in the past has graduated Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Alaba (though maybe he doesn't count since he was only in it for one year? I'm not sure how between the weeds this is getting), Muller, Hummels, Can, and Badstuber (who was very good before his knees prevented him from being elite). Bayern has absolutely made youth development and their academy a priority.
100% agree. Although there it isn't exactly a conveyor belt as those names span a +10yr period. But the recent investment in the new academy block is a concerted effort by the club to give it greater focus. I think they accept that the Academy should have been more productive.

Mauricio "Wait for an hour at least" Pochettino.
Sometimes it was as if he was taking the poor performances personally and refusing to believe all would not eventually work out on the pitch. Only after the tolling of the hour mark did it seem to sink in that a change of personnel was required and we saw the now infamous "70th minute sub(s)". Some however were even much.much later than that.

Maybe it was an oversight, but I don't think it was, but isn't it concerning that when talking about playing the ball out from our back 4 there is no mention of moving it to PEH, our new signing that is theoretically the player who should be playing deep if we have Ndombele and Lo Celso in the MF like we need? Shouldn't one of the main things he be doing is helping move that ball from the back 4 so that Ndombele and Lo Celso don't have to drop deep?

I understand if you excluded him because he hasn't shown the ability to do that role, I don't think we want him being responsible for having the ball or risk him getting pressed because we know it is a backpass or turnover if he is.
NEVER PLAY THE BALL OUT: Sissoko & Dier

ALWAYS TRY TO PLAY OUT: Ndombele & GLC

If GLC or Tanguy are part of our midfield, then I'm fine with Winks & PEH making themselves available to receive and move the ball from the main playmaker.

But I think playing out through Winks & PEH without GLC or Ndombele in the team would be a losing tactic. It would also send me to sleep as they slowly pass from side to side.

An immature De Bruyne could get in the team with Willian, prime Oscar and Hazard and couldn't deal with it / wanted to play week in week out (fair enough so they sold him), he is a much better footballer nowadays and has certainly grown as a man as well.
We’ve had the same with Kane & Bale Kane was loaned out out here there and everywhere and earlier released by the the cockwombles down the road Bale I think was on the verge of getting sold under Redknapp but things change either by good luck or ignorance it doesnt matter how it works as long as it does.

An immature De Bruyne could get in the team with Willian, prime Oscar and Hazard and couldn't deal with it / wanted to play week in week out (fair enough so they sold him), he is a much better footballer nowadays and has certainly grown as a man as well.
Polite disagree

De Bruyne was right ...... it turns out. Jose was wrong .... it didn’t take De Bruyne seasons to become a great player once he left . He got sold to Wolfsburg was a revelation the moment he arrived and went for big money season after to be the best midfielder in the premier league and one of the worlds best

Why do you presume he was immature. I’m sure he knew he was better than all 3 and felt mourinho wrong by not giving him the chance to show it

so not fair enough they sold him .... they mistakenly sold one of the best midfield footballers in the world due to Jose

One thing Jose really is nailing is his subs. 1000 times better than Poch was at using them
Everton ..... his subs cost us the game 3pts

I also think on some occasions these early subs are correctional for his original selection

You might well be right but I’d like us to be on the front foot a bit more and an inspired sub/a win us a game rather than dragging us out negative state

I think he’s dead?
yeah I get that. It’s just the lad was saying his dad modelled his up bringing in the style of Jose mourinho, as he must’ve thought Jose some kind of legend, so much so that he became a devout chelski fan and cried when they lost that match .

For a grown man I think that’s more than a bit odd.

(aside from any fact that Jose is the king of football management shithousery)

And what do you think that academy for ? One thing for sure is big clubs don't use it as a platform to produce players for their first team except that big club is that finished Manchester United probably ,even the shite one get in there

Last edited:
I think that mourinho firstly is trying to create a momentum, and a winning mentality in the players and build a team, and a team spirit, and the good football will come at a point.

and please beat chelsea... that will give a PUSH in confidence

...The Portuguese midfielder inspired United to their revival under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with his goals and assists helping them finish third in the Premier League as well as reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League.

Since joining in late January the 25-year-old has netted 12 goals and notched eight assists, with eight of those goals coming from the penalty spot.

Speaking back in July former United manager Mourinho aimed a sly dig at his compatriot when he referenced the amount of penalties he tad taken since moving to England.

“Bruno came in, was fit, played very well, improved the United team and also proved to be a great penalty taker, one of the best in the world, because he had about 20 to score," Mourinho said...

😂 I actually think I might love Jose.

...The Portuguese midfielder inspired United to their revival under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with his goals and assists helping them finish third in the Premier League as well as reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League.

Since joining in late January the 25-year-old has netted 12 goals and notched eight assists, with eight of those goals coming from the penalty spot.

Speaking back in July former United manager Mourinho aimed a sly dig at his compatriot when he referenced the amount of penalties he tad taken since moving to England.

“Bruno came in, was fit, played very well, improved the United team and also proved to be a great penalty taker, one of the best in the world, because he had about 20 to score," Mourinho said...

😂 I actually think I might love Jose.
His motto is "Say what you see" :)

Back
Top Bottom