Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is somewhat of surprise - we have heard Jose talk about pressing a lot in the documentary but according this we have been the second best on the league at it behind Liverpool.
Actually that shows we are the worst at pressing. We press more but have the worst success rate at it.

Actually that shows we are the worst at pressing. We press more but have the worst success rate at it.
How do you figure that? be interesting to see just how you reached that conclusion ..... whilst we may regain the ball just 22% of the time, because we press so much that means we regain the ball, which is after all the whole point, more often than over 13 other EPL teams ... how is that the worst?

Think on it like this:

I press 20 times and win the ball back 20% - so four times

You press 10 times and win the ball back 30% - so three times

Who is doing better?

Last edited:
How do you figure that? be interesting to see just how you reached that conclusion ..... whilst we may regain the ball just 22% of the time, because we press so much that means we regain the ball, which is after all the whole point, more often than over 13 other EPL teams ... how is that the worst?

Think on it like this:

I press 20 times and win the ball back 20% - so four times

You press 10 times and win
the ball back 30% - so three times

Who is doing better?
While with your numbers you are making a point. But with real numbers from that list
We had 156 presses with 22 % success = 34 successful presses
next Brighton had 129 with 34% success = 44
Fulham with 135 and 26% success = 35
Mancity's is around 39
next is Sheff untd with around 38
etcetc.

Most of them won the ball more by pressing. Not that these numbers matter either way.

The pressing set up by Mou is really weird. It seems to be some sort of trap almost.
Press with the attackers, not with the mids and defenders.
A: Win it back and attack.
B: Have the opposition funneled into the middle. Let mids win it back and pass directly to the attackers who are high up the pitch after the "failed" press.

Something like that.

The pressing set up by Mou is really weird. It seems to be some sort of trap almost.
Press with the attackers, not with the mids and defenders.
A: Win it back and attack.
B: Have the opposition funneled into the middle. Let mids win it back and pass directly to the attackers who are high up the pitch after the "failed" press.

Something like that.
The intention is to guide opposition play to the wing. There, it would mean cutting opposition formation by half. You would need to cross the ball well, or have quality players on the same wavelength to combine to penetrate through the compact low block in the middle. The defending side has more numbers in this situation

Remember the game we lost against Mourinho Man U at OT in his first season there? Sissoko had the beating of that Italian defender on their left wing, but we couldn't approach central area with them having so many bodies and good penalty box defenders, and Sissoko couldn't cross the ball well. Man for man we won, but tactically they had us running in circle.

Last edited:
dx8iui63zcr51.jpg

Our manager is anime. You'll never sing that!

The intention is to guide opposition play to the wing. There, it would mean cutting opposition formation by half. You would need to cross the ball well, or have quality players on the same wavelength to combine to penetrate through the compact low block in the middle. The defending has more numbers in this situation

Remember the game we lost against Mourinho Man U in first season? Sissoko had the beating of that Italian defender on their left wing, but we couldn't approach centrally with them having so many bodies and good penalty box defenders, and Sissoko couldn't cross the ball well. Man for man we won, but tactically they had us running in circle.
Indeed. You will take more insights if you read the book written for Jose. He splits the field in dangerous areas. For him, it's always important to have a block with the defenders and an additional one with the DM /midfielders outside of the box. I assume he wants to block rebounds and direct balls through the centre. He doesn't really care if opponents cross the ball from flanks as he -usually- trusts his defenders to clear all the crosses.
That's why I can't see a very solid defence line as I don't trust Sanchez at all. He is very athletic but his positioning and man to man defending is below average. As it is mentioned in another topic, I can see died - Toby duo playing to all the important matches that Tottenham will wait back.

Indeed. You will take more insights if you read the book written for Jose. He splits the field in dangerous areas. For him, it's always important to have a block with the defenders and an additional one with the DM /midfielders outside of the box. I assume he wants to block rebounds and direct balls through the centre. He doesn't really care if opponents cross the ball from flanks as he -usually- trusts his defenders to clear all the crosses.
That's why I can't see a very solid defence line as I don't trust Sanchez at all. He is very athletic but his positioning and man to man defending is below average. As it is mentioned in another topic, I can see died - Toby duo playing to all the important matches that Tottenham will wait back.

Can I have the name of the book? Thanks in advance.

Yes, only thing is at Spurs he and Levy are tight like he and Moratta (Inter) were, which means the players will know there is only one option: loyalty.

There’s every indication we might have found our Fergie in Jose, if Levy continues to be keen.

Listen - enjoy the ride. It'll be a whirlwind - we will probably win something this seasom and/or next season, but he'll be gone in a few years.

Anyone under any impression it'll be otherwise needs to look at his entire history.
Porto - 2 seasons
Chelsea 3.2 seasons
Inter Milan 2 seasons
Real Madrid 3 seasons
Chelsea 2.5 seasons
Man United 2.5 seasons

He may be a winner, but he is not, and never will be a long termer.

Listen - enjoy the ride. It'll be a whirlwind - we will probably win something this seasom and/or next season, but he'll be gone in a few years.

Anyone under any impression it'll be otherwise needs to look at his entire history.
Porto - 2 seasons
Chelsea 3.2 seasons
Inter Milan 2 seasons
Real Madrid 3 seasons
Chelsea 2.5 seasons
Man United 2.5 seasons

He may be a winner, but he is not, and never will be a long termer.
Yeah, and he’s defensive, doesn’t play youth, is a cheque book manager, and can’t beat big teams. Am I right?

Enjoy the ride... fuck off. You sound gutted ffs!

Yeah, and he’s defensive, doesn’t play youth, is a cheque book manager, and can’t beat big teams. Am I right?

Enjoy the ride... fuck off. You sound gutted ffs!

I was all for the appointment.
I wasn't ever in any belief he was an ultra negative boring coach. That's BS.
I was and always will believe he is a fire that burns bright but burns out quickly.
And we needed some short termism.

Back
Top Bottom