Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hold on... is this where we're headed? Sure seems so...

That is some team! We definitely have some of the puzzle pieces but not sure we have all of them. Jose got the best out of all of those players, it’s unbelievable. They outran, outfought everyone. The only thing missing was the CL trophy while Jose was there. Unlucky.

Hold on... is this where we're headed? Sure seems so...

Zidane may have got the champions leagues but jose built that force of a team and dominated that league season against the best barce side in history, anyone could of won with that team after him...
Then goes to Chelsea and wins another league title lol
If man city wouldn't of bought the league and ed woodward wasnt a knob jockey he could of had the title at united, i think that really hurt jose his time at united and everyone calling him a dinosaur!
Hopefully he can build that team here.

This is a funny and endearing comment, but it shouldn’t detract from the fact that he picked the team and set out the tactics tonight. He is at least partially culpable.

I’m gonna get pelters for this, but there’s been far too much Jose love over the last week for my liking. Yes, he says all the right things, but this has been a season of mixed performances so far.

We’ve played well in patches (Utd, Newcastle, Soton 2nd half, against some sub-par EL competition), and poor in others (Everton, West Ham 2nd half, Burnley, tonight).

We have a squad capable of competing in every competition IMO, and I truly do trust Jose to get tactics and team selection right against the big teams.

But we are not great against poor sides. Going back to last season with performances against Bournemouth and Sheff U, if we don’t get an early lead we really struggle to impose our will onto opponents. For me, my frustration with Jose has never been about possession or lack of attacking intent, I just wish he played higher up the pitch. I truly believe that would help us “impose” ourselves on the weaker teams more.

Burnley was a perfect example of this; they had no pacey threat in behind and 2 CM’s without attacking intent, and yet we still sat too deep for me. It meant we never won the ball high up the pitch and allowed Burnley to “shape up” defensively against us, that suits them perfectly.

We’ve had a big influx of new players so there were always likely to be some teething issues, but performances like tonight and Burnley (yes I know we won) are as much because of Jose as the great Utd performance was.

This is a funny and endearing comment, but it shouldn’t detract from the fact that he picked the team and set out the tactics tonight. He is at least partially culpable.

I’m gonna get pelters for this, but there’s been far too much Jose love over the last week for my liking. Yes, he says all the right things, but this has been a season of mixed performances so far.

We’ve played well in patches (Utd, Newcastle, Soton 2nd half, against some sub-par EL competition), and poor in others (Everton, West Ham 2nd half, Burnley, tonight).

We have a squad capable of competing in every competition IMO, and I truly do trust Jose to get tactics and team selection right against the big teams.

But we are not great against poor sides. Going back to last season with performances against Bournemouth and Sheff U, if we don’t get an early lead we really struggle to impose our will onto opponents. For me, my frustration with Jose has never been about possession or lack of attacking intent, I just wish he played higher up the pitch. I truly believe that would help us “impose” ourselves on the weaker teams more.

Burnley was a perfect example of this; they had no pacey threat in behind and 2 CM’s without attacking intent, and yet we still sat too deep for me. It meant we never won the ball high up the pitch and allowed Burnley to “shape up” defensively against us, that suits them perfectly.

We’ve had a big influx of new players so there were always likely to be some teething issues, but performances like tonight and Burnley (yes I know we won) are as much because of Jose as the great Utd performance was.
He's to blame alright and he's clearly aware of it. The point is ideally everyone would want to rotate and rest key players for bigger games, while still maintaining a certain level of competence. Our second string players are better than what they had shown. They had let themselves and the team down.

It's incomparable between different games, let alone this season and last. I meant from psychological point of view Burnley is in the corner at the moment, while we we're trying to shake off those Newcastle and West Ham result. Burnley had nothing to lose while we had some pressure on our back. Burnley style is a pain in the ass especially during period where team has issue with set piece, aerial defending.

Last season, we lacked depth, and after all these years with high intensity pressing style, many of our key players had burned out both physically and psychologically. It had already shown for a while under Poch, even before the start of last season. Pep Man City may be another example. I don't think it's wise, and sustainable to play at that high intensity with a high line anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom