Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not a fan of pointed attacks on players. It doesn't do the team or the organization any good.

We get it, Dele did not meet your standards today and he will most likely not be a choice of yours again, but you don't say that to the public. Keep that in house.

The blanket statements about how we didn't perform well are fine. We didn't and every man should expect to put in work at the training ground to better themselves and the team.

But to say that about Dele, even though it was shrouded in some mystery, is just poor management and petty. This is exactly why I can never get behind this man. He is pouty and it just rubs me the wrong way.

I’m still supporting Jose. His strength of mind and his experience are what we need right now to finally get rid of this Spursy tag.
He recognises the problem, is on the case and is probably the very best person to sort this out.

Not a fan of pointed attacks on players. It doesn't do the team or the organization any good.

We get it, Dele did not meet your standards today and he will most likely not be a choice of yours again, but you don't say that to the public. Keep that in house.

The blanket statements about how we didn't perform well are fine. We didn't and every man should expect to put in work at the training ground to better themselves and the team.

But to say that about Dele, even though it was shrouded in some mystery, is just poor management and petty. This is exactly why I can never get behind this man. He is pouty and it just rubs me the wrong way.

He named no-one... He called the TEAM out...... He has claimed ultimate repsonsibility for picking the players and literally said the buck stops with him..... To percieve that as "pointed" (by which I assume you mean targeted at individuals) shows bias on your part.

Last edited:
He named no-one... He called the TEAM out...... He has claimed ultimate repsonsibility for picking the players and literally said the buck stops with him..... To percieved that as "pointed" (by which I assume you mean targeted at individuals) show bias on your part.
Totally agree, I did not understand the "But to say that about Dele, even though it was shrouded in some mystery" statement whatsoever. I can only presume it to be a case of someone trying really desperately to find something that quite simply isn't there.

He named no-one... He called the TEAM out...... He has claimed ultimate repsonsibility for picking the players and literally said the buck stops with him..... To percieved that as "pointed" (by which I assume you mean targeted at individuals) show bias on your part.
I think the part about asking why a player isn't in the squad and today was proof as to why is pretty damn pointed. Dele hasn't made multiple game day squads. Jose get's questioned on that every press conference. It was pretty fucking blatant without saying "Dele was shit and that is why I haven't been picking him"

Here is the quote: "Before matches you always ask me why this player is not playing, why this player is not playing, why this player is not selected. Maybe now for a few weeks you don't ask me that because you have the answer."

Help me see how you are reading the above

I think the part about asking why a player isn't in the squad and today was proof as to why is pretty damn pointed. Dele hasn't made multiple game day squads. Jose get's questioned on that every press conference. It was pretty fucking blatant without saying "Dele was shit and that is why I haven't been picking him"
He's had similar scrutiny surrounding Bale, Ndombele and others too since his arrival....

Poch used to get spikey about it too. They've both said at times it's disrespectful to those that are picked.

His subs tell the story all on their own anyway.... Is he somehow meant to pretend that such a 'swoop' of subs was purely tactical and no reflection on the individuals (who'd buy that bullshit?). I think the "I'd have subbed all 11 if I could" comment trashes the "he's just having a dig at Dele" theory.

He's had similar scrutiny surrounding Bale, Ndombele and others too since his arrival....

Poch used to get spikey about it too. They've both said at times it's disrespectful to those that are picked.

His subs tell the story all on their own anyway.... Is he somehow meant to pretend that such a 'swoop' of subs was purely tactical and no reflection on the individuals (who'd buy that bullshit?). I think the "I'd have subbed all 11 if I could" comment trashes the "he's just having a dig at Dele" theory.

He was direct to everyone and those subs are very direct to the offending parties, but that quoted text is really about one player in particular. Bergwijn hasn't been called out in the media like Dele. Carlos is brand new. Gio is coming back from injury. The only one that has been mentioned by the media is Dele.

Here is the quote: "Before matches you always ask me why this player is not playing, why this player is not playing, why this player is not selected. Maybe now for a few weeks you don't ask me that because you have the answer."

Help me see how you are reading the above
Put it this way, you'd have a hell of a fucking job proving he was referring to Alli in a court of law. He's been asked about numerous players recently, Ndombele, Dier, Bergwijn, Aurier.

It's not so long ago this article appeared in the press :
JOSE MOURINHO has hit out at what he sees as unfair questioning over his Tottenham team selection.
After being quizzed over Steven Bergwijn's recent omission from his starting line-ups, the Spurs boss complained that Frank Lampard, Pep Guardiola and Co do not face the same criticism.

Any player who's conscience is perfectly clear about his performance against Antwerp tonight should have no need to worry about Jose's veiled remarks and get a good night's sleep. I sincerely hope that applies to none of them, Dele included.

He took a chance making all those changes in the hardest game of the group - 9x is quite excessive and very unwise so he has quite rightly shouldered the blame.

However, he probably thought the 'B' team would put in a shift and really try to impress even if team balance/cohesion was off. Individuals let him and themselves down badly.

He was direct to everyone and those subs are very direct to the offending parties, but that quoted text is really about one player in particular. Bergwijn hasn't been called out in the media like Dele. Carlos is brand new. Gio is coming back from injury. The only one that has been mentioned by the media is Dele.

You don't think for example those comments could equally fit Bale's fitness scenario? ...Or like I said, be a call back to the times he was previously scrutinised about the absense of TN & GLC? ....Or the quotes that Mr. Voldemort Mr. Voldemort provided above about Stevie?

Of course Dele was one of the number, but why would he make the 11 comment if he was merely having a swipe at Dele? ...This is Jose afterall; he's not shy of speaking his mind is he?

Don't think he can be blamed for his team selection today , we want our main players rested in matches like this and hope the squad player can prove their worth. it's just some players actually proving why they are benched instead of proving mourinho wrong.

Yeah, probably any of us would do the same he did today, as we have a big squad and the ideal is to give the players some rest when possible. It's a shame we can't trust our own players, the squad that was playerd today should be able to win against a team like Antwerp, in theory. But in fact some players are just not the standard required.

Said that, hope the experiments ended today and we don't see players like Winks, Dele and Davies playing anymore. Just play our strongest eleven every match and don't involve the players mentioned. Think a rotation at RB could continue, and Vinicius could also play sometimes, as Lamela, Lucas, Bale and Bergwijn should compete for a place as AM.

I didn't see anyone not trying, they might have bad games, make mistakes, be rusty, lack some confidence, but not trying is bollocks. You throw together an irregular team, away from home, with players some of whom don't play much and it's hard to expect much else.

It's my fault but now you know why I don't pick certain players? Hmmm, doesn't sound like he's taking full responsibility to me. The buck stops with the manager - by all means let the players have it behind closed doors but never throw them under the bus in public. He's got the squad he wanted by and large, now get on with the job of coaching them.

The movement and final ball was piss poor tonight in both halves and it wasn't any better on Monday. I suggest he works on that in training before anything else.
Jose struggles against defensive sides, he prefers to counter attack attacking teams but tonight they suckered us at our own game and should've scored 3.

The squad is a team that must come together, I don't wanna hear petulant outbursts from manager or players, shut your gob and do you job. It's ok to say 'the performance wasn't good enough tonight '.
It's not ok to say 'now you know why I don't pick some of these lot'. That's not unity, it's separation and it should be dealt with behind closed doors.

We all want him to succeed and in pushing Levy and helping to attract players he has in large part. But there's always the ego with Jose, the charisma as he calls it, but charismatic types often tend to be selfish/self centred types too. And they're not often the type to suffer criticism very well but rather deflect it - and that wears thin after a while. He's got 2 maybe 3 seasons max to do the business before his shine fades and becomes dull and tired. Quicker he gets on with it the better.

I didn't see anyone not trying, they might have bad games, make mistakes, be rusty, lack some confidence, but not trying is bollocks. You throw together an irregular team, away from home, with players some of whom don't play much and it's hard to expect much else.

It's my fault but now you know why I don't pick certain players? Hmmm, doesn't sound like he's taking full responsibility to me. The buck stops with the manager - by all means let the players have it behind closed doors but never throw them under the bus in public. He's got the squad he wanted by and large, now get on with the job of coaching them.

The movement and final ball was piss poor tonight in both halves and it wasn't any better on Monday. I suggest he works on that in training before anything else.
Jose struggles against defensive sides, he prefers to counter attack attacking teams but tonight they suckered us at our own game and should've scored 3.

The squad is a team that must come together, I don't wanna hear petulant outbursts from manager or players, shut your gob and do you job. It's ok to say 'the performance wasn't good enough tonight '.
It's not ok to say 'now you know why I don't pick some of these lot'. That's not unity, it's separation and it should be dealt with behind closed doors.

We all want him to succeed and in pushing Levy and helping to attract players he has in large part. But there's always the ego with Jose, the charisma as he calls it, but charismatic types often tend to be selfish/self centred types too. And they're not often the type to suffer criticism very well but rather deflect it - and that wears thin after a while. He's got 2 maybe 3 seasons max to do the business before his shine fades and becomes dull and tired. Quicker he gets on with it the better.
This is similar rant to what i have read on united forum , but having a manager who take full responsibility , never slate players publicly and have no ego because he has a bad cv, too afraid to be sacked and just feel very grateful to be there , won't bring you anything, United were trophyless since Jose left and will remain like that for awhile. A top manager have to set some level of standard and have to set some level of ambition and they shouldn't allow anything to lower the level. Only a loser said anything is their fault. Those player being paid handsomely because they are also a public figure so they must also be able to handle public criticism, it's not manager job to pamper their ego on public, this isn't kindergarten where a one of the teacher job is to clean all the shite and pamper the children. If you don't like your favorite player being blamed for putting shite performance then that's your problem.

Last edited:
It's clear as daylight that some of our players just aren't good enough for Jose. When he said they won't be getting any more chances, I think he really means it. This will lead to the same core of players starting almost every match, which will also lead to a higher risk of them getting injured. That being said, transparency is sometimes needed I think. Every player needs to sink this into their minds, that getting selected for games even after shit performance ended last season. You should be improving your game year by year not downgrade. If you are just there to grind your weekly wages and fill in your shift, get out of my club, we don't want you here.

While i don't disagree with his comments for one moment, I do wonder if this is where the rot starts to set in.

We know many of these players feel self entitled and feel normal life rules do not apply to them. They need and want an arm around their shoulder, rather than the public managerial criticism. Hopefully, our players are big enough to see the criticism for what it is and kick on, but if a couple of strong characters take issue with it, will he start to "lose the dressing room". We all know the cycle, it is there for all to see with Jose and the clubs he has been at before.

Again, not criticising his comments, needed to be said, just that will be interesting to see how the players react. That team should have been good enough to get the job done last night without a panic mass substitution. It isn't like they were all just thrown together, they see each other and train with each other every day.

Hugo came out afterwards and said that from the first minute we didn’t have enough intensity. When the captain is saying that there is nowhere for the other players to hide.

If you want to win, then play to win. Too many players treated this like an exhibition match.

Back
Top Bottom